The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi All,
    Just having another gear conundrum, this time amp related haha.

I'm slowly becoming unhappy with my amplified tone, as I am needed to play louder I am noticing my current rig begins to sound a bit anemic for lack of better word.
    Currently I am using a Series 2 Contra, with the old downward firing Coda cabinet.

I was wondering how much difference in sound I might achieve by purchasing a raezer's edge Twin 8 cab instead? As I have heard that these Coda cabinets are not particular voiced for guitar.

I was also just wondering if there is a difference between the newer series of Contra heads? I'm unsure of whether there is also a difference between the series.

Cheers!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have had a bunch of RE cabinets over the years (still have a couple that were made by Rich himself) and at one point I had an AI Ten-Two which had one of their cabinets.

The plastic AI cabinet sounded thin and sterile to my ears while the RE cabinets sound thick and "woody". I think the Rich made RE cabs with their Hide glue/Birch construction (The Wisconsin made RE cabs use a different glue and wood) sound best.

HTH.

User Info Menu

My RE cabs sound fabulous, but they are heavier than an AI.

User Info Menu

During the "oughts" I gigged with both AI and RE cabs. While the RE cabs might sound somewhat better I found the smaller size and lighter weight of the AI cabs was a deciding factor--my last two RE cabs haven't left home in fifteen years and are a permanent fixture in my home modeling system.

One big advantage I've found with the AI cabs is that people on stage can hear me better. I had been playing a Coda with a swing choir, switched to an NY8; the choir, which would be set up onstage to the left and somewhat behind me, immediately started complaining they could no longer hear the guitar. After experimenting with varying fixes, I eventually went back to the Coda.

Danny W.

Edit: Here's a link where this same subject was beaten to death:

Acoustic image corus combo or clarus with raezer's edge?
    Last edited by Danny W.; 01-25-2023 at 10:41 PM.