The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 201

User Info Menu

Hi,

Im wondering if any of you guys have had any experiences with the Epiphone Broadway? Is this a better choice than the Ibanez hollowbody guitars? Im trying to stay under $800 if at all possible...Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Epiphone Broadway?-epiphone-broadway-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

i had a epiphone emperor regent (big body like the broadway, I floating pickup instead of 2 routed buckers) which served me fine for a while, but looking back on it, that guitar was probably $600 bucks that should still be in my "dream guitar fund."

The Epiphones and Ibanez's are fine to get the vibe, but in that price bracket, I'm a big champion of the Godin kingpins. I'm pretty sure you can get the double pickup cutaway version for right around $800, and I'm telling ya, it's three times the guitar the Epi's and Ibanez's are. Better in tone, fit and finish, playability, and looks (well, that last one is pretty subjective...)

I've also seen used asian d'angelico's go in that range occasionally, and again, much more guitar.

JMHO, YMMV.

User Info Menu

I recently purchased my Broadway from a local shop here in Asheville. It was purchased as new (still had factory packaging), but the serial number revealed that it was made in Korea in 2006.

I have literally owned dozens of guitars over the past forty years including 2 Gibson LP's, a 1965 Gibson ES-335, Fender Strat, Erlewine Chiquita, A Rickenbacher 12 string, Ibanez 540S-FM, Gibson ES-120T, Epi AlleyKat, a Ramierez 1a, Ramierez 2a, (bother Ramierez's has 664mm scales),and numerous "concert" guitars.

Granted my "style" has been all over the board, but what it boils down to is ever since a kid I preferred to play fingerstyle anything like Chet Atkins. After having played so many guitars, the Epi Broadway has really clicked with me. There is something there just appeals to me and brings out better playing in me. I am old enough and certainly been around enough not to be taken in just because a guitar is new to me.

After all these years I have never been happier with guitar both as far as fit & finish, quality and variety of tone, appearance and playability. This is going to be the last guitar I own.

User Info Menu

I've played Broadways and like them alot. Would have bought one a couple of years ago but the stores near me had none in stock so I ended up with a Joe Pass which is sort of a junior Broadway. Couple of months after that, I was in another music store where there was on old guy who had brought in his own Broadway and was auditioning various amps from the classic Fender tube reissures to Peavey blasters, Mesas etc. The guy was a great player in the funk/r&b/bebop veins. Anyhow, the store salesman helping him brought out a new-old-stock Epiphone ES 135 that was a Korean custom shop limited edition only available, unfortunately, in a fugly blue burst. The guy put the Broadway in his case, plugged into the ES 135 and I sat on an amp for about an hour listening to some of the best clean tones I ever heard out of six strings. Blew the Broadway into the weeds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    You know, there's nothing wrong with the ibanez's, but they have skinny necks and big frets, which always make me feel like they're meant for rock cats more than jazz players. Basically, my take is they're fine guitars, they just feature nothing i like.
    You hit the nail on the head. The neck of the Ibanez, IMHO, feels wimpy. Part of what I like about the Broadway is the relative heft to the neck.

User Info Menu

I think this underlines an important point. If possible go PLAY the guitars. I know it isnt easy on the web.

I have an EmpReg and I consider the neck average. Nice fit and finish and feel. Good guitars USED . Since I got a gibson the neck (at least to me anyway FEELS like a baseball bat but that is nothign compared to my early 50 H51)

Forums are nice.. these things look good on paper.. but the litmus test is when you get your fingers around them.

User Info Menu

I've tried a lot of guitars, and now, I've a Broadway.
    I'm very happy with it.
    I love the sound with its new humbucker CC.

But be careful about the size, it's a very big jazz box.

User Info Menu

BTW, I think the Epiphone Tree of Life headstock is the coolest one out there. Yes, even cooler than that the mother company.

Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 04-28-2010 at 11:08 AM.

User Info Menu

Bringing this thread up, because I've got sort of a decition to make, and hopefully can get some more input from you guys

there's someone in my area selling am Epiphone Broadway for a reasonable price, almost new, only half a year spent at someones home. Thing is, I had my mind set for an Ibanez Artcore Custom series archtop, but now I read some good reviews about this guitar, some not so good about the Ibanez's neck, and start to seriously consider this offer - esspecially, since getting an Ibanez would involve ordering through Ebay and all the risks that come along with it, while here I could go somewhere in my home town, sit down with the guitar, check it out, how it feels and then, if it's good, take it home the same day I just need your opinions - will I be missing out, if I choose this one over the Ibanez I mentioned?

I know this is an area where taste plays a vital role, but still, from a point of an experienced jazz guitar player, perhaps there is a way to weigh the pros and cons in a somewhat general manner.

Hopefully, there are people here, who have been around both of these. It should be said, that for the Ibanez I'd be spending at least a couple hundred extra bucks.

User Info Menu

I think the Broadway is your best bet. IMO it is a great value. I too am not a huge fan of the Ibanez jazz guitars. I do like the George Benson model, but the artcore guitars just feel akward to me. The Godin's are good guitars. I owned one of their synth guitars and it was great. The Kingpins that I have played I fealt were OK. Some people love them, it just wasn't really my thing. Didn't feel like home when I picked it up. Granted, that is TOTALLY SUBJECTIVE. The Broadway gives you a good jazz box for the money, I would also check out the Epiphone Joe Pass if you can get past the ugly pickguard and tailpiece. It all comes down to what do YOU like. I can tell you what I like, but you are the one who is going to be playing this guitar, not me! ;-)

User Info Menu

I would not buy the Broadway again. Maybe the old ones are better...

User Info Menu

I have a 2010 Broadway and a 2008 Ibanez Af75TDG, the white one. For jazz, it's the Broadway all the way. The Ibanez is good for blues and rockabilly, but if I had to go with just one of these choices, the Broadway stays. Like others have noted, the neck feels so superior to the Ibanez. And I've had intonation issues with the Ibanez, as well. The Broadway is perfect for me. I also have an Emperor Regent, a D'Angelico EXL-1, and a Gibson ES-150, and the Broadway is the one I play the most.

User Info Menu

my sunburst broadway looks,sounds, and plays great and it is my #1 go to guitar!
    Last edited by valriver40; 11-23-2011 at 11:12 AM.

User Info Menu

my guitar is from the mid 90's and still in mint con.

User Info Menu

Got a blonde Broadway that I bought new in ' 98 . Love it . Great jazz vibe . Been my main guitar for some time now . Also have a blonde Emperor Regent that I bought new in ' 96 . It's my backup axe . Nothing like a couple big blondes .

User Info Menu

My comments regarding the Epi Broadway remain the same all these months later. It is the best guitar I have ever owned. The Ibanez does not compare.

User Info Menu

As noted in prior posts, I'm a major fan of Epiphone jazz boxes -- fine guitars for a modest cash outlay. In addition to a Broadway, I have a Joe Pass and ES-175 reissue. The Broadway's a delight! Highly recommended!

User Info Menu

If you are looking for that fat, warm, dark, big jazz sound i think that the Epiphones are a nice place to start. I would immediately switch the pickups (to classic 57 or Duncan Jazz or Fralin or ... There are many good options) and perhaps the nut and bridge (less important though) but then they are great value for the money. They look nice, play nice, sound nice. You can of course not expect the same as you would get from a 5K boutique archtop. My personal favorite is the Joe Pass model that is a bit smaller and thinner than the Broadway or the Regent. To me it plays and feels just beautifully.

I could never get excited about the Ibaneze Artcore series (would enjoy the Benson model though). I don't know why. Maybe it is what Mr Beaumont said - skinny neck, big frets. They somehow feel cheaper than the Epiphones even if that is probably unfair to the hardware they use. It is a matter of taste obviously. It is best to play one. They are everywhere. And the stock pickups are better than on the Epiphones i think.

I general i love Godin guitars. The Kingpin, IMHO is a bit special. It does not have *that* jazz tone. It sounds more like a vintage accoustic archtop. It is a fine guitar and after lowering the action considerably it also plays nice. It is very lightweight. The p90s on it sound nice. It took me a while to experiment with strings and IMHO it sounds best with bronze strings. However, you can't amplify it then (laws of physics :-)). The best compromise to me turned out to be white bronze strings from GHS. It sounds very clear, a bit woody yet very different from that Gibsone'sque tone that the Epis have. Very intersting if you are looking for something in between an accoustic and an electric sound.

User Info Menu

Those Godin archtops, beautiful to look at, nice electronics, but there is no "there" there. I've tried to buy one more than once, and take it from my wife, nobody has to bend my arm to make me buy an archtop... on the other hand, (or arm), no one can stop me from buying one, either. Here is my 2c review of the Godin archtops I've played:
    "Too light"
    "Doesn't come close to what I already have"

Notice, recommendations here pretty much go with Epis that are NOT GIBSON COPIES. Gibson doesn't make a Broadway, nor an Emperor Regent, nor Joe Pass... the jazz boxes that are unique to the Epiphone line are great sounding axes, well worth the money. Wouldn't pay 2 grand for one, but I feel like both of mine were well worth the $500 each I've laid out for them.
    Last edited by khingdheano; 11-24-2011 at 03:41 AM.

User Info Menu

I've been curious about how the Stromberg Montreux compares to the Epiphone Broadway. This is a test of both guitars, each through the same set up. The computer mic distorts a bit so it's probably better to listen with headphones and the volume somewhat down. Below is the info for the two guitars:

Epiphone Broadway
    Body - Maple
    Top - Spruce
    Neck - Maple w/Rosewood Fretboard
    Pickup - Alnico Classic Humbucker
    Strings - D'Addario ECG25 Chromes Flat Wound, Light, 12-52

Stromberg Montreux
    Body - Maple
    Top - Laminated Spruce
    Neck - Maple w/Rosewood Fretboard
    Pickup - Kent Armstrong Vintage Jazz Humbucker
    Strings - D'Addario ECG25 Chromes Flat Wound, Light, 12-52

Amp - Egnater Tourmaster 4100
    Cabinets - Port City
    Speakers - Scumback M75
    Reverb - Strymon Blue Sky
    Delay - Strymon Timeline

Let me know which guitar's sound you like better!

All the best,

junkergeorge

Last edited by junkergeorge; 12-08-2012 at 02:31 PM.

User Info Menu

I suspect that they both come out of the same Korean factory and other than the name and body shape, they are quite the same. Pressed spruce top.

Sounds good nonetheless.

User Info Menu

Yes...nice playing!
    I prefer first one guitar- Epiphone Broadway.
    but...recordings has a little distortion on my comp.
    I think Broadway has quite good humbucker...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Yes...nice playing!
    I prefer first one guitar- Epiphone Broadway.
    but...recordings has a little distortion on my comp.
    I think Broadway has quite good humbucker...
    Thanks Kris! I like the way the Epiphone sounds too. I think the Alnico Classic sounds warmer than the Kent Armstrong Vintage Jazz Humbucker. The Armstrong is louder (more distortion on the mic because it's louder, while everything else was set the same), but thinner sounding IMO.

User Info Menu

I liked the tone (and looks) of the B'way better. I have a Peerless-made B'way, and no way do the pups sound that good. At least mine didn't. No way could they be that clear. I put some GFS Mean 90's in and it sounds great.

User Info Menu

Thanks! Overall, I like the B'way better too. As an entry level Archtop, I happen to prefer the way it plays, sounds (and looks). I know it's subjective, but I prefer a richer, warmer sound from an Archtop. I think some players would definitely prefer the Stromberg and it's brighter sound sound though. I think they are both fine choices for an entry level guitar depending on which way a player's ears go.

Thanks for mentioning the pups and the clarity of sound as well. I'm working a lot with amps and tone right now, trying for big, fat tone that doesn't overpower the guiar itself and is true to the wood. The challenge for me is that I'm doing all my work on tone with tube amps and strats. There are two main paradigms there: Alder Body with Maple Neck w/Rosewood and Ash Body with Maple Neck, no Rosewood. It's striking what a difference wood can make.

Applying the same principles for the Archtop has a lot of similarities as I try for good tone, but the hollow construction of the Archtop brings out interesting differences to work with. It would be cool to hear about your experiences with working towards good tone using your Archtop, Amp, Pups, etc.