The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Been haunted by these since I played one back in the early 80s that a guy brought into store for fretwork. Also, missed one locally a few years ago for $1200 when I couldn't come up with the funds in time - best neck I ever played.....anywhere. I'm thinking of maybe buying one more guitar (I know, I know) and that would be the one. Been looking at an Eastman AR503ce which is quite a bit less costly but, if I could find a GB10 in the low $2000 range, I might sell some stuff and go for it. Question: after which years would I be pretty much assured of not getting involved with binding rot? I've been through that with some Gretsches and don't want to deal with it again. I want a good solid guitar that will last me and I don't have to worry about disintegrating on me. I'm looking for mostly chord melody, so I think either would work just fine but the Ibanez just played sooooo good.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

AFAIK the 90's models and younger don't suffer from that .... Good luck and have fun with the hunt !

User Info Menu

I know many like GB10 guitars and seems they work. I think in general they have decent QC. Personally for myself I have never seen the draw. The body is too small and not really an acoustic guitar, yet floating pick ups. I have played them but compared to 175, Heritage, or Guild they don’t add up. I am probably in the minority but my mindset says American made guitars are simply better in long run.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I know many like GB10 guitars and seems they work. I think in general they have decent QC. Personally for myself I have never seen the draw. The body is too small and not really an acoustic guitar, yet floating pick ups.
    George had been playing a Johnny Smith at the time they were working out the details of the GB10, and I think he was just enamored with the "romance" of the appearance of floaters. But yeah, it is a little odd. Definitely cork sniffer material.

Incidentally, many people don't know that there was a full Johnny Smith sized BG, the GB 20. (Pics 2-4 below.)

Last edited by Woody Sound; 02-03-2023 at 08:21 PM.

User Info Menu

The late 70’s and 80’s their binding was celluloid. Sometime not sure when in the 90’s they went to ABS binding.

User Info Menu

I met Mr. Benson at a pre-concert event many years ago. He told me that he designed the GB10 to be modeled after the Johnny Smith, but also to diminish feedback. That may explain the small body dimensions of the GB10/12/15/100 series of guitars.

My '79 GB10 shows no sign of binding rot. The binding has yellowed nicely over the years.
    It did have one darkened and rotted area at the celluloid heel cap that required Frank Ford's expert hands.
    He fabricated a replacement cap out of a beautiful piece of maple as shown in the photo below.

User Info Menu

My 1981 GB10 shows no sign of binding rot with its 42nd birthday coming up. However, there is a chemical interaction between the binding and the poly finish on the older ones that results in local discoloration of the finish around the binding lines. On some guitars this is very pronounced; on mine, the heel cap and around one of the points on an F hole show discoloration. It seems to have been stable for a decade or so. I was also concerned about the pickguard deteriorating; occasionally there was a bit of a camphor odor in the case, so I replaced it with a wooden one made by Matt Cushman. I have wondered whether outgassing from deteriorating pickguards might affect the binding and contribute to this problem.

I have seen pictures of some where the discoloration is present along every bit of binding. Sunburst ones hide this, or perhaps it is unique to the natural finished ones like mine. I really like the look of the sunburst ones and if I was ever aiming to buy another, that's what I would look for.