The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi all,

I had the chance to buy a very cheap 2nd hand Laney Cub 12r amp 2 month ago.
    It's my first all tube amp and I was quite enjoying it but was not completely satisfied as the highs were sounding really harsh.

After a lot of reading on the great internet, I found out that replacing the speaker would have a lot of impact on the amp sound.
    So I have decided to buy a Celestion Greenback speaker to replace the stock Celestion H1265 speaker.
    I love the new Greenback and the result is far beyond my expectations, it was really worth the expense and the effort.

I had fun recording stuffs before and after to do a shoot out video. I have documented the speaker swap with a nice photo slide show ;-)

Unfortunately, that huge difference does not really translate in the recordings.
    I hope you will enjoy the video anyway! Tell me what you think!
    Speaker upgrade greatly improved my cheap tube amp!-celestiongreenback-jpgSpeaker upgrade greatly improved my cheap tube amp!-ampafter-jpg
    Cheers!
    Luc
    Attached Images Attached Images Speaker upgrade greatly improved my cheap tube amp!-img_3269-jpg Speaker upgrade greatly improved my cheap tube amp!-img_3330-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I agree the audible difference is not huge. Having some experience in the field, I can only repeat that the speaker is the most neglected/underrated link in the signal chain. Some just are more dynamic and responsive than others. I'm happy you found a good one.

User Info Menu

Congratulations on your Greenback. Great speaker! It will continue to improve as it breaks in over time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Congratulations on your Greenback. Great speaker! It will continue to improve as it breaks in over time.
    That is indeed the craziest part, I (think I) notice a significant further improvement of the sound after 1 week of playing it on a daily basis!
    Now, it's always difficult to say if this real or mainly my imagination

Cheers,

Luc