The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15
    Hey everybody,

I recently asked a version of this question on Reddit. What is everyone's opinions of the D'angelico EXL-1 ? I've read quite a bit and some people love them, some people talk about how the quality is so variable and that they're cheap pieces of trash leaching off the the value attached the historical D'angelico name...

For background, I'm primarily a classical player and I'm interested in buying my first jazzbox. I went to a local guitar center and they had a used Premier EXL-1. I liked the feel and the sound better than any of the other hollow bodies they had.-- although I only played them acoustic and didn't plug any of them in.

A weird aspect of this situation is that I have a many hundreds of dollars of Amazon gift cards, so I'm planning on either buying a guitar through Amazon, or, more likely, buying a bunch of Guitar Center gift cards and buying something there. Both of those options are less than ideal but it is what it is.

If anyone has any other suggestions for around $1000, please let me know. I'm not looking for a really versatile archtop that can play rockabilly and blues and stuff -- that would be cool, but right now I'm invested in just a straight ahead jazz guitar that I could hopefully use for solo gigs or possible small ensembles.

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Are you looking for a 17" only?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by briandavidyork
    Hey everybody,

I recently asked a version of this question on Reddit. What is everyone's opinions of the D'angelico EXL-1 ? I've read quite a bit and some people love them, some people talk about how the quality is so variable and that they're cheap pieces of trash leaching off the the value attached the historical D'angelico name...

For background, I'm primarily a classical player and I'm interested in buying my first jazzbox. I went to a local guitar center and they had a used Premier EXL-1. I liked the feel and the sound better than any of the other hollow bodies they had.-- although I only played them acoustic and didn't plug any of them in.

A weird aspect of this situation is that I have a many hundreds of dollars of Amazon gift cards, so I'm planning on either buying a guitar through Amazon, or, more likely, buying a bunch of Guitar Center gift cards and buying something there. Both of those options are less than ideal but it is what it is.

If anyone has any other suggestions for around $1000, please let me know. I'm not looking for a really versatile archtop that can play rockabilly and blues and stuff -- that would be cool, but right now I'm invested in just a straight ahead jazz guitar that I could hopefully use for solo gigs or possible small ensembles.

Thanks!
    FWIW there are several models(quality ) of EXL-1..... from different builds (countries) .The one you tried is actually an entry level ( all Premier instruments are as far as I know) If you can get your hands on an Excel EXL-1 or a Throwback those are better instruments (my .02 cents).The ones I've tried are excellent (pun intended)

There are other builders like Eastman to consider in that price range possibly also avail at GC...

Good luck with your quest and report back

S

User Info Menu

I think the Premier EXL-1 has a current MSRP of $1100, and there are many used ones out there for $6-700 (including a few at GC). A new basic Godin 5th Avenue also has an MSRP under $1k. There are options in both lines - 1 or 2 pickups, colors, cutaway or none (for the Godin) etc. You’d have to play them yourself to see which appeals more to you, but either is a good instrument.

Out of curiosity, I just looked for used Eastman archtops at GC’s website. They show both a 371 and a 372 for $850 each. Given the current upward spiral in Eastman archtop prices, I’m surprised they still have these under $1k. They’re excellent guitars, assuming they’re in great condition. I’d take one over an EXL-1 Premier any day. I haven’t seen or played an Excel, so I can’t say that I’d take a 371 or 2 over it.

As has already been said, if size matters to you, the EXLs are the 17s of choice in that price range. I don’t know of any alternative.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by briandavidyork
    Hey everybody,

Thanks!
    A couple of thoughts…

D’Angelico makes 2 versions of the EXL-1 (and most of their other models): Premier and Excels. The Excels are made in Korea out of better materials and with better pickups, with nicer finishes, and are assembled with a better QA/QC. The Premiers are the lower end range made in Indonesia. There’s a noticeable difference between them IMO, and it’s worth checking both out.

Don’t buy either without plugging them in. Distinctions between them aside, they both have floating pickups, which yields a different sound from pickups that are attached directly to the guitar top. Before buying an archtop, you should try some examples of both styles of pickup attachment. Either way, the sound of the guitar unplugged is not the sound of the guitar plugged in. If you buy one solely on the basis of the unplugged sound, you might be in for an unpleasant surprise.

For alternatives, assuming a budget of around $1000 and buying from GC, I’d recommend adding used guitars to the mix. They actually have a lot in inventory, will ship to your local branch (so you can return it on the spot if you don’t like it), and have 45 day unlimited return policy.

I just took a quick look there and saw several used Excel EXL-1’s and a Deluxe (a higher quality tier they’re not making anymore). Some other cool stuff too, e.g., a Godin Kingpin II, a Penco 70's copy of a Gibson Howard Roberts, several Ibanez LGB30s,
    and an Epiphone Emperor Regent. I’d take any of these over a new Premier EXL-1 (on paper, anyway. It’s hard to know what one winds up preferring guitar in hand).

User Info Menu

I have an exl1 made in Korea before they had various models . I like it. Great neck. I had to some things to it after I bought it. After I set it up, straightened the neck and adjusted the action , the bridge post ens stuck out above the bridge so a cut them off a little. Filed the fret ends and leveled the upper frets. Also the high E bridge slot was cut in the wrong place , able to re cut. Also the pick up pole pieces needed a balance adjustment. Once all the was done the guitar sounded and played better. What made a big difference was putting flat wounds on it.

I think the import KA jazzy joe isn’t the best but the newer ones may have a better pick up.

Overall happy with it, I like the Eastmans also, probably better but also cost more.

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    Are you looking for a 17" only?
    Not necessarily. I don't honestly know the difference too much. I've watched a few videos and I seem to like the sound of the bigger hollow bodies, but I'm pretty new to the world of jazz guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I think the Premier EXL-1 has a current MSRP of $1100, and there are many used ones out there for $6-700 (including a few at GC). A new basic Godin 5th Avenue also has an MSRP under $1k. There are options in both lines - 1 or 2 pickups, colors, cutaway or none (for the Godin) etc. You’d have to play them yourself to see which appeals more to you, but either is a good instrument.

Out of curiosity, I just looked for used Eastman archtops at GC’s website. They show both a 371 and a 372 for $850 each. Given the current upward spiral in Eastman archtop prices, I’m surprised they still have these under $1k. They’re excellent guitars, assuming they’re in great condition. I’d take one over an EXL-1 Premier any day. I haven’t seen or played an Excel, so I can’t say that I’d take a 371 or 2 over it.

As has already been said, if size matters to you, the EXLs are the 17s of choice in that price range. I don’t know of any alternative.
    Godin's seem like cool high quality Instruments, but all the videos I've seen of 5th avenues seemed a bit too "punchy" for me. It seemed awesome for a guitar that could get crunchier blues tones or some rock. But the Exl-1 has that really smoothe mellow tobe I associate with jazz. And honestly, I just like the way they look too, although I'm trying to not let that sway me too much.

Maybe a good amp would compensate? Or maybe I'm being a little too picky. Not totally sure, but all the videos I've seen of the Exl-1 have that classic jazz tone.

I'll definitely look into those Eastman's. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    A couple of thoughts…

D’Angelico makes 2 versions of the EXL-1 (and most of their other models): Premier and Excels. The Excels are made in Korea out of better materials and with better pickups, with nicer finishes, and are assembled with a better QA/QC. The Premiers are the lower end range made in Indonesia. There’s a noticeable difference between them IMO, and it’s worth checking both out.

Don’t buy either without plugging them in. Distinctions between them aside, they both have floating pickups, which yields a different sound from pickups that are attached directly to the guitar top. Before buying an archtop, you should try some examples of both styles of pickup attachment. Either way, the sound of the guitar unplugged is not the sound of the guitar plugged in. If you buy one solely on the basis of the unplugged sound, you might be in for an unpleasant surprise.

For alternatives, assuming a budget of around $1000 and buying from GC, I’d recommend adding used guitars to the mix. They actually have a lot in inventory, will ship to your local branch (so you can return it on the spot if you don’t like it), and have 45 day unlimited return policy.

I just took a quick look there and saw several used Excel EXL-1’s and a Deluxe (a higher quality tier they’re not making anymore). Some other cool stuff too, e.g., a Godin Kingpin II, a Penco 70's copy of a Gibson Howard Roberts, several Ibanez LGB30s,
    and an Epiphone Emperor Regent. I’d take any of these over a new Premier EXL-1 (on paper, anyway. It’s hard to know what one winds up preferring guitar in hand).
    Thanks for all the recommendations. Great to know about the GC return policy!

I really like the floating pickup sound.

I definitely plan on spending some more time trying stuff out, especially with an amp.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

DA had a few of the "Throwback" series archies that were just fantastic. But short-lived.
    I saw a few on GC sites, and I played one at their HQ here in NYC. I loved it.
    If you can find one - check them out. It had that George Benson sound, at least for me because it was an easy playing guitar- maybe something you need to was in your criteria?

A few of their latest models are very nice as well. Their quality is improving as they move forward. I played some of their newest. I was very impressed (and I am very picky!)

User Info Menu

D'Angelico EXL-1-20200407_083350-jpg

This is a 16" D'Angelico EXS-1 with a Charlie Christian pickup. This was customized by the gentleman who worked for the D'Angelico company when they were in NJ.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Mack
    DA had a few of the "Throwback" series archies that were just fantastic. But short-lived.
    I saw a few on GC sites, and I played one at their HQ here in NYC. I loved it.
    If you can find one - check them out. It had that George Benson sound, at least for me because it was an easy playing guitar- maybe something you need to was in your criteria?

A few of their latest models are very nice as well. Their quality is improving as they move forward. I played some of their newest. I was very impressed (and I am very picky!)
    There was this thread about the EXL D'Angelico EXL-1

Interesting conversation and there's a clip that partly illustrates the GB sound mentioned above..although quite different from the Ibanez models , I feel it's more like what GB used(the larger Gibsons or Guilds) in his earlier Jazz guitar recordings .

Tidbit:
    I have a mint one for sale from 2015 , young prospective buyer comes in to try it yesterday, he has these comments : It plays wonderfully, great neck and is perfectly intonated across the entire neck but, action is too low ..

S

User Info Menu

I had an EXL1 a few years ago. Thought it was fine, especially for the price. The holes in the bridge saddle were not drilled at the proper angle when I got it. I contacted D’Angelico and they sent me a new saddle right away, along with a bunch of swag. The guitar set up beautifully and had a nice unplugged sound - especially for a laminated top. The plugged in sound was okay, but not great. I would have changed the pickup had I kept the guitar. I would recommend one of these for a guitar in that price range. Good move to buy one from GC, because of the return policy that others have mentioned.

Edit: This was the Excel model.
    Last edited by Zigracer; 02-08-2023 at 12:00 PM.

User Info Menu

in case you are coming from classical, be aware of nut width. You will find the neck extremly narrow, so it is recommended to choose an 1 3/4 neck instead 1 11/16. Seems to not a big difference, but indeed it is. EXL 1 is 1 11/16, ES 371 or 372 is 1 3/4. When evaluating a candidate, always look for the nut width too, besides of other parameters (like price :-)

User Info Menu

... majority of posts do not clarify which EXL-1... There are Excel and Premiere. The price difference is big, and talking about quality, it would be good if we know which one.

I have an Excel EXL-1 and it has great amplified sound even with the factory electronics. The acoustic sound is pretty dead, thanks to the enourmous amount of poly over the wood. Wounderfully manufactured beautiful and very playable instrument with playability and sound of $5000 - $10000 guitars.

Be warned, because of quality control is probably low you can run into aesthetic flaws (who cares, this is not a relic), and also can run into serious manufacturing flaw, what may cost you extra bucks (100-500?) and force you visit a luthier. In case you calculate this into the price (and your time) you ready to go.