The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi,

I find the Ritter RGS7 classical gigbag I have a bit too tight (low) for my new Cabaret, which I estimate to be about 13cm deep from the bottom of the arched back to the top of the saddle.

It turns out to be quite hard to find specs on classical guitar bags and cases; apparently they're all supposed to be the same size...

Any suggestions from Cabaret owners?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a grand cabaret and have always carried it in a reunion blues (tan) gig bag which is quite stiff, padded, and protective. Tho it was the 90's when i bought it from Jn, i believe it was their classical guitar model. Mine was made as an option for Gene Bertoncini (and he signed it), and Jn said that Gene used that same gig bag. Wonderful guitar....hope you enjoy it!

User Info Menu

I can't say enough about my two Gator ProGo bags. Super heavy duty build. Perfectly efficient pockets for music and other guitar necessities.

And their customer service is exceptional and easily accessible. One of mine was a few years out of warranty and developed a deep kink in the handle. I emailed them and they sent me a whole new case to my door, no questions asked, completely free of any charges, and said keep the old one too.

And whether this matters or not, other players are always impressed when they look it over, and ask me about getting one.

For some reason they fall under the radar, but I've previously used Mono and RB, and I prefer these.

The Classical case specs say 13.5cm inside body depth.

Access to this page has been denied.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 03-15-2023 at 10:19 PM.

User Info Menu

I've learned to take the internal measurements (esp. depth) with a little grain of salt. In fact, when I contacted Ritter to know if their RGP8 model was indeed about 1cm deeper as the RGS7 they told me that it is highly variable on exactly how the stitching worked out. There's lots of that and as you may know, even with a single sewing machine individual operators will usually not get identical results. Plus, they measure only a single item taken from the 1st production run.
    It'd be interesting to know if other companies have similar practices and variability.

Thomann also suggested the Gator G-PG Classic. I'd been looking at their Transit model but I do find both a bit bulky (I also have to store them in my tiny mancave!). There are 2 Gator dealers at about a 35min drive, I'm trying to see with them if I can come do a fitting without obligation to buy.

I'm also still waiting on specs of a nice looking softcase (Tobago ESC-N, clearly something made for the French/EU market).

I have the Ritter RGP8 "super jumbo" bag for my Loar, btw. It's a great bag, with 33mm padding in total, and a huge "embedded" pocket about the headstock. I prefer putting things like a stringwinder there rather than over the body. I like its design too (the "flashy" black & white not so much) and the guitar fits amply with (knee) support and armrest attached. It doesn't fold open too easily because of the shape but it looks like the classical model will not have that problem.
    The RGP8 classical is also rated as 13.5cm deep and that 33mm padding actually has 13mm made of plush and soft foam.

User Info Menu

Update: I received the RGP8 today. It's indeed hardly deeper than the RGS7 I already had but that thicker layer of plush and soft foam may make the difference. The instrument is definitely held a bit less tightly and the overall impression inspires (even) more confidence than the other bag does. Wew, no need to go through the hassle of sending back the shipment, and frankly a bargain at "only" 77€.

Kudos to Thomann; I asked them not to fold the bag this time as that gave small issues with the zipper in the previous 2.

Sadly Ritter have discontinued these series ...