The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

I am lucky enough to own a Gibson 1951 ES-5, but it does not have the original Lifton/Gibson case.

Where would you look to try and find one, any particular dealers or shops? (17" arch top)
    Id consider a modern one that would do a good job protecting it, as likely a lot cheaper too..

Ive seen a few online that are really pretty beatup, I'd like too find something in good shape..

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by maestrodmw
    I am lucky enough to own a Gibson 1951 ES-5, but it does not have the original Lifton/Gibson case.

Where would you look to try and find one, any particular dealers or shops? (17" arch top)
    Id consider a modern one that would do a good job protecting it, as likely a lot cheaper too..

Ive seen a few online that are really pretty beatup, I'd like too find something in good shape..
    I’m in the same situation. I have been watching for the same type of case as you, for my 1947 L7. So far, all I have found is the one listed below. It looks ok, but I would like to check it out in person in case it smells bad or something. I’m not sure it’s worth buying an old one for more money than a high quality new case.
    Vintage 1950s Gibson Acoustic Acoustic Electric Brown Tan Guitar Case 17 Inch | eBay

User Info Menu

Im a case fan and prefer to own guitars with original hard case. It took me years to finally track down an original case for my ‘57 Gibson ES140N. That stated, many original cases are not really form fitting and condition can be iffy. Remember, these were glued together decades ago. Since I’m an “at home player”, original cases are part of my enjoyment.

if looking for real protection, check into a custom Carlton. You could also take the guitar to a well stocked store and try different cases.

User Info Menu

The lifespan of a guitar usually is way longer than the lifespan of its case. Hence that good, fully functional vintage cases are becoming scarce. Good guitars are often guitars that have seen lots of use. And thus their cases have been used a lot as well. Beat up, tolex torn, broken latches etc. If you are lucky and able to fix something yourself and are not too afraid, some damage can be fixed or camouflaged. broken latches can be replaced, loose tolex can be glued on the wooden case again, bare wood can be colorized or cladded with fit to seize pieces of new tolex. I often wondered why there are not a couple of companies that do guitar case refurbishments. Where I live, in the Netherlands, Europe, I was not able to find a company willing and able to repair a vintage guitar case. Even Luggage restoration companies showed not willing to accept that kind of work.
    I have given up years ago to having a functional and period correct case with each guitar. Protection is way more important than period correct. I happen to use my vintage guitars. No expection. Yes, I have at present a 1966 Gretsch with a case that looks awefull, 1 latch broken, but I have new latches laying allready at hand as well as the nails to be able to replace the latches as soon as another latch fails. I have several vintage guitars that no longer have their original or period correct case anymore. My 1977 L5 has a replacement case. I do not care that much. Keeping the guitar safe during transport from home to gig/rehearsal is way more important than origin and/or period correct. But, I am not a collector but above all a user. A case has to be functional, that is safe transport of the guitar has to be #1 priority, rest is nice to have...

User Info Menu

It is really hard to find vintage case in good shape, as has been said. And also hard to tell if the case you get is correct for your guitar.
    Dealers tend to hang on to them in case a guitar comes in with no case.
    TKT makes decent cases unless you want to splurge on one of the high end Calton-type cases.

User Info Menu

+1 to all the above, esp the point about original Gibson archtop cases not always fitting well. If you really want to protect your axe, a modern case that is a good fit is the way to go. Keep the original case in the closet to sell with the guitar.

User Info Menu

A lot of Gibson guitars were sold in the old days without a case. Look at the price lists. The case had a separate price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    A lot of Gibson guitars were sold in the old days without a case. Look at the price lists. The case had a separate price.
    I don't think too many were sold w/out cases. Gibson and Epiphone for example gave a choice of several levels of cases, probably more intended to make more money on each guitar by making a case optional. I don't think many people were walking out of the music store w a brand new guitar sans case.

User Info Menu

Agree w/SS - I recall seeing a lot of Gibsons for sale without a case back in the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I don't think many people were walking out of the music store w a brand new guitar sans case.
    A lot of cardboard cases were sold as an alternative to the more expensive hard case. Not surprisingly, those cases didn't hold up well, and many buyers never got around to getting a better case.

User Info Menu

When I bought my 49 Dangelico NY, some 37 years ago it had beautiful Lifton brown tolex case. The best cases you can get but it also says, Gibson Super 400 on badge under the handle.

I bugged me a few years ago because it probably is not the original one. Well I got over because frankly I see these cases asking well over $1000.

Buy a good TKL for now keep guitar safe and sound. If one ever appears snap it up.

User Info Menu

TKL - World-Class Cases

Just my two cents - Mark C uses these.

I thought there was another big case company based in Canada, which supplied as much of the archtop makers as anyone......I couldn't seem to find their site - -unless it's TKL and they changed logos etc etc etc.....

But my opinion, such as it is, is that if I found I a vintage guitar I wanted, and it had an original or replacement case in decent condition, great !

But - if the case is shot, and won't protect the guitar at all, to me it has no value at all. And when the seller starts ' waxing eloquent ' about how great the case is, even though it's rough, just 'cause it's 'vintage', I usually have to bite my tongue before I go off & tell the guy where to put his case. : )

So if you've got a '50's instrument, don't be afraid of one of these - -they fit the old look fine ! And they're new !

Again, just MHO

User Info Menu

Q: What does "OHSC" mean?
    A: Old, heavy, shitty case you can't use to carry your guitar, which you have to keep in the event you ever want to sell your guitar.
    Q: Why can't you use it to carry your guitar?
    A: Because it's heavy, awkward, and neither fits nor protects your guitar.
    Q: Why were such things ever made in the first place?
    A: In the old days, people thought blisters were a sign of virtue.
    Q: Why do you have to keep it in case you want to sell your guitar?
    A. Because people won't buy a guitar not blessed with the incantation "comes with OHSC."
    Q: Why not?
    A: Because the vintage-guitar priests have so decreed.
    Q: Why do people follow this decree?
    A: Into the valley of death rode the 600.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    TKL - World-Class Cases

I thought there was another big case company based in Canada, which supplied as much of the archtop makers as anyone......I couldn't seem to find their site - -unless it's TKL and they changed logos etc etc etc.....

But my opinion, such as it is, is that if I found I a vintage guitar I wanted, and it had an original or replacement case in decent condition, great !

But - if the case is shot, and won't protect the guitar at all, to me it has no value at all. And when the seller starts ' waxing eloquent ' about how great the case is, even though it's rough, just 'cause it's 'vintage', I usually have to bite my tongue before I go off & tell the guy where to put his case. : )

So if you've got a '50's instrument, don't be afraid of one of these - -they fit the old look fine ! And they're new !

Again, just MHO
    I never use hardshell cases and only use reinforced gig bags. To me, a hardshell case is just something that I have to figure out how to get rid of because I have limited storage room. I recently bought an acoustic guitar, and part of this specific guitar's appeal was that the ad said "does not come with a case." Imagine my consternation when the guitar was delivered WITH a hardshell case.

User Info Menu

As part of my instrument repair work, I often make repairs to vintage cases(for myself, and customers). The repairs range from replacing lid 'stays'(the fabric strip the prevent the lid from opening 180degrees), to 'ribbons'(which hide the hinges when the lid is open), to regluing loose or delaminated plywood corners and layers, regluing loose 'keratol' (predecessor to tolex)and tolex coverings, and replacing broken or missing latches, hinges, and handles. It can be time consuming, and it adds up fast. As noted previously, vintage cases('20's/'30's/'40's/'50's) usually do not hold the instrument securely, and a modern case is usually much better protection. Old cases have their appeal for sure, I own a few(all of which needed repair). My last one is the OC for my '48 National 1135 archtop(made by Gibson, in essence an L-7). Brother, it was a mess: I had to peel away the brown keratol covering, reglue the delaminated back and sides at the end, glue back together the sides to the top and back, reglue the keratol, replace the removed hardware(with split or banana peel rivets), and attache a new replacement leather handle. Looks cool! IMO, unless one lucks out and finds a correct old case at a good price, or owns a vintage instrument with it's OHC, one is better off buying a modern, well fitted case.

IME, when a seller describes an OHSC as worn, but usable...often it is a wreck!

The big advantage to a vintage HSC('20's/'30's/'40's, some '50's) is that they are much lighter weight than a modern case. But less durable.
    Last edited by daverepair; 03-19-2023 at 09:09 AM.

User Info Menu

This is the case for my 1964 ES-335. The original owner was a pro who obviously spent many years on the road!
    I think it's the coolest case ever.....

Vintage Gibson Cases?-img_2825-jpg

It is also really crappy at protecting the instrument, and I don't use it. The guitar has a lot of room to flop around in there because the fit is loose, and all 335 cases from that era were like that. This guitar was shipped to me in this case and arrived with a headstock crack. I guess the original owner was just really careful with it!

User Info Menu

I just bought an ES 125 with the original soft case - the latter in very rough, unusable condition. I wanted to find a period correct case, but was deterred by the crazy high prices for a beat up vintage case. Once I took the measurements of the guitar and the original case, I opted for a new case for much less $ that would do a better job protecting the guitar. I got good advice from this forum as to the size that would best fit my guitar.

There are lots of choices available. I started with Reverb and Ebay. I ended up with a tweed 1950s style case that fits like a glove. I bought it from ZoZo Music in Texas. It came well packed and shipped quickly.

I am not a purist when it comes to cases. Mine cost $200 with sales tax - but there are lots of even cheaper options available. Good Luck

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with a '30s redline case. This one is not as shiny as it used to be, but it works perfectly.

Attached Images Attached Images Vintage Gibson Cases?-gib-redline-case-jpg 

User Info Menu

The original case on my '44 L7 has been through the wars, and I've done some meaningful repairs on the exposed plywood edges using carpenter's glue mixed with sawdust, and clamps. I bought appropriate cloth for covering the worn spots, and re-riveted the loose hinges. It's worked up to this point, but this tread has inspired me to spring for a new TKL LTD case, the 8820 per the TKL rep that I spoke with told me would be appropriate for the non-cut vintage L7. Free Shipping. I love this guitar as much as any of my favorites, and I agree with Dennis D.
    I'll keep the vintage original, but for taking care of my guitar, a couple of Benjamin Franklin's is not too much to spend on one of my girls!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by daverepair

IME, when a seller describes an OHSC as worn, but usable...often it is a wreck!
    And smells like it'd stink up your garage, much less the house ! : )

User Info Menu

Hammer, your case definitely looks more vintage than mine..
    Vintage Gibson Cases?-resized_20230316_101649-jpeg
    I can feel my guitar flop around in there. And in winter excursions I feel like she needs a couple more layers, not to mention the quicker steps I feel inclined to take because I fear the rain might infiltrate as I rush for shelter. I also warm the vehicle so that she doesn't feel the chill.

User Info Menu

Lots of beat but sweet cases here, and I have my share of those!

For something different, here is a faux alligator Lifton case that came with my '55 D28. I've been told that it is of that period but not Martin brand, someone probably upgraded the case when they bought the guitar. Not beat, still sweet!

Vintage Gibson Cases?-55-d28-case-1-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Vintage Gibson Cases?-55-d28-case-jpeg 

User Info Menu

Here’s one more squirrel wanting an original hardshell case for a 1952 L-5C that I bought in April 2022. Nothing wring with the case it came in but I don’t play out anymore, I’m a home fidgeter only but I’d like a period correct case.

I’m getting more serious right now in my hunt for a period correct Gibson amp.

Tom

Vintage Gibson Cases?-703135a3-cc06-4d89-906e-9b1c0c58855c-jpeg

Vintage Gibson Cases?-acfef0ed-51ba-4aa2-858a-185e37301c9e-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    TKL - World-Class Cases

I think you are right. I would probably be better off with a better modern case, than a vintage case if the originals dont support the guitar itself well..
    I reached out to TKL, to ask what would be good fit for my guitar. Any other brands do 17" arch top cases for a decent price? Guitar isn't really leaving the house, just like it to be well protected regardless.. So dont need a fancy Calton or anything

User Info Menu

Really can't go wrong with the right size TLK case. I just bought a tweed Guardian case that's pretty well made and reasonably priced. Plenty of choices out there. Check out some of the cases on Reverb or Ebay. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TAA
    Here’s one more squirrel wanting an original hardshell case for a 1952 L-5C that I bought in April 2022. Nothing wring with the case it came in but I don’t play out anymore, I’m a home fidgeter only but I’d like a period correct case.

I’m getting more serious right now in my hunt for a period correct Gibson amp.

Tom
    That sums up my story as well. If I was leaving the house more with the old guitars, I would prefer a newer sturdy case. Since I stay at home, there is a sense of joy cracking open the old case when getting the guitar out. A matching era amp would be cool to look at.