The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

Before and after

How a Borys tailpiece SHOULD look-d46e2e61-f2b7-4bae-8070-1879936d6673-jpgHow a Borys tailpiece SHOULD look-fff14934-d22f-44a7-8864-aa47274a04de-jpgHow a Borys tailpiece SHOULD look-dad05364-59ac-4484-a081-04da3f99566c-jpgHow a Borys tailpiece SHOULD look-d5e71dc1-687c-4b8a-99e8-833f062be84c-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Glad to hear you're getting happy with it Vin!

I actually really like the un-polished on mine. But I tend towards low bling. No fretboard inlays, no pick-guard and ebony tuner buttons.

I've had thoughts about what Roger's doing there. I don't think it's relic-ing. The part that holds the strings is a casting brazed to a stamped piece of brass. The torch will do that to brass. There's photos on his site under 'around the shop' of tail pieces in progress. He's either had enough of sucking rouge, getting lazy, or getting artistic with it :-)

FWIW: If you search 'raw brass' you'll find a lot of horns and plumbing fixtures that look the same.

User Info Menu

Geez, I've seen so many antiqued ones I'm used to them.

User Info Menu

I like both the before and the after.

I had it gold plated by Advanced Plating. They do all the tailpieces for Gibson.

User Info Menu

It looks great Vinny. I like the original look too but nothing like a shiny gold tailpiece!

Doug

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I had it gold plated by Advanced Plating. They do all the tailpieces for Gibson.
    Whoaa!! Next level. I didn't pick that up. Nice work man!

User Info Menu

Looks great! How do you like the sound of the Borys?

User Info Menu

You are going to need to change that pickup cover. That's some shine!

User Info Menu

Vinny,
    Nice to see you adding your own touches. The tail pc looks like polished jewlery....quite striking and beautiful. Hope your enjoying the guitar Vinny.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

If you ever watched Antique Roadshow you'd know that the Keno brother's are not happy about this

User Info Menu

If you remove the patina, you reduce the value to collectors by 50% or so.

It now matches the tuners. I also replaced the nickel input jack with a gold one.

How a Borys tailpiece SHOULD look-2a2a8b25-10a3-455a-8385-1f1c65a9202b-jpgHow a Borys tailpiece SHOULD look-36861d31-67cf-4609-9fae-76d09d92b42f-jpg

User Info Menu

Looks great Vinnie! Are you enjoying the guitar? Mine is one of my favorites.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    If you remove the patina, you reduce the value to collectors by 50% or so.
    Not in every case. That would make this guitar worth about $3,000. I'd ecstatically pay that.

User Info Menu

It now matches the tuners. I also replaced the nickel input jack with a gold one.
    I admire your attention to detail! I went the other route: ebony buttons. They match the naked fret-board, but they don't match the tail piece or the jack though...Dang! Hope you like yours as much as I like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill
    Looks great Vinnie! Are you enjoying the guitar? Mine is one of my favorites.
    I am a Gibson / Campellone guy. This guitar is too small for me.
    I was given sound advice from Stringswinger (Marco).
    Wait till Roger stops making them then sell it.
    With shipping I paid $6300 + $160 to fix the pickup and level the frets.
    The gold plating was $220.
    Wave $6K under my nose and it’s yours. I will never play it.
    I like Campellone’s, L-5’s, and S400’s.
    Laminates….Tal Farlows and 175’s float my boat.

User Info Menu

wow vinny, I think you just broke the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    Looks great! How do you like the sound of the Borys?
    It sounds like a laminate Holst to my ears.

User Info Menu

Both luthiers (Borys/Holst) have their laminated plate construction down IMHO!

User Info Menu

Bro, when you have Campellones, L5’s, Super400’s and 175’s - it is very difficult, almost unfair to expect anything else to match up. It’s like where do you go from there? I can’t play anything else on the same day that I play my L5’s. Even when I play my 175, it doesn’t match up to my L5’s. By comparison, my L5’s sound like I have 2 guitars on my lap compared to anything else. That’s why they are the best. Well to me anyway.
    JD

User Info Menu

JD,
    We know that any guitar that crosses Vinny's threshold is entering some hallowed real estate defined by the presence of archtop royalty and the monarchy always by an hierarchy. Campellone and Gibson's at Vinny's!

User Info Menu

Gentlemen of refined taste have sampled the finest and know what they prefer.

I'm a back-water hick. Saw some Gibson archtops when I went to The Big City. Hain't never touched one m'self. Scarce as feathers on a frog round these parts I reckon.

User Info Menu

If you’re interested in a fairly pristine early 60s L5C, I may have one for sale. I’ve never advertised the selling of my guitars, always just sold em outright to CME or a place like that. I bought this guitar from a renowned guitarist, Jack Cecchini, who knows guitars (he worked for Fender, and Yamaha, Koontz-D-‘Aquisto-Benedetto et al were/are his close friends). I no longer play 6 string guitars, so this is just sitting there. Jack said, “if you ever sell this guitar, you’re stupid”/. I get it, but I’ll be playing 8 string guitars from now on til I die. I got addicted. I don’t need anything else.

I’m not ready to advertise it or ship it anywhere, but if you want to see it-happy to meet anywhere in CA and you really dig it, it’s possible to sell it. DM for more info.

User Info Menu

Just thought I'd put this out there for anyone who might be looking to have gold hardware re-plated - I have all my plating work done right here in RI (plating and polishing used to be big business here, back when RI was the center of the costume jewelry industry - just a few businesses remain now that much of that work as gone overseas) - G&A plating in Cranston, RI does very nice work at very reasonable prices - the owner, Jim Brown, is a nice guy, and anyone contacting him can feel free to mention my name -