The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have one of the thick Italian straps that is difficult to get off without loosening the pins on my archtop

Will a larger pin help and if do what is a high quality pin to use?
    Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I recently lost my old broken in Italia strap after 10 yrs but had a new spare since I bought them during their bogo sale.
    Very very tough to get it over the button at first but is getting easier every time.
    Whatever you do dont enlarge the hole in the strap, it'll be too loose over time.

User Info Menu

I love the idea of broad, thick and classic leather straps but in my experience Italia has gone too far in the thickness department. They are pain in the ass to get to the pin, they are pain in the ass to get to a strap lock and they are quite stiff to put on and off.

That’s too many pains in the ass for me, so I sold my Italias and changed the brand. Good luck with them, they look good!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzimprov
    I have one of the thick Italian straps that is difficult to get off without loosening the pins on my archtop

Will a larger pin help and if do what is a high quality pin to use?
    Thanks
    I don't have a thick Italian strap - or for that matter a thick strap of any other nationality - so I don't have that problem. What I do have that I think may help you is a D'Addario elliptical end pin. It's shaped like a football so it might be easier to get your strap on and off as you can slip the narrow, pointed end of the pin through the strap hole first and ease it on or off instead of having to expand the hole to its widest point all at once (see pic).

Strap Pins-img-2198-jpg

User Info Menu

I don't know if this will work for you, but the type of straplocks gretsch uses might help.
    The whole pin can be twisted off the actual screw, so it's kinda easy to put on a strap.

User Info Menu

How about one of these?

Just a moment...

User Info Menu

Good overview over what's available:

The Schallers may be the best solution for the OP.