The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I live in South West Florida where the humidity is always high. When I play an outdoor gig the neck gets sticky as well as where my forearm touches the guitar. I don't sweat that much, its all humidity. This makes it harder to play.

Have others experienced this and come up with a solution? Other than don't take outdoor gigs...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

No, not where I live. If there is a gig in the open without knowing if there will be a cover, tarp or tent above and there is a light rain forecast, I also take a cheapo guitar besides the L5 and decide on the spot what to use. There are players (not me) that take all the paint and the lacquer from a neck, they say it makes the guitar easier to play. I do not know if that goes for high humidity situations as well. PU or Nitro will make a difference as well...
    As for the forearm sticking to the top: I use longsleeves and roll up the very last part of my RH arm, so that the bridge will not be able to catch a shirt button

User Info Menu

A Tele and a can of Finger Ease?

User Info Menu

Try sweating a little.

User Info Menu

Having gigged in Central Florida many many times I don't know how a person cannot sweat at an outdoor gig there unless we are talking jan-feb dates or just during a rare cold spell. Keep a cloth handy and wipe down back of the neck and armrest area.

User Info Menu

I have damaged a few guitars in the past by playing outdoors in high humidity. I play an L5 or ES-175 on most gigs, but I am very careful these days. If I am playing outdoors, I use a guitar sleeve https://a.co/d/5yLI1wK and I wear a light coloured shirt, so dye doesn’t get absorbed into the guitar’s finish. This seems to work for me. I also have a cheap Ibanez with a poly finish that doesn’t seem to be affected by humidity, but I don’t really enjoy playing that guitar as much as my Gibsons.
    Keith