The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I just stumbled across another great Youtube post by rpguitar showing his new Forshage Ergo Acoustic Archtop. I remember a while back finding a post somewhere with pics of the guitar in the construction process and was impressed by the idea. The finish product appears to be fantastic!

Cheers,
    Steve

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The ergo body shape doesn't do anything for me but the sound is fine. It sounds especially good with the pickup turned up and a little bit of the acoustic sound captured by the mic.

I think we'll be seeing more archtops with flat-top style bridges and saddles.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fivebells
    The ergo body shape doesn't do anything for me but the sound is fine. It sounds especially good with the pickup turned up and a little bit of the acoustic sound captured by the mic.

I think we'll be seeing more archtops with flat-top style bridges and saddles.
    It might not do anything for you asthetically, but if you sit down with one of Chris's guitars, you will definitely get it. I have a semihollow Ergo that makes 3 solo sets at a restaurant enjoyable. I have played a Tal Farlow, and my 175 in the past, and while I love those guitars, after a while it gets uncomfortable. The Ergo makes a huge difference.

The acoustic version was Roger Placer's (rpguitar) idea. Chris is game for pretty much anything. I think it turned out pretty cool, but clearly the look isn't for everyone.

User Info Menu

Looks like Salvador Dali had a hand in that guitar design...

I am a traditionalist. I couldn't go with anything too far away from the Torres standard.

Besides, the guitar is the instrument most closely patterned after the female body. It is meant to be held and caressed as such.

User Info Menu

You're a doctor, so I trust you knowledge of anatomy!

But to me, a guitar is hermaphroditic -- the body is rounded and feminine, but the neck, well, that's phallic. And look at any rock star self-indulgent soloing - they don't call it wanking for nothing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    You're a doctor, so I trust you knowledge of anatomy!

But to me, a guitar is hermaphroditic -- the body is rounded and feminine, but the neck, well, that's phallic. And look at any rock star self-indulgent soloing - they don't call it wanking for nothing
    Thanks for that visual BDLH.

I am just thankful you didn't relate the whole thing to guitar faces...opps!

User Info Menu

Here's a nicer visual:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by derek
    It might not do anything for you asthetically, but if you sit down with one of Chris's guitars, you will definitely get it. I have a semihollow Ergo that makes 3 solo sets at a restaurant enjoyable. I have played a Tal Farlow, and my 175 in the past, and while I love those guitars, after a while it gets uncomfortable. The Ergo makes a huge difference.
    I can definitely see the benefit of getting the neck up there. Roger's left arm looks relaxed, his shoulders are square and his back straight.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Here's a nicer visual:

Bloody Eric Clapton-i swear he got that idea off my second album

User Info Menu

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

So, if the buitar - I mean guitar needs to be positioned higher, why does the instrument have to be redesigned? Couldn't one just prop it up with a small cushion? (Just asking.)

cheers,
    randyc

User Info Menu

I got in late last night after giving Jim Beam a ride home. The wife said she did some ergonomic modifications to my guitar, but it doesn't seem more comfortable to me.

User Info Menu

LOL Imagine going into your luthier with that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by randyc
    LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

So, if the buitar - I mean guitar needs to be positioned higher, why does the instrument have to be redesigned? Couldn't one just prop it up with a small cushion? (Just asking.)

cheers,
    randyc
    As you know, classical players have the most optimal position, but to get there you have to use a foot stool, which is tradition. There are products out now that you can attach to the lower bout to get the same effect.

However, Steve Klein came up with the ergonomic design a couple of decades or more ago, and begin selling electric guitars with this design idea. It puts the neck in the same position with the guitar resting on the right leg, instead of between the legs. Chris Forshage got a few in for repairs/set ups, liked it, but wanted to tweak it some. Kleins haven't been made for about 5 years, so there is a small niche to be filled.

After years of playing teles, strats, and big boxes, there is just a VERY noticeable difference in playing one of these ergonomic guitars. Besides, in it's gigbag, my Ergo looks like an oversized tennis racquet, so I can carry it on just about any plane with no issues. Perfect travel guitar.

There are plenty of traditionalists who for them, it doesn't matter how comfortable it is, they can't get past the looks. I get that. Each to his own.

User Info Menu

Hmm... I went to the Forshage web site expecting to see some ergonomic guitars. I saw some lovely archtops, like this 7 string:

but no ergonomic guitars. Does he no longer make them?

User Info Menu

Bill Frisell has often played an ergo electric by Klein.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by derek
    As you know, classical players have the most optimal position, but to get there you have to use a foot stool, which is tradition. There are products out now that you can attach to the lower bout to get the same effect.

However, Steve Klein came up with the ergonomic design a couple of decades or more ago, and begin selling electric guitars with this design idea. It puts the neck in the same position with the guitar resting on the right leg, instead of between the legs. Chris Forshage got a few in for repairs/set ups, liked it, but wanted to tweak it some. Kleins haven't been made for about 5 years, so there is a small niche to be filled.

After years of playing teles, strats, and big boxes, there is just a VERY noticeable difference in playing one of these ergonomic guitars. Besides, in it's gigbag, my Ergo looks like an oversized tennis racquet, so I can carry it on just about any plane with no issues. Perfect travel guitar.

There are plenty of traditionalists who for them, it doesn't matter how comfortable it is, they can't get past the looks. I get that. Each to his own.
    I wasn't laughing at the guitar - I was laughing at Bill's caricature !

User Info Menu

Hi guys, thanks for noticing my ergo archtop, which I call "Captiva."

Anyway, Chris Forshage's website is sadly... no actually pathetically out of date. I am confident that it has not been updated in over 5 years except to reflect new contact info when his shop moved. Luckily the guitars pictured on there are quite sexy, even if nothing from the ergo line is represented.

Chris has gained some internet notoriety as a builder of ergo guitars but is indeed an archtop and hollowbody guy at heart. That's one reason I trusted my unique instrument to him. He gets the ergo thing but I was sure he had the acoustic thing down too. For what it's worth, I have owned 90 guitars (still have 30+) and my two Forshages have THE best necks imaginable. Combined with the ergo profile, I have no real excuse to own other instruments. They are way more comfortable than their traditional counterparts.

Captiva makes a big sound for a relatively small guitar. I find myself playing it acoustically 75% of the time at least. I keep going back and forth between the bone and wood saddles though. Just can't decide which I like better, and both have strengths for different kinds of music. I don't only play jazz; I play various acoustic music and sometimes use a looper to layer parts and improvise over changes. A flattop sound can sometimes work better in that context.

Anyway I am sure to post more videos eventually that are tune-related instead of demo-oriented. Thanks for checking 'em out.

Peace -
    Roger

User Info Menu

Good to see you here Roger.