The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I’m relatively new to playing guitar. I’m lucky enough to have an older Polytone teeny brute. It sounds great, but I would like the opportunity to add some reverb. So I am looking for pedal recommendations. I would like something that sounds natural and not too processed. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. If it makes a difference, I am playing a PRS Hollowbody SE 2 with humbuckers through it

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If you're just starting, something like a TC Electronics HOF (there's a mini version) or an EHX Holy Grail will serve you right. TC also has some new very cheap reverb pedals, but never tried those.

Also, Digitech stopped making pedals but I always found both the RV7 and the Polara to be the best cheap reverbs available - maybe you can still find them used?

Anyway, these days almost all reverbs, even the cheap ones, are good enough for a moderate use.

User Info Menu

Do you have price limit?

User Info Menu

Welcome to the Forum, SoCal!
    [Seal Beach native here! Whereabouts in SoCal are you?]

Woody is right -- price is always a factor with gear!

A few ideas:

Simplest ever: Boing or Hagerman.

Also nice: Topanga.

There are about 100 other options, and can range from $50 - $500!

Let us know what you grab!

Marc

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Do you have price limit?
    Thanks. I'd like to keep the reverb pedal to $150 or less.

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Welcome to the Forum, SoCal!
    [Seal Beach native here! Whereabouts in SoCal are you?]

Woody is right -- price is always a factor with gear!

A few ideas:

Simplest ever: Boing or Hagerman.

Also nice: Topanga.

There are about 100 other options, and can range from $50 - $500!

Let us know what you grab!

Marc
    Thanks so much for this. Great info. The Boing and Hagerman are both in my range. Do you have a preference between the two? I'm thinking I'll just get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Thanks. What a nice forum. I've already received 4 polite and informative responses.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    If you're just starting, something like a TC Electronics HOF (there's a mini version) or an EHX Holy Grail will serve you right. TC also has some new very cheap reverb pedals, but never tried those.

Also, Digitech stopped making pedals but I always found both the RV7 and the Polara to be the best cheap reverbs available - maybe you can still find them used?

Anyway, these days almost all reverbs, even the cheap ones, are good enough for a moderate use.
    Thanks for this. It looks very cool. I'll check for some demos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal
    Thanks so much for this. Great info. The Boing and Hagerman are both in my range. Do you have a preference between the two? I'm thinking I'll just get one.
    They're both nice, and of course, no "jazz" demos online!

BTW, nothing wrong with "used" pedals, either; sometimes you can get great deals on fancy stuff!

Hag:

Boing:

User Info Menu

Another vote for the Hall of Fame.

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    They're both nice, and of course, no "jazz" demos online!

BTW, nothing wrong with "used" pedals, either; sometimes you can get great deals on fancy stuff!

Hag:

Boing:

Thanks, all. I just ordered the Boing. The demo sounds great. Thanks, Marcwhy. And the pedal is on sale for $119 Boing - J. Rockett Audio Designs.

User Info Menu

Rockett Audio makes awesome pedals. I have never checked out the boing, but the others I have played have been stellar. I do own the Allan Holdsworth one.

User Info Menu

I will second the EHX Holy Grail. I have the Nano. There are a ton out there on the used market.

User Info Menu

Dispatch Master Digital Delay & Reverb — EarthQuaker Devices

Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master also has delay on the same pedal, if you're interested adding a little delay. They're a bit pricier, but if you look around you can find them in your range, like this one:

EarthQuaker Devices Dispatch Master Digital Delay & Reverb | Reverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by st.bede
    Rockett Audio makes awesome pedals. I have never checked out the boing, but the others I have played have been stellar. I do own the Allan Holdsworth one.
    I also have had good experiences with J. Rockett. I've had two Blue Notes, one which I kept, and an Alien Echo pedal that is pretty nice as well. I have a Meris Mercury 7 reverb. I've had lots of pedals, the Blue Note and the Mercury aren't going anyplace. Everything else got sold or is for sale. I had the Twin on 10 last week with the Blue Note at about 60% gain (lo setting) and 60% volume and the guitar was almost playing itself.

Good luck with the Boing, OP, I hope it serves you well.