The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

I am happily getting to know my new (used) Eastman jazz elite 16, which has a top-mounted pickup. I am getting quite a buzz/ rattle that I believe is caused by the pickup mounting ring vibrating against the pickup can. I have the pick guard off so that isn't the issue. I have experienced this particular buzz on other guitars, so am pretty sure it is a common problem when playing unplugged.

I have seen guitars with a little wad of paper or something wedged into the gap between the mounting ring and the pickup, but would like to find a better solution.

Has anyone tried removing the mounting ring and enlarging the hole just a little so there is a bigger gap between the can and the ring? Sandpaper or a file? Other solutions?
    Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't think widening the hole of the pickup ring would help. The buzz is not caused by pickup hitting the plastic ring but it's caused by the spring mechanism IMO. Some people replace the metal springs with surgical tubes to eliminate the buzz. I prefer just cutting a piece of an unused pick and insert it between the pickup and the ring.

User Info Menu

Check the knobs too. My Broadway buzzed at the knobs. It doesn’t bother me so I just let it buzz.

User Info Menu

Thanks, that's a good thought. But if the buzz is not caused by the pickup and mounting ring, why would you insert a piece of pick in the gap between the two?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzDaddyD
    Thanks, that's a good thought. But if the buzz is not caused by the pickup and mounting ring, why would you insert a piece of pick in the gap between the two?
    I think pickups wobble in the space around the ring causing the springs to buzz. So stabilizing the pickups stops the buzzing (or replacing the springs with plastic tubes).

User Info Menu

The pickup wobbles and buzzes. There are various fixes. One is to replace the springs with latex or silicone tubing. I prefer to get tubing of the proper size, so that the springs just fit through it, and use both springs and tubing. You can also try raising and/or lowering the pickup, to put more or less pressure on the springs. That sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. You can also insert a pick or whatever is handy between the ring and the pickup. Sax or clarinet reeds work well for this. It prevents the pickup from moving. There are some threads on the forum which discuss rattle/buzz on archtops, causes and fixes.

User Info Menu

In my case, the PUP covers don't have enough clearance with the plastic rings that surround them, and I am one of those who wedges little pieces of paper between the pickup can and the ring :-/ because the stray buzzing bugs me when playing acoustically. I don't hear it at all through the amp. In my case, I replaced stock PUP covers with ones that are not tarnished (storing the originals for the future), and the new ones seem to be infinitesimally bigger than the originals. It is a bit lame but don't want to do any permanent damage to the top or the rings over this. One of these days, I'll find some covers that fit a bit better, or get some aftermarket rings that I don't mind enlarging a bit.

Lowering the pickup will change the amplified sound, but whether that's good or bad is your call; i.e. you might like the new sound, or not.

Another solution is to remove the cans and just use the pickups bare - this also changes the amplified sound (some say it gives you a tiny bit more gain - it is a common trick amongst rockers) ; again, whether that different sound is good or bad is subjective.

You could also wax-pot the pickups inside the cans; typically, this is a cure for microphonic pickups, rather than mechanical vibration. If the issue is fit of the cans into the rings, it may not be a complete solution. The cans may still vibrate against the rings a bit, but it would reduce the noise considerably. However wax-potting means the pickup will no longer be considered stock; it could devalue a vintage axe by a significant amount, depending on the rarity of the PUPs. I'd probably replace the PUPs with something functional and keep the original ones stock, storing them safely for the sake of resale value.

HTH

SJ

User Info Menu

Ive had Fender heavy picks in my L5 pickup cover since 1989. Works just fine. Not fancy, and having been cut flat on the top side you nearly can’t see them.

User Info Menu

The only thing(s) that work to eliminate the buzz completely are;
    -Get rid of the pickup springs and replace them with surgical tubing
    -Mark the current position of the pickup height. Then remove the pickup from the ring assembly and wrap black electrical tape around the cover, just up to where it’s buried underneath the ring. Reassemble.
    -Take small (3/32) pieces of small black closed cell foam rubber and fill in the cavities of the tunomatic bridge with them. Or better yet, have a luthier cut you some nice perfectly radiused ebony bridge tops.
    You will have an absolutely dead quiet archtop. I hate buzzes too. To me, they are very distracting.
    You might need to do ALL of this, depending on how vibrant your guitar is.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Thank you all! I replaced the height adjustment springs with rubber tubing (my tech had some, fortunately) and wrapped the pickup with electrical tape to fill the gap between it and the mounting ring, and voila, she is buzzing no more, not even a teeny bit. Excellent! Thanks!