The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Hi folks,
    In an effort to downsize and recoup some costs for a recent purchase, I've decided (I think) to part ways with 2 of the 3 these Gibson amps.
    Not pictured (slightly appearing behind the GA-79) is a GA-18T that I WILL be keeping, but 2 of the 3 featured in the photo will need to move onto someone else.

So.......which one would you keep?????

P.s- whatever one I keep will be used for archtops and clean Jazz usage.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!
    Last edited by DMgolf66; 02-06-2023 at 09:57 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Can only keep one:  GA-30 RVT, GA-79 RVT, or GA-45-20230204_091203-jpg

User Info Menu

If you have a stereo guitar or effect, that GA79 is too good to let go. And IIRC the 30 has one 10 and one 12, which give it a unique clean tone. The 45 is the most ordinary - it’s “just” a 2x10.

So I’d let the 45 go for sure. And I think the 79 is way too cool to dump, so I’d let the 30 go too.

But…..the Explorer is a nice little jazz amp, but it’s only about 12 watts. So if you need a gigging amp, you may want to keep the 30 if the 79 doesn’t do what you need it to do. The 79 60 watts with both channels cooking, so it’ll gig great.
    Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 02-06-2023 at 12:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Keep the GA-79. It looks so good with all those fine instruments. It conjures images of classic jazz clubs of the 60's. Dinner jackets and martinis. The room just won't be the same without it!

Disclaimer: I've never seen any of these in person, let alone played one. I only know what I've been able to Googlerize over the last half hour or so. Hopefully you'll get more substantive input like Never's.

Also, while I like that it says Maestro on it, I'd get tired of explaining why I use an accordion amp for guitar :-)

User Info Menu

Hardly a Sophie’s choice.

Gizmo for a hoppy versus which of your children to live?

User Info Menu

Sell a guitar instead, vintage Gibson amps go up in value every year.

User Info Menu

I'd trade any one of those for a GA 50. I'd also trade all three for one Fender amp.

I'm not crazy about Gibson amps from the 40s/50s. The circuits are great but to me the cabinets have felt inferior to Fender amps in both design and quality.

User Info Menu

I gigged w a GA-50 exclusively for 8 yrs. It wasn't until I started playing in Hammond organ bands that I had to give it up.
    The 40s and 50s cabinets are no worse than the prewar EH cabs, a non issue imo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alder Statesman
    Hardly a Sophie’s choice.

Gizmo for a hoppy versus which of your children to live?
    Figure of speech, pop reference, etc. Someone in the Gibson amp Facebook page said it. Wasn't meant to offend.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I gigged w a GA-50 exclusively for 8 yrs. It wasn't until I started playing in Hammond organ bands that I had to give it up.
    The 40s and 50s cabinets are no worse than the prewar EH cabs, a non issue imo.
    I'm not crazy about the 30s cabinets either!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    I'm not crazy about the 30s cabinets either!
    I get it, but honestly I never thought about it too much because the amps sound so good.
    Sometimes I miss playing my old Gibsons but I'm in a different place now, it's just blackface Fenders.

User Info Menu

I have never had a Gibson amp but I am sure glad you a long ways from MN.
    Thanks John

User Info Menu

The pretty carry handle on that maestro has superior tone qualities over the other two IMO. So I would keep that one.

User Info Menu

“Accordion amplifier”?

User Info Menu

I had a ga30, wasn’t super impressed with it.
    but that ga-79! You’d be crazy to get rid of that!

User Info Menu

GA 79 KEEP They only made like 28 of them.
    I have a GA40T and there all hard to let go of.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    “Accordion amplifier”?
    Actually the were made for the ES 355

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    I'd trade any one of those for a GA 50. I'd also trade all three for one Fender amp.

I'm not crazy about Gibson amps from the 40s/50s. The circuits are great but to me the cabinets have felt inferior to Fender amps in both design and quality.
    They were made with redwood, much lighter and very well made cabs. Fender were mostly west coast and that's why they servived better than the east coast Gibsons.