The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 69

User Info Menu

Jimmy's guitar, resting comfortably in Scotland last time I checked:

Attached Images Attached Images Differences between Trenier & Campellone.......-hof-az-jimmyraney-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmuso
    Jimmy Raney played a handmade Hofner/Zoller model - even the pickup was hand-wound - of which only 4 were produced. Pat Metheny has one. Whatever happended to Jimmy's guitar and how much might it be worth?
    Peter Leitch also played one of those Hofner/Zoller guitars in the latter part of his career. I preferred his sound back when he played an L5CESN, but he said he knocked the L5 over in his apartment and it broke.
    Keith

User Info Menu

I’ve not had the opportunity to play a Campellone, but photos and owner comments attest to his use of beautiful woods and great attention to detail. I own a couple of Treniers, a Jazz Special (laminate construction), and a Jazz Classic (carved spruce and maple). Both are modeled after D’Aquisto models. Given their advanced skills, perhaps the requested comparison is analogous to comparing a Gibson Citation/L5 CES to a 17” D’Aquisto.

Recently I watched a Small’s live video of guitarist Freddy Bryant’s trio; he was playing a 17” Trenier. He sounded good.

An earlier post noted that a number of pro’s play Marchione and Sadowsky archtops. My understanding is Sadowsky designed, but doesn’t build his archtops. He imports them from a Japanese shop and does a final setup in his NY shop.

I‘ll note that along with Trenier and Marchione there are a few other outstanding archtop builders whose instruments are in the same category. They include Koentopp, Wilkie, AJL, Meagan Wells, and a few others. Pro players Ed Cherry, Faton Macula, and Ted Ludwig (sometimes) play out with Wilkie archtops. Price-wise these builders all seem to be in the Trenier-plus range.

AKA
    Last edited by AKA; 03-18-2023 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    Daan Kleijn plays (or used to play, I think he uses a Westville now) a Campellone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8S9H9otkgE
    Last I heard him was on a schottmueler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Jimmy's guitar, resting comfortably in Scotland last time I checked:

Sadly not in my house!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by seventhchord251
    Last I heard him was on a schottmueler
    He changes fast, then

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Do any top level, well known Jazz guitarists other than Pasquale Grasso play instruments made by either luthier?
    Yup Marco Schwartz plays a Campellone

User Info Menu

Top level guitarist who gig many jobs sometimes just play guitars that will get the job done and leave the real good ones at home or in recording studio. What a top level pro plays certainly has meaning but as far as I am concerned not much do I put in any of it. Many great guitarists have gone through guitars that were given to them by makers and then they sold them or went with someone else.

Many unknown but very fine players play guitars made by Campellone and Trenier, as well at Ribbecke. I know fellows on the forum who have Ted Megas guitars and they are as good as they get in my opinion. I find Mark Campellone to be very much different and an amazing fellow in his approach. His waiting list is so long and demand so good I believe he now has what I call the "jimmy D'aquisto syndrome."

In effect towards the end Jimmy's guitars were selling used for more than he was making them just due to demand. Guys did not want to wait and would pay the price. I think Jimmy caught on but maybe did not handle it the best because he was a true fellow. He had orders and he had commitments. I think Mark Campellone could probably simply stop taking any orders and make whatever guitars he wanted in batches that he wanted to deal with. Then he could simply float them on the market and get more money. In fact, I think if he made a batch of say 5 Campellone Deluxes with the appropriate trim he could make much more money. This would allow him to work at a slower pace, or at least one that did not require as much stress. On the other hand, he has not made at least many "one off" presentation type guitars. I have seen a few guitar builders do that and given their profile and notoriety I am completely turned off.

I can say though that if Mark Campellone wanted to do this it would not put me off except of course I could not afford one. I am not speaking for Mark C but with his backlog and reputation for him to be so accessible is amazing. He wins in all the ways and that could very well be why he is where he is today and what I just said is not correct?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Yup Marco Schwartz plays a Campellone
    I am not a top level, well known player by any means. I am not even a legend in my own mind . But tomorrow night at the Crow's Nest in Santa Cruz, I will be playing my first gig on a Campellone. Before the week is out, I will play two or three more gigs on the V1K Custom Campellone.

A review will be forthcoming on this forum sometime in the next week or so. How do I like it so far? Let's put it this way, today, I wrote to Mark Campellone asking to be put on his B list (the wait list for his wait list).

User Info Menu

would that be your first archtop commission?
    some people would never buy a guitar w/out trying it but if it's being made by someone w/this kind of rep there's no worries, guys like this just don't turn out any duds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    would that be your first archtop commission?
    some people would never buy a guitar w/out trying it but if it's being made by someone w/this kind of rep there's no worries, guys like this just don't turn out any duds.
    This would be my first guitar build of any sort...

I know a couple of forum members who have had bad experiences with some well known luthiers (who get a lot of love around here), but I have only heard super positive things about the Campellone build experience. It seems that not only is Mark Campellone a gifted guitar builder, he is also a smart businessman. IMO, Smart businessmen take care of their customers and insure that their reputation is sterling.

Whether this happens is up to fate. Mark has a long waiting list (even the waiting list to be on the waiting list is pretty long) and neither he nor I are young men (This year he turns 69 and I turn 66). Time will tell.

User Info Menu

I know a couple of forum members who have had bad experiences with some well known luthiers (who get a lot of love around here), but I have only heard super positive things about the Campellone build experience. It seems that not only is Mark Campellone a gifted guitar builder, he is also a smart businessman. IMO, Smart businessmen take care of their customers and insure that their reputation is sterling.

Whether this happens is up to fate. Mark has a long waiting list (even the waiting list to be on the waiting list is pretty long) and neither he nor I are young men (This year he turns 69 and I turn 66). Time will tell.
    There are a few guitar shops that maintain regular build spots on Mark’s list. Sometimes those guitars are built to the store’s specs and sold in the store, but some of them will take a customer’s pre-order with the customer’s specs. PM me if you’re interested in my experience.

User Info Menu

In that case ^ [Stringswinger’s post] it would be good if he took on a good apprentice. We don’t want all that knowledge and insight disappearing someday (hopefully not soon!).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    In that case ^ [Stringswinger’s post] it would be good if he took on a good apprentice. We don’t want all that knowledge and insight disappearing someday (hopefully not soon!).
    I don’t think that will happen. Mark is kind of a lone wolf. When he lays down his chisels for the last time that will be it.

User Info Menu

Mark's process in that he has a small range of models that can be individually tailored to the player, most particularly in terms of the desired neck specifications. It allows him to standardize across specific models, and build in a somewhat larger (but still small) quantity, while offering the most important customizations. That way there are no surprises, and many happy customers. I'm also on the waitlist for the waitlist (for the waitlist etc) for my second one. I suggested that he bump previous customers up the list, no surprise that that didn't fly.

Keep up the great work Mark, and congratulations on the success. You've earned it!

User Info Menu

I wrote to Mark Campellone asking to be put on his B list (the wait list for his wait list).
    Wating list B + waiting list A, how long (approx) is the entire wait before one can finally hold a Campellone (just curious)?

User Info Menu

Ford or Ferrari? There so many great choices available,even on the used market! Great to admire them, but these are tools to make music. And if you can afford it buy a bunch and sell the ones that do t speak to you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frabarmus
    Wating list B + waiting list A, how long (approx) is the entire wait before one can finally hold a Campellone (just curious)?
    I am also interested in what the total wait time is for a Campellone. I bet it's long lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frabarmus
    Right now it is about 6 years out assuming Mark doesn't retire first and nobody else cancels.

The best time to get on Mark's list? Yesterday!

User Info Menu

Mark told me yesterday 48 on the A list 19 on the B list which is growing weekly.

The B listers have to hope for A’s to drop out. I got bumped into the next batch. Mark doesn’t allow any cuts in line.
    I tried and it was a flat no.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Mark told me yesterday 48 on the A list 19 on the B list which is growing weekly.

The B listers have to hope for A’s to drop out. I got bumped into the next batch. Mark doesn’t allow any cuts in line.
    I tried and it was a flat no.
    I am number 19 on the B list.. i hope a few guys cancel.

User Info Menu

I am number 19 on the B list.. i hope a few guys cancel.
    They always do because Mark doesn’t require a deposit till the build begins.
    007 got his Deluxe when our other good buddy canceled.

User Info Menu

Holy cow 6 years I was expecting like 1 or 2 years. Dang, I need $5k right now!

User Info Menu

The best time to get on Mark's list? Yesterday!
    ...Ok, that's when all my troubles seemed so far away...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chris32895
    Holy cow 6 years I was expecting like 1 or 2 years. Dang, I need $5k right now!
    Not that surprising, I suppose... considering I'm waiting for an Ibanez AF2000 since October 2022 and it's not yet on my radar...
    For a Campellone I would have thought 3 or 4 years, but if he's got about 60 people on the waiting lists 6 years makes sense, I guess...