The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

I have some partscasters with tk smith pickups. Some of you might recognize one of them, which used to have a snakehead neck. I got some new necks from Musikraft, which are wonderful. AAA Birsdseye maple, chunky C neck. Couldn't be more perfect except that Musikraft doesn't offer to finish necks anymore. I had a local shop (SF guitarworks) spray them. I sent them a photo of my nacho and as a model for the tint. SF guitarworks works with a 3rd party to spray necks. The necks I got back look like simpsons characters. I don't think I could imagine a worse tint job. Even Squier seems do have much more natural looking amber tints. So basically my options are:

1) Work with SF guitarworks to get them resprayed. They said they could send them to MJT.
    2) Take a cash refund and find my own place to get them resprayed. TK smith offered to do it, but he's way backed up, so I might not see them for a while.
    3) Leave them in the sun and hope that natural aging of the nitro will balance out the weird simpsons yellow look they have going on. I don't know if this is realistic.

In other news, they play and sound fantastic. It's my first time using TK Smith's CARs in a tele. Wonderful sound.

NND - New Neck Day (and not a great one)-img_6190-jpgNND - New Neck Day (and not a great one)-img_6192-jpgNND - New Neck Day (and not a great one)-img_6193-jpg
    Last edited by omphalopsychos; 01-28-2023 at 07:47 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Take them to Addam Stark (here in Santa Cruz) He will fix you up (he is known as one of the best guitar finishers in the business)

His number is (831) 429-8113.

Here is a testimonial from a guitar builder:

Lacquer Master - Addam Stark | Scott Walker Guitars

User Info Menu

Option number 3, leave them in the sun, or better yet, actually play them.

I'm not trying to be a contrarian or sound like I'm stumping for SF guitarworks, never heard of them, but those necks looks pretty sweet to me to be honest.

In other news if they play and sound fantastic I wouldn't mess with anything just name the one "Lisa" since you think it looks like a Simpson. Nice guitars IMO.

User Info Menu

Those are... intense. Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    Option number 3, leave them in the sun, or better yet, actually play them.

I'm not trying to be a contrarian or sound like I'm stumping for SF guitarworks, never heard of them, but those necks looks pretty sweet to me to be honest.

In other news if they play and sound fantastic I wouldn't mess with anything just name the one "Lisa" since you think it looks like a Simpson. Nice guitars IMO.
    You sound easy to rip off bro.

And you name your guitars? Lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    You sound easy to rip off bro.

And you name your guitars? Lol
    Maybe I am easy to rip off but I'm not the one feeling ripped off right now. I was only suggesting that you let them age in the sun, which was an option you were presenting, not me. I am satisfied with the appearance because I don't really give a shit what it looks like, only that they sound and play good, which you affirmed was the case in your post. I play guitars not stare at them and my opinion was based on that. I thought, and still think, they look just fine but my mentality is geared towards being content and having tools that function good, not looks. Pretty obvious that you aren't happy with the situation. Good luck getting things straightened out to your satisfaction.

And yes, I name my guitars. Usually after lady saints or a special someone who may have helped me along my musical journey, so it's done in their honor. Be well.

User Info Menu

...I sent them a photo of my nacho and as a model for the tint. Anyway, it was a huge mistake to send them to this shop...
    NND - New Neck Day (and not a great one)-img_6190-jpg
    It's almost as if they thought you wanted a match to the body. It's closer to that on my screen anyway. Still pretty far off though. That's a drag.

I've run a cabinet and furniture shop for 25 years. If someone wants us to match to an image in an email I just say no, unless they're willing to pay to make a real life sample for approval. The vagaries of different screens and viewing conditions just can't be trusted. Seeing the actual thing is really the only way to do a critical match. That's how we do anyway.

Maybe I am easy to rip off but I'm not the one feeling ripped off right now. I was only suggesting that you let them age in the sun, which was an option you were presenting, not me. I am satisfied with the appearance because I don't really give a shit what it looks like, only that they sound and play good, which you affirmed was the case in your post. I play guitars not stare at them and my opinion was based on that. I thought, and still think, they look just fine but my mentality is geared towards being content and having tools that function good, not looks. Pretty obvious that you aren't happy with the situation. Good luck getting things straightened out to your satisfaction.

And yes, I name my guitars. Usually after lady saints or a special someone who may have helped me along my musical journey, so it's done in their honor. Be well.

I am disappointed by the outcome of a custom project that took several months, one that I was very excited for, and one that I paid a lot of money for. How am I in the wrong to express dissatisfaction? I don't even know if we've ever interacted before on this forum, but where do you get the idea that I don't play? Do you have any concept of how many hours of each day I spend practicing and playing with others? Do you lack the self awareness to realize that you showed up here just to insult me for having any concern about the aesthetics of my instruments? First you insinuate that I only care about looking at these instruments and that I don't play them. Then you conclude your disparaging remarks with a sanctimonious "be well". Thanks dude. What would your "lady saint" (wtf does this even mean) guitars think of your comments?

In other news, Geoff, the owner of sf guitarworks contacted me again with an offer to make it right. He's taking on the cost to have these refinished at MJT and is taking personal responsibility to get the tint right on these guitars. I'll remark again that the setup and playability on these guitars is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    I've run a cabinet and furniture shop for 25 years. If someone wants us to match to an image in an email I just say no, unless they're willing to pay to make a real life sample for approval. The vagaries of different screens and viewing conditions just can't be trusted. Seeing the actual thing is really the only way to do a critical match. That's how we do anyway.
    That's 100% valid. Photos don't always reflect reality.* I did give them significantly more detail than just the photo. A guitar shop with this kind of reputation and experience repairing vintage guitars should, however, have the knowledge and judgment to discriminate between the look of naturally darkened nitrocellulose on maple and those gruesomely bright orange finishes that appeared on some fenders and squiers.

* Actually the photos in this thread are a good example of this. Even though the necks look pretty bad in these photos, they look even more saturated and orange in real life.

User Info Menu

I am disappointed by the outcome of a custom project that took several months, one that I was very excited for, and one that I paid a lot of money for. How am I in the wrong to express dissatisfaction? I don't even know if we've ever interacted before on this forum, but where do you get the idea that I don't play? Do you have any concept of how many hours of each day I spend practicing and playing with others? Do you lack the self awareness to realize that you showed up here just to insult me for having any concern about the aesthetics of my instruments? First you insinuate that I only care about looking at these instruments and that I don't play them. Then you conclude your disparaging remarks with a sanctimonious "be well". Thanks dude. What would your "lady saint" (wtf does this even mean) guitars think of your comments?

In other news, Geoff, the owner of sf guitarworks contacted me again with an offer to make it right. He's taking on the cost to have these refinished at MJT and is taking personal responsibility to get the tint right on these guitars. I'll remark again that the setup and playability on these guitars is awesome.
    All I suggested was the option 3 you presented as a possibility; to let them age in the sun. In your irritation with that you said "you must be easy to rip off bro" and then kind of belittled the fact that I name my guitars. I never suggested you didn't have a right to express dissatisfaction nor did I imply you aren't a player. I was presenting my feelings (not yours) that a) the guitars look good b) they play good. Therefore, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Clearly you do, lol. You're getting all bent cause your feelers are all tied up in some aesthetics. Which is why I don't get my heart deep into aesthetics. Enjoy the ride.

I never suggested you didn't have a right to express dissatisfaction nor did I imply you aren't a player.
    Sorry I must have completely misunderstood your intention behind these comments.

... or better yet, actually play them.
    I play guitars not stare at them...

User Info Menu

Wow, and I'm not talking about the necks.

User Info Menu

The necks I got back look like simpsons characters. I don't think I could imagine a worse tint job.
    I’ve had a few projects go south, so I understand exactly how you feel and I’m truly sorry it happened to you. It may not be a global crisis, but after a lot of planning, waiting and anticipating, it’s a huge letdown. Fortunately, it sounds like the fix is in. Like everybody else here, I look forward to seeing your vision fulfilled.

But on the bright side, you only got Lisa. You could have gotten Marge

User Info Menu

Just to be clear, the more pale one in the middle is your original, and the two yellowish ones are what they did?

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Just to be clear, the more pale one in the middle is your original, and the two yellowish ones are what they did?
    Correct.

User Info Menu

If they're offering to re-do, do what you need to be happy no matter what anyone says. An aside, I had an instrument made for me, I wanted an amber yellow. It came to me pretty bright yellow. Yikes. But I thought "I'll play it and not look down." and for me, I'm glad I did. There's no real way to anticipate how finish will age, and how UV will age the maple/spruce beneath (and apart from UV blocking thick as sunglasses poly, wood always darkens, the exception being walnut, which tends to lighten). Now it's mellowed-the yellow faded, the wood got less white, the play of light changed and it's changed to pretty close to the aged amber look I wanted from the get go.

I think you should take them up on the offer, have a go at being happy, and if you're happy, play like you're in love and don't look back. At that point, you can learn what it is to love that guitar that's in your hands.

Good luck.

User Info Menu

...I did give them significantly more detail than just the photo....
    The problem I've had with finishers is getting that other info properly understood. When we have the thing in hand I just give to the guy and say "Here. Match this." Looks to me like the guy on the gun didn't get the memo.

Anyways... I'm happy to hear there will be resolution. They'll get it right this time. We have a little joke for these things:
    "We make it nice, 'cause we make it twice!"

User Info Menu

"If you make it too dark, you can always strip it back and do it again. But if you make it too light, THEN what're you going to do?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    "If you make it too dark, you can always strip it back and do it again. But if you make it too light, THEN what're you going to do?"
    Actually I gave them instruction to be conservative on the redo, if they err on the tint it’s preferable (to me) to be too light. My guest room is in the SW corner and gets direct light year round. An untinted neck darkens very quickly there.

This one was pale natural maple when I got it. After a few months on sun tanning it looked like this.NND - New Neck Day (and not a great one)-8f841e56-7617-4376-9dc7-71af4534dd5b-jpeg