The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So, after reading this forum post, I decided to inspect the new GB10 I bought last year.

Most of the quality looks great. But then I saw this crack in the bone part of the nut.

I've never dropped it, and don't think I could have caused this by carrying it wrong or anything.

So could someone help me:

Is this poor quality control? Is is something I could have done? Is it a small enough defect to just be expected from any premium guitar? Could it affect anything?

GB10 MiJ Crack in Nut-img_5905-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

No idea what caused it, but if it was mine I would replace the nut.

User Info Menu

Are you sure that it isn’t the clear coat on the nut that has not been properly removed/scraped? I had it on both sides of the nut on mine.

User Info Menu

Looks like lacquer crack only to me.
    If it where the nut the crack would begin ar the edge of it. I don't think a nut could crack at its center like that

User Info Menu

That's not the nut, it's the poly those guitars are finished. The Fujigen poly is relatively thin (and it doesn't impede vibration the way the thicker applications other factories use) so the brittleness can and does show those kinds of finish checks. Nothing to worry about. You're fine.
    The point of origin is where the brass and bone meet. Anything including regular use, vibration, differing rates of thermal expansion, anything could have started that, and the poly just breaches for a moment.
    There are very thin clear amalgamators that you can get in there but it's not like lacquer that will actually melt the check, so I'd ignore it knowing it's a unique and harmless wrinkle of age and use.

If you ever see a finish check originating from the base of the neck downward into the neck...then it's a very different story and genuine cause for concern. Yours is good.

Thanks guys!

I've found other forums and they seem to conquer that this is a lacquer crack and nothing to worry about.

Jeez, I sometimes miss the days of being a casual guitar player and never noticing anything wrong with a £100 guitar.

User Info Menu

So true! Remember my young days with a Hohner eletric super strat copy and beat the hell out of it with old strings and cheap transistor amp.. The GAS thing and gear corksniffing didn't even exist in the pre internet era.. We just played