The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Looking to fulfill my hollow body GAS with one of these - just waiting on my esp les paul navigator to sell.
    I'd actually be using it more in a rock rather than jazz context - how would it fare at that? Also what's the neck like - ideally I'd like something beefy, but not too much so (I like the ergonomics of your average les paul)
    Last edited by Frank1985; 01-27-2023 at 11:57 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The FG100 is a great guitar. Would likely do well in a rock setting due to its strong build.
    Neck is not modern Ibanez thin (90's thin). I find mine to be generous for a Japanese build.
    I just bought one and find it very enjoyable. More comfortable than a 175 and slightly less prone to feedback.
    Great build quality and typically of Ibanez, plays itself.

I just read that the necks of latter models are thinner....any idea what year this change took effect?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Frank1985
    I just read that the necks of latter models are thinner....any idea what year this change took effect?
    The model first went into production in 1981.
    (Ignore ibanezwiki who say 1982).

The 83 model is still an early production model and I would therefor assume, the neck to be inline with Ibanez's chunkier, later 70’s early 80’s style.

Ah ok. So the idea was to sell an esp navigator 380 to fund this but I came to my senses and decided to keep that. However I'm still very tempted to pull the trigger on the ibanez anyway...
    Last edited by Frank1985; 01-29-2023 at 12:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Ah ok. So the idea was to sell an esp navigator 380 to fund this but I came to my senses and decided to keep that. However I'm still very tempted to pull the trigger on the ibanez anyway...
    Each guitar is on its own merits but a good Navigator, is worth holding onto.

User Info Menu

i've owned a couple. IMO, the quality isn't as good as the current japanese-made ibanez guitars. It seemed to be a step below the GB series. It was a decent guitar but not on the level of a gibson 175 IMO...

What is the modern equivalent?

User Info Menu

AF155 but I think the FG100 was a better made instrument and had better pickups and hardware.

User Info Menu

Ibanez AF2000

AF2000 | AF | HOLLOW BODIES | PRODUCTS | Ibanez guitars

Also, the GB200 (1999 - 2013) is the top of the line version.
    It has a great feeling slightly thick neck, Super 58 pickups and top shelf parts and assembly.

GB200 | Ibanez Wiki | Fandom

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Ibanez AF2000

AF2000 | AF | HOLLOW BODIES | PRODUCTS | Ibanez guitars

Also, the GB200 (1999 - 2013) is the top of the line version.
    It has a great feeling slightly thick neck, Super 58 pickups and top shelf parts and assembly.

GB200 | Ibanez Wiki | Fandom
    AF2000 looks very very nice indeed ....
    I know Rob likes his
    Anyone else played one and has positive or negative thoughts ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    i've owned a couple. IMO, the quality isn't as good as the current japanese-made ibanez guitars. It seemed to be a step below the GB series. It was a decent guitar but not on the level of a gibson 175 IMO...
    I wouldn't compare a 175 to an FG100 other than they are both 16" and have rosewood fingerboards.

Ibanez stepped away from the over sized Gibson build and towards the D'Aquisto style, with their release of the FG and JP series in 1981.
    Both of these models were based off of Joe pass's D'aquisto, which Joe himself exchanged his ES175 for; for what that is worth.
    The FG sacrifices acoustic tone but in return you get a more comfortable and often better playing instrument.

The FG100 is not really comparable to an AF200 or AF2000 because the FG100 is relatively heavy, which can translate into a little more sustain (each guitar on its own merits of course). It stands out as quite a different 16" archtop because of this but one that is a lot of fun and as you can tell amplified, sounds very good (George Benson).

It also has Mojo which counts for a lot, being as it's now a 40 year old guitar. For that alone I would chose one over a newer model like an AF200 0r 2000.

Seventy seven offer a model on par with modern Ibanez stuff but with slightly less refinement in finish and luxury.

(imo).
    Last edited by Archie; 02-02-2023 at 07:07 PM.