The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Which guitar tone do you prefer out of these two examples?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guitar tone A

15 48.39%
  • Guitar tone B

16 51.61%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 69 of 69

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I recently purchased 2 Breedlove’s, one of which is made from fully sustainable Eco friendly Myrtlewood. I’ve never had a better playing guitar with rich, warm, wood tones!

Nice! That wood wood is beautiful.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vihar
    Looks like it's from the Ervin Somogyi school so to say.
    E Somogyi worked on my L5S - a solid body -- years ago. He didn't do electronics, but he did everything else.

Nice guy. Great to deal with. Fun to visit his shop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Nice! That wood wood is beautiful.
    Thank you! Each guitar is different.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I got an ac308ce-LTD. It's their take on the "grand concert" style (Taylor 12 series).

AC308CE - Eastman Guitars
    Nice!

User Info Menu

many places here want you to play or at least be up thier for 3 hours i play solo chord melody so to avoid possible ear fatigue my choice is b B i really do like the piano ish sound of A those chord are beautiful!!!But have to go with B

User Info Menu

I give a slight edge to B. Rings a bit less in lag time and points better. Not huge differences and simply using a different pick can change sound more than these two examples.

User Info Menu

That Parker faked me out. It definitely doesn't have what I consider the typical acoustic archtop sound. It sounds more like a flat top to me. I like the sound a lot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieAG
    That Parker faked me out. It definitely doesn't have what I consider the typical acoustic archtop sound. It sounds more like a flat top to me. I like the sound a lot.
    That’s the first thing that came to my mind upon hearing it. Flattop. I don’t feel it’s a positive tone for an archtop, at least not for my personal preference.

User Info Menu

Where is the big reveal?
    I don't see a post where the guitars are identified.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersoul
    Where is the big reveal?
    I don't see a post where the guitars are identified.
    Looks like some moderator/admin sneakily removed that one post, even the ones that quoted it or parts of it. He only left a couple posts intact that refer to it, from these you can see it was up there: Pick the guitar tone you prefer - Part II.

Pick the guitar tone you prefer - Part II.

Pick the guitar tone you prefer - Part II.

Unfortunately I didn't make a screenshot of it.

The two guitars are here:

Guitar tone A:

Guitar tone B:

The poll standings before the reveal:

The poll standings of the previous preference thread:

Whoever deleted it, and whoever reported that completely benign post are evil people. This deserves the lamest internet forum award of 2023, 1st quarter.

Let's see if it's going to get deleted as well.

User Info Menu

I could tell that people knew the results, but I couldn't figure out what the results were! Thanks for reposting them.

Both sounded like flattops to me. I preferred A, but only because I had to choose. It's all a bit scented candles sounding to me.

This isn't the first time that I've thought a Ken Parker archtop sounds like a flattop. My uneducated guess is that it has to do with the bronze strings, the thinner thickness and the larger sounding area of the top. He talks about doing away with the f-holes to get more area and I think it ends up making the guitar sound more like a flattop. Maybe more area and thinner isn't necessarily better.

He also said something about his guitars being instruments in search of a music. I can see what he means. He's not going for a traditional jazz archtop sound, that's for sure. I went down the Ken Parker youtube rabbit hole one night; he has a ton of videos about everything to do with his process. I came away feeling like I know a lot, but I still don't know anything in actuality. That's the internet for ya.

User Info Menu

Archtop makers have invested so much time into perfecting the ‘arcthop’, they aren’t going to stop at it’s obvious boundaries.
    they will continue way into the 20% return of the 80/20 rule.

I think it’s an admirable pursuit because it's ultimately about the engineering mind and the pursuit of perfection but an archtop will never be the finest way to make an acoustic instrument regardless of how many extremely high end, luthiers think it can be.

i want them to be right. I’m an Archtop fanatic but alas.

(imo)

User Info Menu

As soon as it was revealed that the guitar A is a Parker archtop more people started voting for A.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    As soon as it was revealed that the guitar A is a Parker archtop more people started voting for A.
    LOL. It is a good sounding guitar though, as is guitar B.

I think a cool comparison would be a blind test, dirt cheap archtop vs gibson citation or legrand. Put some of those pampered ears to the test.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I voted A before the reveal!

User Info Menu

B here

User Info Menu

Hey, i like the "b" sound more. It's warmer more present

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    My wife says that a lot………
    Who is she, Paula Simon?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Who is she, Paula Simon?
    Sometimes I think she’s Nora Ephron’s unknown twin. One of her pet theories is that at the moment of conception, every new human randomly gets either a brain or a Y chromosome.