The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

No, I'm talking about the guitar picks. What were you thinking?

I normally play with a thick gator pick (1.14) or a Dunlop .71 for acoustic comping, but for the thumpier tones simulating a thumb without sacrificing the skin on my thumb, I've kinda grown fond of the wedgie rubber picks.

Anyone else play with them?

Wes had that awesome thumb that had a callous he developed over many hours of play. The wedgie seems like a cheap shortcut in that general direction.

I could listen to that all day. RIP, Wes

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I really have no idea how he managed to play his fast stuff. It's not true that it was all hammer-ons, slides and pull-offs. A lot of his fast runs definitely have each note picked. Don't know how he did it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I really have no idea how he managed to play his fast stuff. It's not true that it was all hammer-ons, slides and pull-offs. A lot of his fast runs definitely have each note picked. Don't know how he did it.
    Didn't he use down and up strokes?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound

yes !

User Info Menu

I have a few of the "stiff" ones. I also have a kind of callous on the picking corner of my RH thumb.

Both are about equally annoying in that you tend to get stuck with them and they make playing subtle notes tricky. The wedgy is somewhat appropriate for use with nylon strings as it gives a tone closer to what I get playing with flesh. I didn't like it for steel (plus they wear quickly from what I've seen).

As usual I'm talking about acoustic playing. No idea how they change the electric sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jetrier
    No, I'm talking about the guitar picks. What were you thinking?

Well I must admit I thought you meant that kind of wedgie, and was about to reply that perhaps I should try it, if it would help to make me sound like Wes Montgomery.... but I'm sure I'd end up sounding more like Barry Gibb!....

User Info Menu

Oh, I forgot to mention that they work best with nylon strings. Thanks for posting that. Its an easier transition to the wedgie with nylon, but I must admit I just use all fingers with nylon

Yes, they take a bit getting used to with steel strings. Now I'm more curious if there are wedgie-steel players

User Info Menu

I wear boxers to ensure I never do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Not as many ups as you'd think though.

Re: rubber picks-- tried one, hated it.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't call it "playing" with a wedgie, far from it... Those 4 years of highschool felt like 8 years

User Info Menu

I'd bump this reply if the Forum had the feature

+1, my friend