The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

I've got a recent production Gibson LG2 50's acoustic guitar. Boy Gibson has a winner with this one!
    I really love it, very lively and single notes really sing. It kind of reminds of a 1958 ES125 I used to own (hate myself selling it a few years ago ..), the fat neck, small frets, the feel.
    I took out the LR BAGGS system, a piezo under saddle. I really don't like the sound of it, and the metal thing under the saddle muffled the acoustic properties. I really felt a difference after removing it.

I've tested a bunch of strings type and gauges, and finally settled with 11-52 bronze strings. I feel this gauge is the best to express solo playing and jazz voicings, octave lines in Wes style.. I'll maybe try monels since the magnetic pickup will work better (if I'm right?)
    I haven't lost acoustic power at all from the 12-54 gauge it came with. It seems the contrary, and the guitar has now a wonderful jangly open sound.

Well, I like this guitar so much I would like to install a soundhole magnetic pickup that has the most "electric" sound possible.
    I plan to plug it in (I still have the jack plug mounted in the rear strap pin) my Gibson GA8t tube amp and do old jazzy stuff, slide, and raunchy blues.

Would you have any advice for this?
    The one that I have found to maybe do this is the Guild DeArmond Tone Boss reissue pickup?
    I've also heard of Bill Lawrence? These are a bit big and might restrain the acoustic power coming from the soundhole?

Here is the guitar. Thanks in advance.

Magnetic pickup for Gibson LG2-img_20230127_103209-jpg
    Last edited by Jx30510; 01-28-2023 at 11:05 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great guitar! My first “good” guitar was a new LG-1 that I got in 1957 for my 11th birthday. I’ve had many great acoustics since, but none was a better balance of tone, feel, and cool than the little LG. My dealer set it up with low action for me, and it was the instrument on which I got my jazz start. I added the basic DeArmond sound hole pickup to it 2 years later and used it on my first gigs with a 5 watt Kay amp. That pickup did it all with a tweak of the amp’s tone knob.

The DeArmond Tone Boss is today’s version. It’s a humbucker with proper polepieces, and it’s a great choice. It’s even cheap ($89 list). That’s what I’d use today.

Enjoy that LG - it’s a classic!

User Info Menu

My wife has one of those.

I wonder if my micro Manouche pickup would fit? Hmmmm

User Info Menu

Thanks! Yes it's a fabulous guitar. I set it up with low action and it plays as good, if not better, than my other semi hollow guitars. I enjoy the small size and playability, and it sounds huge! And slide is a dream on it. By far one of the best guitars I've owned.
    The Dearmond seems to be a good candidate. What I've heard on line demos is pretty cool..
    A manouche style pickup is quite big and invasive if I'm not mistaken?
    I'll check them.. They're called "pêche à la mouche" I think?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    A manouche style pickup is quite big and invasive if I'm not mistaken?
    They’re big, and they start at about $350. There’s also a DeArmond 1000 with a sound hole clip that may work, but it sits closer to the strings as I recall, and it’s a single coil. Check the Djangobooks website to see what Michael carries, and give him a call to discuss your needs. He’s been very helpful to me and seems like a truly good guy, based on my interactions and purchases.

But for my money, that $85 DeArmond makes the most sense. It’s a humbucker and it’ll let you get both woodier acoustic sound with treble up / bass down and a fatter jazzier tone with treble down / low mids & bass up. If you’re more interested in the latter, string it with lighter flats like TI JS112s.

You’re going to have to deal with feedback if you play at even moderate volume levels. I learned to stand facing away from the amp, and I often had to mute mine with both left fingers and right palm. But at lower volumes these guitars sound beautiful amplified. And I used to plug it into the PA systems in our school auditorium and gym for a fabulous sound. Fortunately, these small body flattops aren’t as bad as the dreads and other big ones for feedback issues.

User Info Menu

All of the makers of soundhole pickups CLAIM that theirs’ preserve the acoustic sound. But that’s pretty much BS based on my experience using a few different ones. Through an electric guitar amp they all sound like electric guitars once you dial down the treble (especially humbucking ones). So the easiest thing is to pick one based on price and features and plug in.

FWIW, I have Fishman Neo-d soundhole humbucker that’s fairly compact and doesn’t interfere with the acoustic sound. I was thinking of selling mine. PM if interested.

All that said the MOST electric sound would come from using an electric pickup (my vote would be for a P90) and some sort of mounting adaptor, such as this:
    Pickup cradle

(I found it by googling “acoustic guitar P90; there are others).

User Info Menu

Thanks very much for all your advice.
    That pickup cradle is a very interesting concept.. I have a spare SD Seth Lover. Problem is, I live in France, and it might be a bit complicated to order one.
    I'm going to try the Dearmond I think. I'll take a look at the Dearmond 1000.

User Info Menu

A great acoustic guitar should be used and enjoyed as a great acoustic guitar. Yeah, I'm a little traditional in my thoughts and actions.

User Info Menu

No worries!
    I was a bit reluctant myself at first..
    That's why I systematically remove electronics in my acoustic guitars.
    Gibson puts LR BAGGS piezo systems in almost all of their production acoustics.
    If I would have had the choice I would have bought it without electronics.
    When I purchase an acoustic guitar, having electronics is normally a deal-breaker for me. Not for this one, and l'm happy I went over my preconceptions..
    Remember I removed the LR BAGGS the day I received it (an honestly, that undersaddle soft metal thing has an influence on the sound.. On the LG2 it was obvious)
    I'm a bit obsessed with an all natural only wood acoustic instrument.
    That makes my brother laugh each time I come with a new acoustic, he just doesn't understands the concept

But after playing it this one extensively, I see a high potential in using it not only an acoustic way.
    But not like an amplified acoustic, more like an electric.
    This one really sings when playing jazz or blues runs, it's just stellar, and something tells me that with a tube amplified electric sound, this is gonna be really good.
    Like I said the LG2 just feels, and kinda reacts like a small acoustic version of a 58 Es125 I used to own..

I'll still play it just acoustic, for sure

User Info Menu

What about the Gretsch Deltoluxe pickup? Certainly looks the part for playing blues, and it's supposed to be similar to the DeArmond 1000 under the hood.

BTW, I have the DeArmond Tone Boss in an old Harmony flattop, and while it is a magnetic pickup, it's one that's supposed to amplify the acoustic tone of the guitar, not sound like an electric.
    To my ears it only succeeds partly - it's kinda halfway between an LR Baggs M1 (which sounds very "acoustic" for a magnetic pickup) and a Bill Lawrence soundhole pickup (which sounds like a floating humbucker on an archtop).

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tips. Very informative.
    Since I'm searching the electric sound, you have given me good hints for my search.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Great guitar! My first “good” guitar was a new LG-1 that I got in 1957 for my 11th birthday. I’ve had many great acoustics since, but none was a better balance of tone, feel, and cool than the little LG. My dealer set it up with low action for me, and it was the instrument on which I got my jazz start. I added the basic DeArmond sound hole pickup to it 2 years later and used it on my first gigs with a 5 watt Kay amp. That pickup did it all with a tweak of the amp’s tone knob.

The DeArmond Tone Boss is today’s version. It’s a humbucker with proper polepieces, and it’s a great choice. It’s even cheap ($89 list). That’s what I’d use today.

Enjoy that LG - it’s a classic!
    I had a '63 LG-1 that was an incredible guitar. Rung like a bell and had great bite for playing blues on. The only guitar I ever regret letting go of and the best acoustic for what I like, blues, that I have ever come across. "Never should have sold it".

I just ordered a Gretsch Deltoluxe for my wife's D-18 as she didn't want to punch any holes in it and it comes with a piece that holds the cord onto the strap button so we'll see how it works out. Demos seem promising. She has or has had just about every acoustic pickup available in the past twenty years so I have plenty to compare it too, lol. She just didn't want to drill this one.

User Info Menu

I installed a Gretsch Deltoluxe in my Simon&Patrick. It’s got that 50s, Lightening Hopkins, P90 thing going. I did need an EQ to bring out the best of it, but it’s a great pickup for that raw, lofi sound.

Magnetic pickup for Gibson LG2-827ab595-6ab5-4e9e-a6cd-44c268271afc-jpg

User Info Menu

Great thread! I recently bought a Sigma JM-SG45 (Gibson J-45 copy) and didn't like the Fishman Sonitone preamp and piezo at all. I bought a cheap $30 Skysonic passive magnetic soundhole pickup to see if I like that type of sound better and yes I do! Already much much better than the piezo. So now I am on the lookout for a better magnetic soundhole PU, this thread is helpful, thanks!

One thing I already found out is that it's good to have a pickup with adjustable pole pieces.

I am now also convinced I should take out the piezo from under the bridge saddle, I left it for now. Did you need to shim the saddle? Did snare height not become too low after that?

Funny enough I have an ES-125 as well... I would love to find an acoustic that has the same neck with the same feel to it. The Sigma steers in that direction but the ES-125 feels much better (Sigma got a little better after I rounded off the fretboard edges). So maybe an LG2 or a real J-45 is what I need in the future ;-)

User Info Menu

Yes the Gibson 50's line, J45 and LG2 are the two I think, really seem to want to re-create the DNA and neck profile of that era.
    When I first tried the LG2 it immediately reminded me of my 58 ES125! The neck carve, no binding, the oldschool frets, and quality woods.
    I had to add a shim under the saddle, yes. I carefully cut an old credit card to fit perfectly the saddle. And the action is perfect, as the sound. Maybe I'll have a luthier re-do a bone saddle, but the guitar sounds great, so really no urge to do this. Maybe I'll never do it.
    It's pretty hard to decide myself for the pickup. The Grestch and Guild seem cool, but I maybe want to go a bit higher in quality.
    I'd like it to have at least a volume control.. A tone would be awesome.
    And I'm wondering if active would not be better?

I've just discovered a brand which gets praises, Mojotone. They have selection of single coil pickups, active or passive. They seem to be high quality. But I think it is very good for the acoustic sound.. Maybe I should better think of the amp than the pickup to sculpt my sound? It's a very adequate amp for that (Gibson GA-8T), which has the swampiest tremolo I ever heard. A good reverb on top and it should be great.

Mojotone Quiet Coil NC Passive – Thomann France
    Last edited by Jx30510; 01-30-2023 at 12:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Well, maybe not really in the direction I want to go. This a quote from the Mojotone site :

"The Mojotone Quiet Coil NC-1 active acoustic soundhole pickup reacts beautifully with the natural frequencies of your acoustic guitar while also eliminating the unnatural “electric guitar” tone associated with other magnetic soundhole pickups. Our noise-free pre-amp design voices the pickup to closely mimic the sound and frequencies of a condenser mic, giving you the purest and most uncompromised magnetic soundhole pickup tone ever heard".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by darkwaters
    I installed a Gretsch Deltoluxe in my Simon&Patrick. It’s got that 50s, Lightening Hopkins, P90 thing going. I did need an EQ to bring out the best of it, but it’s a great pickup for that raw, lofi sound.

Magnetic pickup for Gibson LG2-827ab595-6ab5-4e9e-a6cd-44c268271afc-jpg
    I bought that pickup for my wife for valentines. I should probably get something a little more romantic to go with it, like a box of .38 specials.

I got it and installed it last night. Dug the easy install. The pickup has a lot of bass response and seems to be pretty hot for a drop-in acoustic pickup. I had to dial the amp's bass EQ way back. I suggested she use her Fishman EQ pedal in conjunction with it to get max control. Also, no volume control on the pickup so it might pay to put a vol pedal in the chain.

It's not quite as acoustic sounding as her Fishman pickups or her L.R Baggs Lyric, which was expected, but it is actually quite clear and punchy and seems to mostly keep the basic tone of the guitar intact vs a lot of other acoustic pickups she has already had. So I am fairly impressed with it. We'll see how she likes gigging it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    Yes the Gibson 50's line, J45 and LG2 are the two I think, really seem to want to re-create the DNA and neck profile of that era.
    When I first tried the LG2 it immediately reminded me of my 58 ES125! The neck carve, no binding, the oldschool frets, and quality woods.
    I had to add a shim under the saddle, yes. I carefully cut an old credit card to fit perfectly the saddle. And the action is perfect, as the sound. Maybe I'll have a luthier re-do a bone saddle, but the guitar sounds great, so really no urge to do this. Maybe I'll never do it.
    It's pretty hard to decide myself for the pickup. The Grestch and Guild seem cool, but I maybe want to go a bit higher in quality.
    I'd like it to have at least a volume control.. A tone would be awesome.
    And I'm wondering if active would not be better?

I've just discovered a brand which gets praises, Mojotone. They have selection of single coil pickups, active or passive. They seem to be high quality. But I think it is very good for the acoustic sound.. Maybe I should better think of the amp than the pickup to sculpt my sound? It's a very adequate amp for that (Gibson GA-8T), which has the swampiest tremolo I ever heard. A good reverb on top and it should be great.

Mojotone Quiet Coil NC Passive – Thomann France
    Last night I finally got to removing the under saddle piezo. I put only 1 little thin cedar wooden shim back (I have a stash of cedar wood veneers that they pack with cigars, that a cigar smoking friend of mine gave to me ;-) ). The action got quite a bit lower but still no fret buzz and the guitar is now much easier to play! While at it I also rounded off (rolled) the fretboard edges and it feels like a new guitar now! I do feel that the guitar also sounds better acoustically now, but that could be just in my mind.

I experimented a little with some more wooden shims to raise the pickup on the bass side, because the basses were a little undercooled compared to the treble (why I would like a pickup with adjustable pole pieces). But I am quite pleased with the results now! I do perform with a singer as a duo and I thinh this Sigma will do a great job in that setting (although I might still prefer the ES-125 for that, that guitar is just amazing at whatever style you play on it....)

User Info Menu

It's not just the pickup. You'll need a good preamp and EQ. Odd how often acoustic amps not only lack good EQ but the ranges on the controls they do have are in the wrong frequency bands.

IMHO the best sounding magnetic is still the Sunrise though I don't know if they are even still available. Clunky. Heavy. But sounds good. However, you have to use a high quality preamp with it. You can use the preamp they sell (SB1?) but changing the batteries is a pain.

Piezo's sound awful without a lot of EQ. Even with it sometimes. However, audio processing gear like an AudioSprockets ToneDexter can make them sound really good.

Under bridge pickups (i.e. K&K) are probably still the best overall but still need good EQ and proper installation. ToneDexter works well with these as well.

There's also the LR Baggs Anthem setup. No experience with it but have had friends who really liked them.

Of course, this is all quality acoustic stuff. If you want it to sound 'electric' and canned, one of the cheap D'Armond's would work.

User Info Menu

Just wanted to add to this thread that I put the DeArmond ToneBoss in my Sigma J45 copy and I absolutely love it! The adjustable polepieces allow for dialing in a good balance between the strings and it sounds strong, clear and rather natural. For the price it’s a steal!
    Last edited by Little Jay; 03-06-2023 at 03:52 PM.