The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

I have a 72 Johnny Smith. There are very few Smith models that have been produced with a volute. Odds are in your favor that there isn't. The 70s Gibsons typically have low wide frets and as you have been told on the slim side. If your playing it exclusively I would think it wouldn't be a problem, but transitioning from one to another might be a bit tougher. The neck is also 1 3/4 which may or may not be a thing for you. I wouldn't say they are super acoustic, although as you stated with the right set up they can be. The strength of this guitar is plugged in IMO. It's tuned very low and the old wood adds to that. If you have the sound ingrained from music of the time as you say, you might very well get along with it's voice. I hope that helps a bit.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    The original Johnny Smith pickups are not the same as BJB pickups. Johnny Smith pickups attach to the neck with a U-shaped bracket and have adjustable pole pieces (although the very early ones had the holes filled with fake tortoise shell so the pole pieces were not adjustable on those ones). BJB pickups attach to the pickguard and have a smooth top without exposed pole pieces. There may be differences in the electronics specs as well, but I don’t have that information.
    Keith
    Yes, the construction of a Johnnie Smith is different from a typical humbucker. The latter has two coils, just like a regular humbucker. The JS has a coil and a bar, or some such design. It is different, and sounds different. I just replaced a Lollar JS (he makes a replica) on one of my guitars with a Biltoft standard design minihum, and it is a bit different, a bit more full sounding.

Jason Lollar has a page somewhere on the net detailing the differences. I think it was in Premier Guitar, but not sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    The original Johnny Smith pickups are not the same as BJB pickups. Johnny Smith pickups attach to the neck with a U-shaped bracket and have adjustable pole pieces (although the very early ones had the holes filled with fake tortoise shell so the pole pieces were not adjustable on those ones). BJB pickups attach to the pickguard and have a smooth top without exposed pole pieces.
    There were actually 3 mounting versions of the BJB. Neck bracket mount, pickguard tab mount with adhesive, pickguard tab mount with screws. I don't know what version they're using now, but a quick look at a new Legrand should tell.

It is supposed to have a stronger punchier sound, with more mids and less sparking highs. I had a Johnny Smith with the original pickup, but I've never had the opportunity to play a BJB to compare.

User Info Menu

If a thinner neck is not a plus for you, keep moving and don't look back. You will never be happy with it and there's no reason to ever own a guitar that doesn't make you happy.
    Wanting to want something is an expensive bad experience.
    Last edited by whiskey02; 02-03-2023 at 06:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by osloutah
    We've all been there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    PS - I wonder what kind of pickup this is? Looks like a P90 in a gold floating enclosure.

Aha. With a little internet sleuthing I found out it is a Pete Biltoft Floating P-90.

User Info Menu

I bought my Super 400 from Guitar Center.

The guitar was at one of their Houston shops.

I had it shipped to the nearest GC in Tucson rather than to my house. They didn't charge for that.

If there were any problems from shipping a Guitar Center employee would be witness to it.

I was also able to play it before accepting delivery.

Just a thought if you're looking at buying from GC.

I also took advantage of their credit card and 3 years without interest.

User Info Menu

Also note that the guitar is classified as Vintage by GC.

Be sure you know what the return policy for this guitar is.

"Returns of the following products must be made within 3 days of purchase – Vintage instruments."

https://www.guitarcenter.com/pages/return-policy

Thanks again everyone! I just talked to my luthier and we’re gonna see if he can do something reversible/non-harmful to my existing axe to make it more Johnny Smith-ish.

The big pros for me with this potential purchase are highlighted by people in this thread. The liberal return policy is at the top of the list.

The biggest risk, and ultimate potential dealbreaker, is the neck. For that kind of bread, I’d really like to go in with an expectation that all of the boxes are checked. The other thing that helped me put the brakes on this purchase is the wealth of knowledge on this website regarding inconsistent build quality from Gibson.

Having said all of this, I hope someone in this community can give the guitar a new home. It’s sure to be the right instrument for someone, and there’s just a higher likelihood that that someone hangs out here.