The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

This guitar is listed as a spruce top but cannot find out if it is actually carved, leminated, or pressed in any of the literature they publish. It is an important question and even google did not yield me an answer. I am sure someone here knows.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's laminated.

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    It's laminated.
    I figured that based on the price and the wording but wanted to ask to make sure thank you.

User Info Menu

It’s a great guitar. I love mine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    It’s a great guitar. I love mine.
    I pm'ed you Rob ....

User Info Menu

And I’ve just replied.

User Info Menu

There once was a single run of a solid top Ibanez that did indeed have a pressed spruce top. I thought it was the AF2000 but I stand corrected. Good to know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    There once was a single run of a solid top Ibanez that did indeed have a pressed spruce top. I thought it was the AF2000 but I stand corrected. Good to know.
    I was under the impression it was the GB200 until I bought one and took the pickup out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    I was under the impression it was the GB200 until I bought one and took the pickup out.
    Nah, it wasn't part of the Benson line. Ha, I should've bought one just so I'd remember for the future.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Nah, it wasn't part of the Benson line. Ha, I should've bought one just so I'd remember for the future.
    The only solid top iby i’m aware of, is the 2460, 2470, 2471, FA-700 and FA-800

User Info Menu

SJ300 and SS300 are both pressed solid spruce tops I believe [Chinese].

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thelostboss
    SJ300 and SS300 are both pressed solid spruce tops I believe [Chinese].
    Right you are!

I’ve had the Sj300

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    The only solid top iby i’m aware of, is the 2460, 2470, 2471, FA-700 and FA-800
    All with pressed solid tops, I suppose.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote61
    All with pressed solid tops, I suppose.
    The 2460 is advertised as having a carved top but I think the 2471 had a carved top too. The one I had (now with fellow forum member) certainly seemed to point in that direction. The top wasn't a uniform thickness and when I put an inspection camera inside, the underside of the top around the neck was flat, yet the top of the body in the same area was curved.
    Last edited by Archie; 03-14-2023 at 02:37 PM.

User Info Menu

From a bit of research what I’ve found is that the Fa700,800,2470,2471 models were all most likely carved tops. Apparently ibanez ‘experimented’ a bit with solid pressed tops but it was short lived. The 2460’s were laminated and 24 3/4’s scale although it sounds like it’s more than possible some slipped through with carved tops. In addition, some of these instruments sporadically had solid backs and sides. Not sure about the example I picked up from Rich but I can say it’s bookmatched on the inside and outside for what it’s worth (which might be an indicator)!

User Info Menu

reader I bought Rob’s Af2000 !

Its excellent , I’m very very pleased

Rob was excellent to deal with
    throughout and a true gentleman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chris236
    From a bit of research what I’ve found is that the Fa700,800,2470,2471 models were all most likely carved tops. Apparently ibanez ‘experimented’ a bit with solid pressed tops but it was short lived. The 2460’s were laminated and 24 3/4’s scale although it sounds like it’s more than possible some slipped through with carved tops. In addition, some of these instruments sporadically had solid backs and sides. Not sure about the example I picked up from Rich but I can say it’s bookmatched on the inside and outside for what it’s worth (which might be an indicator)!
    here’s the catalogue description that has caused so much confusion:
    AF2000 ARTSTAR  Ibenez ?-2befbb74-1168-4219-9047-4856381856e6-jpeg
    Last edited by Chris236; 03-14-2023 at 04:14 PM.