The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

1977 Gibson Howard Roberts Artist-20230310_171706-jpg

So I traded against a Les Paul this Howard Roberts Artist this week.
    Has been a working man's guitar, so after 45 yrs it needs a tune and touchup
    I decided to give it a refret, since the really low frets had some stringwear here and there.
    I want it to be as good as possible.

What fretwire do you guys prefer?

Grtz
    Richard

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So I had it refretted, plays and sounds great.
    Had the original pickguard glued back together on a sheet of seethrough plexi, so it won't break anymore and looks original.
    Put Thomastic Benson 0.14 on it and its hard to put it away.
    1977 Gibson Howard Roberts Artist-20230327_135839-jpg

User Info Menu

Now I want a blond one too

User Info Menu

I've always really liked the tone Howard Roberts got on recordings. Congrats on your new guitar!

User Info Menu

Congrats but I'd ditch that guard, it's a mess. It's going to keep offgassing and corroding your strings and any other metal parts close to it as well as the inside of the case lid.

User Info Menu

Yeah but no thnx

User Info Menu

Won't the offgassing melt the finish and the binding as well. It's your choice, but I think you are effectively keeping acid on the guitar.

Anyway, I'm curious why there three knobs on a single pickup.

User Info Menu

you can lead a horse to water....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    ... Anyway, I'm curious why there three knobs on a single pickup.
    From a 2012 article, "The controls are a master volume, mids / bass tone control (or "choke") and a standard tone control."

User Info Menu

Wow, I'd never heard of this phenomena before. So, never store your guitar in it's case, especially for long periods? Perhaps keep it in a gig bag? Not sure if I understand this?

User Info Menu

and an extreme example....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnblues
    Wow, I'd never heard of this phenomena before. So, never store your guitar in it's case, especially for long periods? Perhaps keep it in a gig bag? Not sure if I understand this?
    It's the old Nitrocellulose pick guards. They rot, and it destroys the guitar.

User Info Menu

I’m not one for burgundy, but on that oval hole it looks fab.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Congrats but I'd ditch that guard, it's a mess. It's going to keep offgassing and corroding your strings and any other metal parts close to it as well as the inside of the case lid.
    +1. Once it has started it will only get worse. Your pickup and bracket will be ruined, and probably some of the surrounding finish too. There are plenty of sources for a repro, or even an original.

User Info Menu

Are these Gibsons or a specific brand? What year/s were they manufactured? Glad I don't have any affected guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnblues
    Are these Gibsons or a specific brand? What year/s were they manufactured? Glad I don't have any affected guitars.
    Most, but not all, batches of nitro from any era will eventually degrade, Gibson, Epiphone, D'Angelico, Stromberg etc....

User Info Menu

It's the old Nitrocellulose pick guards.

How do you determine what your pickguard is made of? What defines…”old”?

This a selfish question. I’m not sure my 1952 L-5C has the original pickguard. It is stored in the case unless I’m playing it. I’ve had it since April last year. There is 0 evidence of the damage seen above.

Tom

1977 Gibson Howard Roberts Artist-2ee3941c-2ec3-4f96-a1d0-68fcbd3a3a7e-jpg

User Info Menu

replacement

User Info Menu

OK. So was the original 1952 pickguard made of the offensive material? And if this is a replacement, what is it constructed of? Can that be determined by looking at a photo?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

yes nitro like the current guard

User Info Menu

Hate to keep pestering…..is it bad practice to store the guitar in an enclosed environment like the case?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Only for extended periods in which case you should check it from time to time.

User Info Menu

I take it out to play it a few times a week. And every Monday in the winter, up here in MN, I open the case and tend to the Oasis humidifier gizmo. So looks like I’m doing OK in heading off any de-gassing damage.

Thanks!

Tom

User Info Menu

Yeah, I was referring to extended periods as in months. That guard should last many yrs.

User Info Menu

I am aware of the gassing of the celluloid pickguard.
    It has been doing that the last 46 yrs.
    The pickupcover lost 70% of its gold due to that.
    But the plexi underneath reduced the gassing for what's it worth after 46yrs, with 50% and I keep it on a stand.
    Maybe next yeAr I will put a repro on it, but for now this ugly motherfucker stays on it
    Last edited by Djangorocks1; 03-31-2023 at 04:23 PM.