The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi, I'm new here on this wonderful forum. I'm considering to buy the guitar in the links above, but I'm very uneducated on vintage jazz guitar. Why hasn't it sold at that price? Isn't 4500$ about right for the market price? Especially it's in a rare black color. Please educate me, thanks!

1948 Gibson L-7 with Factory Black (Ebony) Finish - OHSC

1948 Gibson L-7 with Factory Black (Ebony) Finish - OHSC | Reverb

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I am a big fan of L7s - I have several - and I have been watching the ad you cited. I have thought about getting a late 1940s L7. With this guitar, unless one is particularly enamored with black, relatively rare, L7s (and I am NOT), this instrument wouldn't interest me. When I acquire a vintage guitar, I look at the over all condition, repairs done or need to be done, playability, tone, etc. This one has had multiple repairs - cracks - that would deter me from purchasing it, unless I knew the luthier who did the repairs (and most of the time that info isn't available). Late 40s L7s generally are not that rare and I suspect there are others in better condition for the same amount of $. Unless you are really taken with ebony finishes, I would keep looking for one in better overall condition, and preferably one that you could actually play before you pay. In this case, while the asking price is about right for a vintage L7, my hunch is that the condition of the guitar is more of a factor in its not selling rather than the price. Good luck with your search and be patient. If you want an L7, you'll find one if you take your time.

User Info Menu

I think this '47 L-7 is very handsome, and appears to me to be in VGC, w/OHSC. Yes, some repaired top cracks(or seam separation?), which are stated to be glued and cleated. The original, small, worn frets would, for me, require replacing. Perhaps some reduction in the price could be negotiated, to allow for a refret.

I own a '48 National 1135, which is a Gibson made guitar, in effect an L-7, minus an adjustable truss rod. It has become my favorite archtop, with great tone, volume, and comfortable, full profile neck carve. I think early post-war L-7s are a sweet spot for the model.

The seller is a reputable, knowledgable dealer, with whom I've corresponded in the past with questions about various vintage archtops(although I have not yet bought from him). If I were in the market for an L-7, with the budget, I'd be tempted by this one.