The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 75

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Woody, get well soon!
    Thanks String, everything went well.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 01-30-2023 at 07:20 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I've been lying on a hospital bed for the past week & a half, only moving to use the toilet a couple of times a day. My arms and legs now look like twigs. Got home and could barely climb my stairs or lift a drinking glass.
    Wow - I’m so sorry to hear that! Here’s to a quick and complete recovery from whatever put you there.

User Info Menu

most of the jazz guitarists in NYC have said that the deluxe isn't loud enough for all their gigs. It's one reason why many use a vibrolux reverb. Some like Rogers or Kreisberg, use a pair of amps. For loud bands with sax and electric piano and with guys like Jeff Tain Watts on drums. a single 22w deluxe just doesn't have enough horsepower.

Regarding the actual tone, of course the deluxe is a beautiful sounding amp and with a lush tone. Virtually no SS amp can compare. I have the henriksen and it's an amazing amp but sounds like a SS amp. The DVMark seems to be about the power of a deluxe reverb with the same limitations. Quilter is great but has that permanent bright switch thing going on. There is a hack fix for this but I have not tried it since I don't currently own one. The Quilter has a little more tube-like response than the henriksen.

For me, the Line6 Helix is the great equalizer. I can set it for a fender tube amp sound with a nice spring reverb, plug it into virtually any SS amp and get 98% of the way toward a real deluxe reverb. I paid $350 for my helix stomp so it's really hard to beat that price if you want the velvety smoothness of a tube amp but with the headroom of a henriksen/quilter...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    The Quilter has a little more tube-like response than the henriksen.
    To my ears a lot more. I use both.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    My RE10ER is 30 pounds and hasn't left the house in awhile. My RE 12ER is 35 pounds and hasn't left the house in years. Perhaps it is time to let those cabinets go to a younger fellow? My Blu 10 is about 20 pounds and I can walk quite far with that amp with no problem. Perhaps in 10 years that will bother me. I look forward to sticking around to find out!

I sold my Twin in 1975 and replaced it with a Polytone Mini-Brute after watching Joe Pass leave the Bottom Line in NYC carrying his guitar in one hand and his amp in the other (and that was an upstairs club!). But 15 years ago, I was carrying my 42 pound Deluxe Reverb to some gigs or my 35 Pound RE12ER cabinet. At 50 years old it just was not an issue. Getting old is a drag, but it beats the alternative (or so they say).

I walk about 30 miles a week and try to eat healthy food, but Father time takes no prisoners. My Blu 6 and Bud 6 showed up just in time!
    Sounds like we're in the same club String. I'm 65. Started with a Twin in HS and early college. Gradually got smaller and smaller, lighter and lighter, still tubes. A few Music Man's (Music Men?) along the way. Went SS in the mid 80's with Pearce, a very tube-like (and *very* expensive) amp. Never looked back. Several years ago I switched from the Pearce to Quilter. Recently bought a Bud 6 to compliment them.

My 2 RE 12ERs haven't left the basement studio since we moved into this place 8 years ago. Too heavy. But I keep them in the studio because they sound so damn glorious.

Fender 64 Deluxe Reverb vs Henriksen / DV Mark Jazz etc-pearce-stereo-jpg

User Info Menu

"most of the jazz guitarists in NYC have said that the deluxe isn't loud enough for all their gigs"

Some have their Deluxes modified to 6L6's for more headroom

User Info Menu

To my ears a lot more. I use both.
    Yes but the always-on bright setting cancels that out for me.

Regardless, the helix pedal into the henriksen blows away the quilter's tube emulation so it's a moot point. Of course, you can also run the helix into the quilter.

And now that quilter owns neunaber I expect quilter will solve the problem that plagues most of the class d jazz amps which is HORRIBLE REVERB!

User Info Menu

most of the jazz guitarists in NYC have said that the deluxe isn't loud enough for all their gigs. It's one reason why many use a vibrolux reverb. Some like Rogers or Kreisberg, use a pair of amps. For loud bands with sax and electric piano and with guys like Jeff Tain Watts on drums. a single 22w deluxe just doesn't have enough horsepower.

Regarding the actual tone, of course the deluxe is a beautiful sounding amp and with a lush tone. Virtually no SS amp can compare. I have the henriksen and it's an amazing amp but sounds like a SS amp. The DVMark seems to be about the power of a deluxe reverb with the same limitations. Quilter is great but has that permanent bright switch thing going on. There is a hack fix for this but I have not tried it since I don't currently own one. The Quilter has a little more tube-like response than the henriksen.

For me, the Line6 Helix is the great equalizer. I can set it for a fender tube amp sound with a nice spring reverb, plug it into virtually any SS amp and get 98% of the way toward a real deluxe reverb. I paid $350 for my helix stomp so it's really hard to beat that price if you want the velvety smoothness of a tube amp but with the headroom of a henriksen/quilter...
    That doesn't surprise me. Back in the day I was using a black face DR, and the only reason it was loud enough was because I played distorted sounding lead then. It would never be enough to stay fully clean with a drummer. But a great sound when dialed in to its sweet spot (still have it). I find I like to use an EQ pedal and bump the low mids slightly to fill in the sound for jazz. Almost a bit too loud to play at home, and a great recording amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Oh and I filmed Peter when he was performing in my hometown. He was using the vintage Silverface Deluxe Reverb of one of the local guitarists (Well, local then, he has returned to the US).

Dan Nicholas is back in US, I see. I used to know him. That’s a very good clip of what a Deluxe is capable of. Sounds nice. I never got to own a Deluxe so now it’s my time to test drive it. And I hope the cab sounds good. I think a Twin is too heavy for most settings. If the Deluxe is something like the Blues Jr is in terms of headroom, that’s totally fine. I don’t need a lot of clean headroom necessarily. I can go after C12K by Jensen instead of C12N for more clean headroom, but I think C12N is going to be enough for my needs. But I think all in all the Deluxe is just fine for most jazz settings. I just want an amp that isn’t as boxy as the Blues Jr, but I still prefer tube amps although I’ve played some nice SS amps.

User Info Menu

Regardless, the helix pedal into the henriksen blows away the quilter's tube emulation so it's a moot point. Of course, you can also run the helix into the quilter.

And now that quilter owns neunaber I expect quilter will solve the problem that plagues most of the class d jazz amps which is HORRIBLE REVERB!
    Interesting. I looked into the Helix a few months back and searched for clips with a jazz tone that I liked and couldn't find any. There were a few sorta jazz demos on Youtube, all pretty bad sounding (to me), drenched in effects and with the inevitable backing track, so it was difficult to get an idea. Did getting to a sound you liked take a long time on the Helix ? Also, the Universal Audio Dream '65 pedal got good reviews and would have less of a learning curve than the Helix - I imagine.

User Info Menu

I have been playing only SS amps for years now. I was in GC the other day and tried to lift a Deluxe. Um, portable? You must be kidding.
    Haha, you're right! Personally, portability for me has gone down to Princeton reverb and pro junior. But of course if one is younger..

I'm going to try Jacks suggestion since I recently got an hx stomp. But the simpler a rig is the better, on many gigs I prefer to compromise on the tone a bit and just carry light, set up fast, don't worry about gear, etc.

User Info Menu

I don't have the jazz chops or performing experience to comment with any authority from that angle, but I do have a vintage SF deluxe reverb and own/owned several worthy SS amps.

The DR is exceedingly versatile, and capable in most live settings. My '68 is now rehoused in a 1x15 pine cab, but using an alnico 12" speaker. It sounds different, better than the Fender DR reissues I've played, though I've not tried any of the handwired new ones. Works with every guitar I've used through it, including two vintage Guild archtops. Big, warm sound. As good as any amp I've ever heard.

Meanwhile, the lowly DV Mark Micro 50 CMT is one of my favorite SS amps. In no small part due to the interesting and useful EQ options - the second level EQ that can be blended in to the main (only) channel for boost, edge of distortion sounds. Really works. Lovely edge sounds in this amp. Why it sounds so good is partially the cab and speaker I use. An oversized open back pine cab with an Alltone 1250 ceramic speaker. I've tried this amp too with various guitars. It works with everything. Plenty of volume, not a sterile sound at all.

So many good SS amps around. I've owned both size mini brute polytones, preferred the MB II. Fine amps. Also owned two older Evans amps, both E150, 1x15 combos. My Franz p/u equipped Guild archtops sounded best through these Evans amps. Anything P90 too. Wish I had the space to keep them all. The Evans amps especially are worth seeking out IMO. Once again, big warm sound, with depth. Meaning to me a feeling of spaciousness in how the sound fills a room.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Wow - I’m so sorry to hear that! Here’s to a quick and complete recovery from whatever put you there.
    Thanks Never, everything is fine now.

User Info Menu

Ah, but some of us just like to pick up an amp and go.

User Info Menu

My primary amps are the Evans JE200 and SE300, and when I want two amps I can pair either with a Princeton Reverb.

User Info Menu

How do you set up the Henriksen Jack ? Or do you plug into the effects return ? Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m_d
    Interesting. I looked into the Helix a few months back and searched for clips with a jazz tone that I liked and couldn't find any. There were a few sorta jazz demos on Youtube, all pretty bad sounding (to me), drenched in effects and with the inevitable backing track, so it was difficult to get an idea. Did getting to a sound you liked take a long time on the Helix ? Also, the Universal Audio Dream '65 pedal got good reviews and would have less of a learning curve than the Helix - I imagine.
    This is one of the many helix jazz tones I have found. I quite like it. And it blows away the fractal for bass amp tones.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    How do you set up the Henriksen Jack ? Or do you plug into the effects return ? Thanks.
    I run it into the front of the henriksen. I don't see an advantage to using the loop on a SS amp. Loops were originally created on tube amps with gain because time based effects sound horrible if they come before the gain. On a clean amp like the henriksen, I like the modeling at the beginning of the chain. And then if I need a tad more treble or less bass, it's an easy tweak since the amp's tone controls come last.

User Info Menu

Pardon my ignorance, what Helix pedal are you referring to. There are several products named "Helix."

ps - The Quilter reverb is wonderful compared to DV Mark. That has to be the worst one on Earth

User Info Menu

Pardon my ignorance, what Helix pedal are you referring to. There are several products named "Helix."

ps - The Quilter reverb is wonderful compared to DV Mark. That has to be the worst one on Earth
    Helix stomp. ($550ish new but I got mine used for $350)

I also like to pick up the amp and go on occasion. On those occasions, the henriksen continues to blow me away. I like it's basic tone better than anything I've currently tried for jazz guitar.

Agreed with the DVMark. The henriksen reverb is in between dv mark and quilter.

User Info Menu

I run it into the front of the henriksen. I don't see an advantage to using the loop on a SS amp. Loops were originally created on tube amps with gain because time based effects sound horrible if they come before the gain. On a clean amp like the henriksen, I like the modeling at the beginning of the chain. And then if I need a tad more treble or less bass, it's an easy tweak since the amp's tone controls come last.
    I experimented with this a bit. I actually do believe Henriksens preamp colors the sound, making things more mid focused, and I much preferred "modeling" through the loop. You might want to give the fx loop another shot; make sure you stand at a distance to hear the differences more clearly. If you have trouble hearing the difference, try distortion in front and into the fx return, you'll hear the effect on higher frequencies more easily that way.

What I do is I actually use my "modeling rig" (i.e. good old fashioned low gain od and fender-character EQ) in the fx loop, post pre-amp. In order not to overdrive the pedals, I drop the preamp gain on the henriksen to its lowest setting and them make up the gain with the clean boost of the OD pedal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    I experimented with this a bit. I actually do believe Henriksens preamp colors the sound, making things more mid focused, and I much preferred "modeling" through the loop. You might want to give the fx loop another shot; make sure you stand at a distance to hear the differences more clearly. If you have trouble hearing the difference, try distortion in front and into the fx return, you'll hear the effect on higher frequencies more easily that way.

What I do is I actually use my "modeling rig" (i.e. good old fashioned low gain od and fender-character EQ) in the fx loop, post pre-amp. In order not to overdrive the pedals, I drop the preamp gain on the henriksen to its lowest setting and them make up the gain with the clean boost of the OD pedal.
    According to henriksen, the preamp should be transparent with the tone controls at zero with no coloration

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mad dog

Meanwhile, the lowly DV Mark Micro 50 CMT is one of my favorite SS amps. In no small part due to the interesting and useful EQ options - the second level EQ that can be blended in to the main (only) channel for boost, edge of distortion sounds. Really works. Lovely edge sounds in this amp. Why it sounds so good is partially the cab and speaker I use. An oversized open back pine cab with an Alltone 1250 ceramic speaker. I've tried this amp too with various guitars. It works with everything. Plenty of volume, not a sterile sound at all.
    thanks for that review Mad Dog
    sounds something like what I need
    , a small clean SS head with a bit of grease

im not worried about the reverb

ideally I’d like to play it with the tube channel on all the time ....
    but still be getting a mostly clean
    sound till I turn up the guitar volume
    or really ‘dig in’

will it do that well ?

User Info Menu

This is one of the many helix jazz tones I have found. I quite like it. And it blows away the fractal for bass amp tones.

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like the real deal!

User Info Menu

I love apples.

But I really enjoy certain apples over others.

A Macoun, in season is just the best thing ever.

But I still love enjoy a waxy Braeburn from the grocery store, delicious.

There are lots of great apples out there that all taste good.