The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 34

User Info Menu

Vintage Gibson 1977 Johnny Smith Archtop Solid Body Electric Guitar Blonde | Guitar Center

For some weird reason I keep looking at this. I talked to the store and it’s been sitting there since October. As far as condition, he said it’s good to go. No cracks, repairs, etc. Thinner neck profile, which isn’t necessarily a plus for me.

I’ve wanted one forever, probably since I saw McLaughlin play one in the 90s. I have something with almost identical specs, and it plays great, but I keep going back and forth about moving it on. My main hangup is that it’s a bit too acoustic sounding, but I’ve addressed that by fiddling with the pickup and strings.

Thoughts? Reasonable advice? Unreasonable advice? Has anyone here played it, by any chance?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The great thing about buying from GC is that you have a huge return window. Go ahead and buy it. At the very worst, you're out shipping costs.

User Info Menu

"Vintage Gibson 1977 Johnny Smith Archtop Solid Body Electric Guitar" Guitar Center has its issues, doesn't it?

Looks like a well played guitar. GC's return policy makes it a low risk purchase. Some sound more electric, some sound more acoustic. The price is more reasonable than you will usually find on Reverb. It's my dream archtop guitar.

Reasonable odds that someone here knows this instrument.

User Info Menu

It certainly is within the ballpark of money for the guitar. To me it agree JSanta you can always return it if it does not float to your liking. I would even not mind this except by the time I figure in sales taxes. The cost goes over $8000 and frankly in my case I would hold out till I can deal directly with a person and go get guitar and avoid cost I don't want to pay for. The other option is make them an offer. My guess is they have room to deal but who knows. The fact that it has no issues and is blond is clearly a huge plus and figure of the wood in the back is meaningless. This would be straight cut quarter-saw maple good hard stuff. In 1977 Johnny was still selling them at his store. Go buy it.

User Info Menu

I can’t speak to this Johnny Smith, but + 1 on GC being a low risk seller. It can be an annoying place to shop in person because the sales people are not very knowledgeable, but their prices are generally good and the return policy takes the anxiety out of used purchases.

User Info Menu

can't tell if it has a volute if thats's an issue for you

User Info Menu

I don't understand why it's advertised as a "Solid Body Electric Guitar".
    It's got two large F-holes which look pretty deep to me.
    Does it have a block, like a semi-hollow, or are they just stupid?

User Info Menu

"or are they just stupid?"

at the very least uninformed

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    "or are they just stupid?"

at the very least uninformed

They're goin' to Arizona, but Sunday was a joke!

User Info Menu

So let me ask you, if you feel the sound may be to acoustic and the neck profile probably wouldn't be desirable what is it about the Johnny Smith model that makes you want one?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    The fact that it has no issues and is blond is clearly a huge plus and figure of the wood in the back is meaningless. This would be straight cut quarter-saw maple good hard stuff.
    PS - I wonder what kind of pickup this is? Looks like a P90 in a gold floating enclosure.

Last edited by Woody Sound; 02-02-2023 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    So let me ask you, if you feel the sound may be to acoustic and the neck profile probably wouldn't be desirable what is it about the Johnny Smith model that makes you want one?
    All great stuff, thank you! I’ll carve out more time later to reply to other specifics, but this might be the definitive question.

The brutally honest answer is that I’m probably just being a fanboy. I’ve played long enough to know that the sound is usually up to me, not the gear.

I guess I romanticize the model because of where I was in life when I became aware of it, in combination with the music that was simultaneously getting burned into my mind.

User Info Menu

The blonde Johnny Smith is, to me, beautiful. I have one that seems to be a little earlier date, perhaps early to mid 70s. Made in Kalamazoo, no volute. It’s player grade, the name plate on the tailpiece is missing and there’s a surface crack near the F hole, and other dings. Seems to be all original, except a tone knob had been added. I actually like the thinner neck’s feel and prefer its more acoustic sound.

Bought it after spending a long afternoon at a shop playing it in different amps and comparing it to the Guild Johnny Smith, so I knew what I was getting. But with a liberal return policy, not much to risk, so I say go for it!

Strung it up with TI flat 13s and for a while it was my main guitar for chord melody. Not optimal, but for what it’s worth here’s a couple of clips done on a phone:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I don't understand why it's advertised as a "Solid Body Electric Guitar".
    Because the body woods are solid, not laminate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzPadd
    the name plate on the tailpiece is missing
    That's a common thing with those. It's just a plastic plate that's glued onto the badge, and they tend to fall off with age. Notice that on the WesMo they finally got smart and now engrave the name right onto the metal badge. No cheap plastic to fall off.

The blonde Johnny Smith is, to me, beautiful. I have one that seems to be a little earlier date, perhaps early to mid 70s. Made in Kalamazoo, no volute. It’s player grade, the name plate on the tailpiece is missing and there’s a surface crack near the F hole, and other dings. Seems to be all original, except a tone knob had been added. I actually like the thinner neck’s feel and prefer its more acoustic sound.

Bought it after spending a long afternoon at a shop playing it in different amps and comparing it to the Guild Johnny Smith, so I knew what I was getting. But with a liberal return policy, not much to risk, so I say go for it!

Strung it up with TI flat 13s and for a while it was my main guitar for chord melody. Not optimal, but for what it’s worth here’s a couple of clips done on a phone:

Just lovely, plus the added benefit of sharing pretty much the same right hand position. Thank you!

To everyone, thanks for all of the insight and supportive comments. The liberal return policy is definitely a factor. @wintermoon, the volute is less of a concern than the possibly thin neck, but I don't know what 70s Gibson thin means compared to present day thin.

I'm going to sleep on it and see what tomorrow brings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    That's a common thing with those. It's just a plastic plate that's glued onto the badge, and they tend to fall off with age. Notice that on the WesMo they finally got smart and now engrave the name right onto the metal badge. No cheap plastic to fall off.
    Interesting, thanks. Actually, it still has the what looks like ebony part attached to the tail piece, and I can see where the name plate was glued there. But the wood part alone is kinda nice, too. Good to see they now engrave the metal directly. I guess someone could make a plastic facsimile if I really needed that, but I’ll probably keep as is.

1977 Gibson Johnny Smith?-1c3abcfb-6544-4c4f-87a5-0b9de59806a0-jpg

User Info Menu

That JS is lovely.

At first glance, it very much resembles the wood grain of my own 1977 blonde L5CES top and back. Kind of wide on the top and no fancy maple stripes at the back. No volute on my L5 either. But hey, if a 1977 (Norlin) blonde L5 was good enough for John Mayer, it was certainly good enough for me. It still is one of to go to guitars.
    My 1977 has also a slimmer neck profile, much slimmer as my 2002 L5CT, but also surprisingly low and wide frets. A bit like fretless wonder frets of the Les Paul custom. Not sure about what is on the JS, it is hard to tell from the pics, but it might be a point of attention for you. What speaks for it IMHO are the floating BJB, the color natural, the condition. And the price (but I am from Europe). What is missing is a picture of the back of the guitar. It is a well played guitar, that is a good sign in my book. But there is a chance that the back and sides of the neck have lost finish due to honest play wear. My 1975 Les Paul Custom has that. I think that honest playwear is not a con. The description is really poor. Is there Y/N a case etc. If it was me, I would ask more info and pictures.

I think it can make a good buy !

The only thing that probably would bother me in the long term, is the tarnish of the gold plating of the tailpiece, the PU cover, and to a lesser extend, the pickguard backet. But that can be taken care of later. You have to get it first and decide later. Replating, replacing of use as is. NB I did replace the PU covers and the PG bracket of my 1977 L5. And I still have a brandnew L5CT tailpiece lying around...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hotpepper01
    That JS is lovely.

At first glance, it very much resembles the wood grain of my own 1977 blonde L5CES top and back. Kind of wide on the top and no fancy maple stripes at the back. No volute on my L5 either. But hey, if a 1977 (Norlin) blonde L5 was good enough for John Mayer, it was certainly good enough for me. It still is one of to go to guitars.
    My 1977 has also a slimmer neck profile, much slimmer as my 2002 L5CT, but also surprisingly low and wide frets. A bit like fretless wonder frets of the Les Paul custom. Not sure about what is on the JS, it is hard to tell from the pics, but it might be a point of attention for you. What speaks for it IMHO are the floating BJB, the color natural, the condition. And the price (but I am from Europe). What is missing is a picture of the back of the guitar. It is a well played guitar, that is a good sign in my book. But there is a chance that the back and sides of the neck have lost finish due to honest play wear. My 1975 Les Paul Custom has that. I think that honest playwear is not a con. The description is really poor. Is there Y/N a case etc. If it was me, I would ask more info and pictures.

I think it can make a good buy !

The only thing that probably would bother me in the long term, is the tarnish of the gold plating of the tailpiece, the PU cover, and to a lesser extend, the pickguard backet. But that can be taken care of later. You have to get it first and decide later. Replating, replacing of use as is. NB I did replace the PU covers and the PG bracket of my 1977 L5. And I still have a brandnew L5CT tailpiece lying around...
    The original Johnny Smith pickups are not the same as BJB pickups. Johnny Smith pickups attach to the neck with a U-shaped bracket and have adjustable pole pieces (although the very early ones had the holes filled with fake tortoise shell so the pole pieces were not adjustable on those ones). BJB pickups attach to the pickguard and have a smooth top without exposed pole pieces. There may be differences in the electronics specs as well, but I don’t have that information.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Interesting, thanks. Actually, it still has the what looks like ebony part attached to the tail piece, and I can see where the name plate was glued there. But the wood part alone is kinda nice, too. Good to see they now engrave the metal directly. I guess someone could make a plastic facsimile if I really needed that, but I’ll probably keep as is.

1977 Gibson Johnny Smith?-1c3abcfb-6544-4c4f-87a5-0b9de59806a0-jpg
    I'm not sure it's ebony, I think it's some kind of resin. But I agree, I think it actually looks better without the cheap plastic name plate.

User Info Menu

That JS is lovely.What speaks for it IMHO are the floating BJB, the color natural, the condition. And the price (but I am from Europe). What is missing is a picture of the back of the guitar. But there is a chance that the back and sides of the neck have lost finish due to honest play wear.If it was me, I would ask more info and pictures. And I still have a brandnew L5CT tailpiece lying around...
    They just added more pictures, including the back.

That is not a BJB pickup.

Gibson BJB Floating Neck Mount Pickup - Archtop Jazz Guitar | Reverb

User Info Menu

And I still have a brandnew L5CT tailpiece lying around...
    Whoa, take that to the bank!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by osloutah
    Just lovely, plus the added benefit of sharing pretty much the same right hand position. Thank you!
    Thank you, too, and wishing you all the best!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I'm not sure it's ebony, I think it's some kind of resin. But I agree, I think it actually looks better without the cheap plastic name plate.
    Thanks, good eye, and I’ll keep it as is.

User Info Menu

Thanks, good eye, and I’ll keep it as is.
    I had a '69, so I am familiar with that tailpiece.