The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Was just curious to see if anyone played straight with no reverb or other effects.
    I see that there are plenty of vintage amps that don't have reverb or anything else, so I guess back in the day they did before pedals.
    Last edited by DMgolf66; 01-24-2023 at 05:49 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I play completely dry. I follow what Johnny Smith did and that was holding down a note while changing chords.

User Info Menu

I did for about 10 yrs when I was using my old 1950's Gibson GA-50 but I wouldn't anymore

User Info Menu

Depends on the room and the tune.

User Info Menu

I do. If I find a nice room with wooden walls, I'm in heaven.
    Let me qualify, that a looper is a part of my toolset and sometimes a plus pedal (single note sustain) and I have things I use when/if I'm playing prepared guitar.
    But I consider them dry effects.
    Last edited by Jimmy blue note; 01-24-2023 at 06:54 PM.

User Info Menu

I do - just me, the guitar, and an amp. No amount of technology or gadetry will make me sound better if I don't know what I am doing to begin with. Years ago, a fellow guitarist tried to convince me to try one his boards, thinking that I could get used to it. Never happened. It is just not my style.

User Info Menu

Dry here too. Live the room provides the verb and if I add it it gets too muddy and looses cut and punch.

And even if it’s just me at home, I like to use amps that are very rich sounding and don’t really need reverb. I like amps that sound 3d on their own.

User Info Menu

Occasionally I will have a sip of whiskey and a beer after getting set up but more often I wait to drink until after the first set so I guess I would say 75% dry.

User Info Menu

Always some reverb. Not dripping wet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    Occasionally I will have a sip of whiskey and a beer after getting set up but more often I wait to drink until after the first set so I guess I would say 75% dry.
    So, no dry January?

User Info Menu

funny, when i read the title of this thread, i thought you meant pure acoustic...as Steve Greene calls it, the 'dry box'...

User Info Menu

Always dry. I really like the normal channel on a blackface. My Trinity tweed deluxe has no reverb anyway and I never use the reverb on my Bud either.

User Info Menu

I have a silverface champ that I've played out at a jam completely dry with my L-7. Had it cranked to 8 to keep up with the rest of the band and it sounded perfect, just on the edge of break up. Got told a couple times that the tone was very Wes like so

User Info Menu

I use a Kemper.

Completely dry - no effects whatsoever, not even reverb - is one of many sounds I use. A completely dry sound can be especially effective - and quite dramatic - when it's surrounded by highly effected sounds in other parts of a song.

User Info Menu

All my amps have reverb. I never use it with my big band; in other situations it's depended on the room--most have enough ambient reverb that they don't need help from the amp. At home with my jazz setup I have a very small amount dialed in, with my modeler setup most of the presets I use have some degree of it, but I do have a couple of jazz presets that are nothing but an amp and cab block.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Lashings of reverb: the Princeton Reverb II has an Accutronics spring reverb that, when turned up to 10, sounds like the Hammer House of Horror. Maximum hauntology.

I own only a looper pedal but, of late, I have been borrowing pedals from the Music and Electronics Library at the Audio Foundation in Auckland. I can borrow three pedals for a month, from a collection that includes commercial and hand-made devices. I prefer psychedelic sounds: flangers, delays and echoes and so on.

User Info Menu

Just my 3 knob MBIII which has no reverb.

User Info Menu

Especially live i don't use much reverb, cause always the room has some. I have a couple of Tweed amps that don't have reverb, and i usually don't carry pedals at gigs with them, just the amp.

I like practicing without reverb because it's harder and it helps with your technique. If you can carry a ballad with dry sound, you 're doing something right! But then of course, a good accutronics tube reverb is enjoyable to play with also, and quite necessary for some type of jazz sounds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Lashings of reverb: the Princeton Reverb II has an Accutronics spring reverb that, when turned up to 10, sounds like the Hammer House of Horror. Maximum hauntology.

I own only a looper pedal but, of late, I have been borrowing pedals from the Music and Electronics Library at the Audio Foundation in Auckland. I can borrow three pedals for a month, from a collection that includes commercial and hand-made devices. I prefer psychedelic sounds: flangers, delays and echoes and so on.
    You make me very curious about your music.

User Info Menu

Mostly dry, sometimes just a touch of reverb. If I can actually hear the reverb, it's too much. I have a TC HOF Mini, and generally use the Ambience toneprint if I connect it. I've never heard an amp reverb that I really like, including my Vibrolux Reverb.

User Info Menu

I always use a bit of reverb. I use a pedal when playing with vintage no-verb amps. I like the idea of playing dry but the reality is that an electric guitar signal is already much drier than an acoustic instrument. I wouldn’t want reverb on a sax but just a plain electric guitar with no verb is too direct a sound for me.

My settings are usually the same. I don’t want to use reverb as an effect. I usually keep the mix very low with a long tail. I adjust the brightness of the room with respect to the guitar. Some guitars are able to cut through better with a bright reverb.

I wouldn’t pass on the reverb just to be traditional. Even Matt Munisteri gigs with a Princeton reverb and uses the verb.

User Info Menu

Usually I'm not even plugged in so yeah. Dry.

User Info Menu

Always dry.

User Info Menu

dry, unless my amp has a spring reverb in which case it's on about 1 or 2.

User Info Menu

Played unplugged, flat tops and arch tops have a natural reverb to the players ear. Pickups and amps don't re-create this without extra electronics or a lot of help from the space.

To my ears, the lack of reverb sounds two dimensional in a normal size living room when it's just me and guitar and amp. As that defines 99% of my playing time, I use reverb.