The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A while back I sold my Gibson dreadnought and tried to make a go of it acoustically with just my Gitane Gypsy jazz guitar, but the itch for a prettier tone has been building. I’ve been sort of shopping around for a while, but wasn’t loving what I found in the price range I was considering. Anyway last week I saw this on the GC website and took a flyer. I had it delivered to their local outpost in case I didn’t like it, and it arrived today.

So far, very nice. It’s in truly mint condition, beautifully made, and perfectly set up. The sound is not huge but it’s got richness, depth, and dynamics, which is what I wanted.

The deets:
    15” lower bout x 4-1/4” depth (like a Taylor 12 series)
    Solid mahogany back and sides
    Sitka spruce top
    Scallop bracing
    Cutaway
    24.9” scale length x 1.75" nut
    Chunky-ish neck (typical Eastman carve)
    Slotted peghead with open tuners
    LR Baggs pickup

$799 (I think they were around $1200 new)

The pros: sound, materials, and workmanship are top notch. The mahogany is very pretty, and the fiinish is very nice Super comfy size

Cons: none really. The slotted peghead looks cool, but I think solid pegheads are easier for restringing, but that’s my only niggle.

Overall, it’s a great guitar at a very nice price. Seems omparable to a Taylor 412ce (or maybe more like the 312?) at about half the price.

The funny: I called the store that was selling it, and they told me there was no case (ok with me since i don’t like hardshell cases and would rather get a decent gig bag). It came with a
    custom fitted Road Runner molded case. So thanks, GC?

Seems like a keeper. Now I have to decide whether also to keep my Gitane.

Here are a couple of pics.

Eastman AC308CE-LTD-bc7a7e0e-ab48-42f0-90d2-1eed40a9bae9-jpgEastman AC308CE-LTD-c1471175-c0b7-4193-ae6f-d7bc6da249be-jpg
    Last edited by John A.; 01-24-2023 at 12:29 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yeah, looks a lot like my Taylor 412 except for the headstock (a style Taylor also uses in some models I think).
    So it seems like Eastman archtops are based on Bob Benedetto designs and their flat tops are based on Bob Taylor designs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Yeah, looks a lot like my Taylor 412 except for the headstock (a style Taylor also uses in some models I think).
    So it seems like Eastman archtops are based on Bob Benedetto designs and their flat tops are based on Bob Taylor designs.
    Their flat tops are are also based on Martin D18/28 OM etc. and Gibson J45.

To John A. : Nice guitar, great price for the quality, congratulations! You will have a lot of fun playing that guitar. I'm sure it will inspire you to play different stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175

They also have Martin and Gibson based designs, as well as models that look like 14-series Taylor’s. I have to say I’m surprised more makers haven’t picked up on the Taylor 12 series the way have with the 14 series (which even Martin copies). This strikes me as a real Goldilocks design, especially with a cutaway.

User Info Menu

That's a nice looking guitar. I like 15".