The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Seriously looking at an Ibanez GB10, but who else makes a 15" archtop, preferably with a single neck pickup? Eastman AR503ce is in the running - 16" I think. Number of pickups not a deal breaker, though would prefer single neck PU unless it's the Ibanez. Budget is around $2500-$2700. Didn't/doesn't Eastman make a smaller archtop that is thinner?

Also: I've got a really nice tortoise Pete Biltoft CCH - wonder how it would sound in the Eastman 503? If I went that route, I would yank all the electronics and rewire with all new US parts.

Also thinking about the Gretsch 6122-1959 since I play Chet stuff a lot but I think it's 17". I've played Teles so long that a full sized archtop just isn't comfortable.

Open for suggestions.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Skip:
    I’ve little experience with Eastman or Gretsch so won’t comment. But here’s what I do know on a CCH a the GB10.
    I did try a Biltoft CCH on my PM200. I just could not warm to it, but that just may be me. I didn’t care for the feel while playing. It did sound its own sound. However after a life of humbuckers that’s probably not a surprise.

I think you’ll find GB10 players here are pretty solid behind that guitar. My GB10 (MIJ) is my favorite over my collection: L5, TF, LGB300, PM200, AF200. Very comfortable, the neck is not ‘skinny’ but measures close to the TF neck. I have a Fralin custom wound at the neck and it’s a nice blend of the guitar’s inherent punch and HB warmth.

Since I’m fighting back from some fractured vertebrae, the small body love on my part might be fueled by my comfort playing.

But… as always it’s what feels, plays and sounds like that inspires you, not forum members.

jk

User Info Menu

The Eastman AR603CE is a 15" archtop.

User Info Menu

How about grabbing a used Eastman Frank Vignola model? Used Eastman FV680CE Hollow Body Electric Guitar Sunburst | Guitar Center

User Info Menu

The Jimmy Bruno Sadowski is coming back. He's been using a new one on his youtube channel.

User Info Menu

The Peerless Martin Taylor were 15-inchers and both the Fibonacci Martin Taylor Joya and Fibonacci Californian ae as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JWMandy
    The Peerless Martin Taylor were 15-inchers and both the Fibonacci Martin Taylor Joya and Fibonacci Californian ae as well.
    I've been eyeballing the Fibonacci guitars but they're way above my pay grade. I've thought about the Peerless but can't get past that scarf jointed neck even though it's very practical and probably doesn't make a bit of difference. I just don't like it. If they made the joint like Taylor or most of the classical builders, I wouldn't mind it but I just don't like where they put it. I've watched the Conti guitars for a while (made by Peerless) and they have the same thing but cover some of them with a sunburst. Seems like a decent guitar for the money, though. I'm still leaning toward a newer GB10 even if I have to bring one in from Japan.

User Info Menu

PRS makes the 15" Paul Jackson, Jr. model.

GearHead: Paul Reed Smith's JA-15 - JazzTimes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    PRS makes the 15" Paul Jackson, Jr. model.

GearHead: Paul Reed Smith's JA-15 - JazzTimes

These haven't been made since around 2012 or so, and when they do pop up on the used market, are over the OPs budget. Great guitars, I loved mine and if I had the ability or desire to stockpile instruments, I would have kept mine.

User Info Menu

The Eastman T145 is a very nice 15" carved top, single pickup model. I think you'll have to find one used, though, and they're not that common. But the one I had, and unfortunately sold, was a great guitar. 1.75" deep at the rims, 1.75" nut width (that isn't attractive to some), sounded great, played great, very comfortable. Good luck finding one, though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The Eastman T145 is a very nice 15" carved top, single pickup model.
    That's a nice one ...

S

User Info Menu

Here's an interesting option - a Hofner Club 40 or Club 50. 13" wide. 2 1/2" rims. 24 1/2” scale. Plenty of vintage ones out there, but there are also a few re-issues built by Hofner between @2007 and @2020. These are completely hollow, laminated instruments with elevated fretboards, 14th fret neck/body joints, floating bridges and trapeze tailpieces - they play like traditional jazz guitars. In additional to my sunburst Club 50, I have a NOS natural finish one without hardware that could be configured any way you want, if that interests you (I have all the required Hofner parts as well), within your budget. Hmmm, time to install the tailpiece and bridge, and string it up, regardless.
    Attached Images Attached Images 15" Archtop?-hof-club50-ri-proto-sbc-jpg 15" Archtop?-hof-club-nos_1809-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 02-08-2023 at 11:40 PM.

User Info Menu

The Eastman T145 is a very nice 15" carved top, single pickup model.
    I had T145 with two pickups.Really nice guitar.

User Info Menu

Eastman AR580CES. Great guitar. Very well made. However, it's a 16". Wonderful guitar though.

User Info Menu

The Guild M75 Aristocrat
    It's fully hollow with parallel bracing
    The back is solid mahogony.
    The bridge looks like it's ES335 if you just look at it, but it's 2 metal posts floating on the top
    A bit of an oddball design, but it sounds really good and the quality is excellent.
    And it' s a bit less than 15, maybe 14,5? The specs are very precise on the Guild website..

User Info Menu

The Eastman T145 is a very nice 15" carved top, single pickup model. I think you'll have to find one used, though, and they're not that common. But the one I had, and unfortunately sold, was a great guitar. 1.75" deep at the rims, 1.75" nut width (that isn't attractive to some), sounded great, played great, very comfortable. Good luck finding one, though.

FYI

Eastman T146SM All Solid Thinline Archtop Electric Guitar w/ | Reverb

User Info Menu

The T146 is a 16" guitar, and still in production AFAIK, they're somewhat common used. But an inch wider than a T145. Wouldn't matter much to me, but it would to some people.

User Info Menu

Current T146 is SM model.It's x-braced.Previously produced T146 and 145 were SMD models with parallel bracing.Better IMO.Had them all.
    Last edited by Jerzy; 02-12-2023 at 08:46 AM.

User Info Menu

My two archtops: 2005 15" Sadowsky Jimmy Bruno (laminate) ; 2006 15" Eastman AR803CE-15 (carved). The 803 is the same as the 603, but with a maple body instead of mahogany. I'd like to try the 603 some time to hear the difference. Who knows, I might like the mahogany better. BTW, my Carvin SH575 Semi is also 15".

15" Archtop?-15in-archtops-jpg

User Info Menu

Collings Eastside Jazz (laminated) and Collings CL Jazz are both 15” and exquisite albeit quite different soundwise.

User Info Menu

Stephen Holst will make a 14.75 laminate for $3500.

luthier stephen holst archtop guitars