The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

What are people doing ?
    It looks like the in -the-strings ones with a sponge won’t fit into an F hole on an archtop according to my question on amazon on the product…. That seems like a great case for a make-your-own adapter on a 3d printer opportunity.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi! Lots of similar threads on this!
    Try: Humidifier for Archtops

User Info Menu

I have one of these guys:

Oasis (R)OH-6 Case Humidifier - Oasis Humidifiers

It works pretty well.

Sponge/baggie in the case of every guitar I own. I even humidify the laminated ones. FWIW I fix guitars and get to see a lot of dry ones each winter. So sad when they crack, so easy to prevent.

User Info Menu

I live in the Northeastern US and between mid-October through April I run a large (two x 2-3/4 gallon tanks) evaporative humidifier in my home office / guitar room to keep it between 40-50% RH. That room is about 10’ x 20’ and it needs refilling every 4 to 8 days depending on how cold and dry it gets. In warmer months from June through September the AC drops the RH from the higher outside humidity to keep it below 60% RH.

I like to keep guitars out so they are seen and played vs. keeping them in cases.

User Info Menu

I've been using Damp-it's for about 25 yrs and never had any problems with my solid wood Martins.

User Info Menu

1/2 kitchen sponge inside ziplock sandwich bag with a bunch of holes poked through it and left inside the case. Just be sure to wring out the sponge, so it’s not dripping. Other than a couple of acoustics that I have that worm thing hanging inside the guitar, this is what I use. I’d probably not buy the worm thing again. It’s just a sponge inside a piece of tubing that has holes in it. Interestingly, my Palen 7 string came with this gorgeous Ameritage case that has a special vented compartment for their proprietary case humidifier. The humidifier is a vented plastic container that contains a clay-like substance that you immerse in water for 5 minutes every couple of weeks. Seems to work quite well.

I repair guitars as well and recommend the sponge thing to my customers. Maybe I should order special bags and sell the kit as some sort of voodoo magic.

User Info Menu

I live in California, now. I have yet to turn on the heat in my house, and in the winter, it can get down to to 55-57F in the mornings inside, it’s ok. I figured it’s way better for my guitars and my PG&E bill ($25-30 a month, year round). It’s NoCal, people wear a lot of hoodies here.

User Info Menu

Been using the Vornado marcwhy recommended, and it's been killing two birds with one stone.
    My followup with my ENT showed it's working perfectly for my nose issue.
    I keep it at 50% and hopefully it's been just as good for my guitars.
    Thanks again, Marc!

User Info Menu

Been playing for 25 years or so and have never done anything about humidification and have had no adverse effects. I’m not advising anyone to do (or not do) anything but in my experience it is overblown at least for my climate in the northeast.

User Info Menu

With laminate bodies, it's not quite the same concern as it is for solid wood flattops for example.