The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Hey all. I want to get an ebony bridge saddle for my L5 CES that came with a tune o matic. I'm sure the people here can recommend a good place to get one.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You know a good luthier? Think about having them make you a compensated bridge saddle so you can have perfect intonation. Most wooden saddles don't have this and tuning can be off. You get a luthier to do this for you and you'll have the best of both worlds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    You know a good luthier? Think about having them make you a compensated bridge saddle so you can have perfect intonation. Most wooden saddles don't have this and tuning can be off. You get a luthier to do this for you and you'll have the best of both worlds.
    I agree with that. The biggest advantage is that you can have it based upon your favorite strings. For instance, I myself never use a wound 3rd and a 12, 14p, 18p, 30, 40, 50 set of flats on my L5s.

Another possibility is buying an existing one and try to cope with it. That want break the bank. They pop up every now and then.
    I do not know where you live, but there is a cheapo one offered at Zikinf, France. It only costs 8 Euro. Shipping will be more expensive. But, it may be worth to give it a try... measure your post spacing first !
    Barre de chevalet de guitare Jazz en ebene d’occasion

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Hey all. I want to get an ebony bridge saddle for my L5 CES that came with a tune o matic. I'm sure the people here can recommend a good place to get one.
    Forum member and luthier Matt Cashman made one for me, and it was perfect. All he needed from me has a picture of the TOM. However, I don’t know if Matt is still making them.

User Info Menu

I have managed to find a couple of Johnny Smith bridges/saddles which I use on my L5’s. I prefer to use that more simple/curved style because Gibson actually used that type of saddle on L5’s and Super 400’s for several years. I always feel that a fully compensated ebony saddle doesn’t look right on an L5 because Gibson never actually made their ebony saddles that way (although their rosewood saddles were fully compensated). Respected luthiers, including D’Angelico, D’Aquisto, Benedetto and others were content to use simple curved saddles rather than the fully compensated ones, so I’m not convinced it makes a lot of difference in terms of intonation. Original Johnny Smith bridges and saddles seem to be pretty expensive these days though. If all you need is the saddle, it’s a very simple design which I’m sure would be easy enough for a skilled luthier to replicate.
    Keith
    Where to get an Ebony Saddle Replacement for Tune-o-matic?-37ff383c-48df-4952-8dff-ae2f0af9058e-png

User Info Menu

There is one listed on eBay right now. The guy claims it is an original Gibson saddle and from the pictures, it does look right to me. Gibson used those little brass bushings and there is one in this saddle (the other one is missing though). The seller says it is rosewood, but I’m not convinced it is. I have ebony ones that are a little light in color and show some grain like this one. Either way, it is dark enough that I think it would look right on an L5 base.
    Keith
    Vintage Gibson Archtop Guitar Wood Saddle NOS | eBay

Keith that one would be perfect if not for the missing bushing. Anyone know where I might find the right bushing? Google search is not turning up any results but my keywords might be off.

User Info Menu

Finding a Gibson bushing will not be easy and finding a genuine Gibson archtop bridge saddle in rosewood or Ebony will be expensive.

I would contact a bunch of archtop builders and see if one will make you what you need. I am sure it can be accomplished.

Compensated vs. non-compensated? That debate has been going on for decades. Having used both, my preference is whichever one is on my guitar. Neither will intonate as well as a TOM, but either will (IMO) deliver better tone. For me, the imperfect intonation has never been a bother.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Keith that one would be perfect if not for the missing bushing. Anyone know where I might find the right bushing? Google search is not turning up any results but my keywords might be off.
    I think you could probably use the saddle without the bushings. I’m not at home right now, so I can’t really check to see how much difference they make. Maybe someone else can comment on that.
    Keith

User Info Menu

I make them and have for others on the forum. I use the continuous gentle curve that gives pretty good intonation. Those that claim they need a tunomatic have better ears than me and I think they don't understand intonation is all over the fretboard not just the 12th fret. I have quite nice black ebony that has been sitting around the shop for at least 20 years. Not as cheap as other sources but should work. It won't look exactly like a Gibson just the typical saddle. Bushing not neccessary. I made this one for my 2005 Super 400.
    Where to get an Ebony Saddle Replacement for Tune-o-matic?-img_1357-jpgWhere to get an Ebony Saddle Replacement for Tune-o-matic?-img_1358-jpg

User Info Menu

If I needed one, I would get it from Deacon Mark. His saddle looks great.

User Info Menu

I also suggest you use Deacon Mark.

BigMike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    There is one listed on eBay right now. The guy claims it is an original Gibson saddle and from the pictures, it does look right to me. Gibson used those little brass bushings and there is one in this saddle (the other one is missing though). The seller says it is rosewood, but I’m not convinced it is. I have ebony ones that are a little light in color and show some grain like this one. Either way, it is dark enough that I think it would look right on an L5 base.
    Keith
    Vintage Gibson Archtop Guitar Wood Saddle NOS | eBay
    Just a note, I had a less than pleasant experience w this seller once

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Just a note, I had a less than pleasant experience w this seller once
    That’s important information. I would forget this one then.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark;[URL="tel:1243866"
    1243866[/URL]]I make them and have for others on the forum. I use the continuous gentle curve that gives pretty good intonation. Those that claim they need a tunomatic have better ears than me and I think they don't understand intonation is all over the fretboard not just the 12th fret. I have quite nice black ebony that has been sitting around the shop for at least 20 years. Not as cheap as other sources but should work. It won't look exactly like a Gibson just the typical saddle. Bushing not neccessary. I made this one for my 2005 Super 400.
    Where to get an Ebony Saddle Replacement for Tune-o-matic?-img_1357-jpgWhere to get an Ebony Saddle Replacement for Tune-o-matic?-img_1358-jpg
    pm sent

User Info Menu

I also recommend Deacon Mark. He made one for me last year. I think i posted a pic of it on here

User Info Menu

Another option: see if the saddle used on The Loar archtops is to your liking. They're micro-intonated (for a wound G string) and a lot more compact that many of the aftermarket equivalents. This PG-250 can be ordered through Loar dealers in the US - I got a quote for about $30 from Elderly last year.

User Info Menu

We do miss Matt Cushman here. I hope he’s doing okay. Anyone heard from Matt since he stopped building?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    We do miss Matt Cushman here. I hope he’s doing okay. Anyone heard from Matt since he stopped building?
    Yes I wonder about Matt nice fellow. I understand the retirement or getting away from some of it. I really enjoy working on guitars but frankly sanding ebony saddles the last few days is a mess. I wear a N95 mask and with belt sander and dremel tool, it still gets all over the place. I try to clean up and be careful but hands coal black and smudges of black all over anything I touch when done. I think ebony dust is the worst although steel wool can be a PIA too. Then with safety glasses they get fogged up and I all I want to do is bitch and moan.