The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi,

I'm going to buy a beautiful Guild Artist Award from 1978.
    Do I need a 1/4 key? Like the Music Nomad MN231?
    Many thanks for your help!

Alex

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Any standard 1/4" socket should work, as long as it isn't too thick. Some work better than others, though. A nut driver usually works, but it can sometimes be difficult to exert enough torque, depending on one's hand strength and the condition of the truss rod and nut. But yes, 1/4" is the standard, but I haven't seen that guitar. Buying a wrench isn't the most important thing to do, nor the first. Make sure what you have after you get it.

User Info Menu

Many guitars have a narrow truss rod pocket routed out. I ran into this years ago when my sockets were too thick for a few of my guitars so I bought a narrow profile long socket wrench from Stew Mac.

User Info Menu

Yes, many standard automotive sockets won't work, you certainly need a thinwall type. Truss rod wrenches, with a Philips screwdriver as the tip of the handle, are cheap on ebay and work well. The Music Nomad stuff works, but they're proud of it. There are also expensive wrenches on ebay, but also cheaper ones. It always pays to look closely at things there.

User Info Menu

I really appreciate your help, thanks again!

Alex

User Info Menu

I should chime in and say I go with nut drivers over angled wrenches for the simple reason that it's way too easy to overturn, strip or break a truss rod if you're in a situation where it's hard to turn or you're at the ends of your threads. My rule of thumb is If it's too hard to turn with a driver (socket on a handle, like a screw driver), it's too hard to force otherwise.
    Especially if you're not used to the normal amount of torque needed to easily adjust neck bow, a truss rod angle wrench can get you into trouble really fast. Don't know how many disastrous repairs I've gone through with owners saying "It just broke. How'd that happen?" I've even had owners attach extensions on their truss rod wrenches (pipes, wrenches, etc.) to get a truss rod to budge when it couldn't.

Just a cautionary note.