The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 201

User Info Menu

Sorry for the stupid answer, i'm kind of new to jazz boxes, but i'm surprised by how much treble you can get, sounds to me like the acoustic sound was picked up also. Does all this clarity and almost acoustic quality only come from the mag pu and the speaker ? If so, i'm impressed ! Sounds like a full freq. range amp
    Last edited by xuoham; 12-12-2012 at 11:22 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xuoham
    Sorry for the stupid answer, i'm kind of new to jazz boxes, but i'm surprised by how much treble you can get, sounds to me like the acoustic sound was picked up also. Does all this clarity and almost acoustic quality only come from the mag pu and the speaker ? If so, i'm impressed ! Sounds like a full freq. range amp
    Hey Xuoham,

I'm pretty new to archtops too. I've been working alot with tone using my strat and some basic principles with attenuating otherwise very loud amps. A good amp with alot of headroom is a beautiful thing in my book. Now I'm experimenting with using what I've learned about amplification and applying it to the archtop. I haven't found a lot online about this kind of thing applied to archtops and so I'm experimenting and learning as I go.

The amp has a lot of headroom and when it's cranked (but attenuated) it seems to bring out the sound of the wood in the guitar (the acoustic quality you mentioned). I was working with it tonight as well and the wood / clarity / acoustic quality was all there in the room. The Port City cabs really help with that though. I'll keep experimenting and try to post some more vids to let you know how it goes.

Here are the details for the amp, etc.

Amp - Egnater Tourmaster 4100
    (6L6 Head), running super hot (main volume, and preamp volumes on 8)
    Attenuator - THD Hot Plate
    (sends the hot amp signal to the cabs at a more listenable volume while keeping the signal hot - really great for clean sounds with the gain kept much lower)
    Cabinets - Port City 2x12
    (These are the most unbelievable cabs. The spread the sound all over the room. They are specially built ported (enclosed) cabs with some bevelled wood inside to throw the sound out. Really +1)
    Speakers - Scumback M75
    (I really like their warmth)
    Reverb - Strymon Blue Sky
    (minimal)
    Delay - Strymon Timeline
    (minimal)

User Info Menu

I have noticed some recent love around here for the Epiphone Emperor Regent. But, what about the Broadway? I have been itching for something new and the Broadway is something that I've been thinking about. (the newer ones)
    I have had good luck with the Epiphone's that I have had in the past, Les Paul, Dot, Sheraton II which I still have. I also had an Emperor Regent that I liked, but sold in a pinch. There is not all that much information about them and the you tube reviews are lacking a bit.
    Does anyone have any informative opinions about them? I am no pro, so, I sure don't need a Gibson and I don't really care for any of the Ibanez's that I have played. Any other L5 like guitars that I should be thinking about?

Well if any Broadway is as good as my newly acquired used Emperor Regent than I would not hesitate looking at one.
    I have come to the conclusion recently that if I would recommend any Epiphone product to anybody it would be one of their hollow electric archtop guitars. Too each his/her own of course!

User Info Menu

The new ones look different to the older ones. The older (I think Korean) ones have f holes and a body shape just like an L5, but the newer ones (from China?) have slightly different proportions. For me that makes the older ones more attractive. I'm pretty sure that pretty much most guitars need a proper set up to be properly playable, and the Emperor that I had played very nicely after a good set up. They are obviously a budget guitar, as the woods are plain, and the varnish rather thick, but at the price it is fantastic value. I have an Elitist Broadway now which is a bit different as it is made in Japan, very beautiful, and to my ears plays and sounds suberb. Sadly not made anymore. If you can find an Elitist Broadway you won't be disappointed. Around £1000 in the uk, which might be $1600. I still hanker after a real L5 but like you my playing doesn'ty justify it. However that is not really a reason not to buy!!!

User Info Menu

If I would be again on the market for an Epiphone Archtop, I would try to track down an older Korean one from Samick or Peerless or better an Elite/Elitist from Japan like plasticpigeon is suggesting. I know of at least 2 guys here have Peerless Broadway, they might chime in. These older Broadways were sharing the same construction quality as the Regent so my take is that they are a good value. Unfortunately have no clue regarding recent ones.
    I love my 1 pickup Broadway

User Info Menu

I had a Korean (Samick) one for a while. Great-playing, well-made guitar; never cared for the stock 'buckers, so I swapped them for some P-90s, which really brought it to life. While the "reissue" bears but a passing resemblance to the original, it does share the longer scale length, so be aware of that - mine had great low-string clarity like a Fender, but a stiffer feel than a Gibson with the same gauge strings.
    Attached Images Attached Images Epiphone Broadway?-dsc_0022-jpg 

User Info Menu

I got one of the older Peerless made Broadways, and I really love it. Plays really well, and I could set it up with a really low action without any buzzing. Was not a big fan of the original Tailpiece, so I changed that for an L5-styled one. It also sounds really loud and well balanced when played acoustically. Gotta say that I don't care too much for the newer ones. Only played one of them so far, but that one didn't even get anywhere close the older ones.

Paul

User Info Menu

This is an Elitist version, bit more money but a lot more guitar!Epiphone Broadway?-dsc00162-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danno1985
    I had a Korean (Samick) one for a while. Great-playing, well-made guitar; never cared for the stock 'buckers, so I swapped them for some P-90s, which really brought it to life. While the "reissue" bears but a passing resemblance to the original, it does share the longer scale length, so be aware of that - mine had great low-string clarity like a Fender, but a stiffer feel than a Gibson with the same gauge strings.
    Hi Danno, can you tell us where you got the humbuck to p90 conversion mounting rings ?.

User Info Menu

I own a korean Broadway.... I love it, fit/finish and playability are all great- as good as my Proline Gretsch. I haven't settled on pickups yet... the stock humbuckers were awful, so I tried Phat Cats- nice, but I was looking for less of a P90 sound and more of an old school Dearmond sound... this huge spruce top hollowbody puts out so many mids, I feel a clearer pickup is more what I want.... so I currently have Surf 90s in it, and like them alot, but will be buying the Bare Knuckles Manhattans- which are low-wind P90s..... might even try a set of TV Jones T'Armonds, if they are available in a humbucker mount.....

Actually, I forgot... a set of Pete Biltoft (Vintage Vibe) humbucker-sized Charlie Christians are also on the list to try... I also think the Seymour Duncan Staple pickups would sound great in this guitar.

Epiphone Broadway?-bway-jpg
    Last edited by ruger9; 02-08-2015 at 11:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pubylakeg
    Hi Danno, can you tell us where you got the humbuck to p90 conversion mounting rings ?.
    Sure. I bought mine from Allparts; I believe Lollar and Fralin sell them as well.

The pickups I used are the GFS low-wind P-90s. While I've heard plenty of mixed things about GFS, I have to say - these particular pickups rocked. They are built really well, have the nice braided leads, and sound great - not too hot at all. Great string-to-string clarity. And, as you can see, the pickup spacers covered the mounting holes for the humbuckers completely for a nice, stock look. I have to say, if you're disappointed with the lack of P-90 options in the Epiphone archtop lineup, this conversion is well-worth it.
    Attached Images Attached Images Epiphone Broadway?-dsc_0026-jpg 

User Info Menu

Wow those P90s w/spacers look fantastic. I have always went for a cream/gold motif with mine (because that's what some of the vintage Epi Zephyrs Deluxes were), but wow.... black P90s look great. (personally, I'd have to find some vintage-y black knobs, I HATE the stock ones, they look cheap to me)

User Info Menu

Many Thanks for the info Danno1985, just another question, do you have to extend the humbucker sized routing in the top to accommodate the P90s ?. Presumably the screw holes for the P90 mounting rings also require additional holes in the top?. And is this mod permanent or semi reversible ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pubylakeg
    Many Thanks for the info Danno1985, just another question, do you have to extend the humbucker sized routing in the top to accommodate the P90s ?. Presumably the screw holes for the P90 mounting rings also require additional holes in the top?. And is this mod permanent or semi reversible ?
    No routing necessary; the spacers lift the magnet enough to clear the top. I did have to drill two holes for the P90s, but other than that, it's totally reversible, and you wouldn't be able to see the new holes if you re-installed the humbuckers.

User Info Menu

I just bought a new Broadway. Got a nice price on it !
    I'm still on the learning curve with it, as it is my first big jazz box (I'm more used to thinlines)
    It is made in Korea, Unsung factory, July 2014.
    It is nicely made, but coating is rather thick and frets need polishing.
    Acoustically, it sounds much better balanced, but not louder than my '59 ES125T. In fact, I expected more volume from such a big box, compared to a thinline, but I still have to find the strings that will suit the best. Will it open up with time and playing ?
    Plugged-in, I didn't succeed in getting the tones I want yet, but I didn't have enough time to tweak these days. I suspect electronics on general, not only pick-ups, to be worth a change in the coming year ! Danno's suggestion to switch to P90 is rather tempting.
    For the price, that is a good guitar. It will need some work and (little) money to become a very good guitar, at least one which will suit my modest needs and capabilities.
    But try before buying (as always !)
    Epiphone Broadway?-dsc_0002-jpg
    Here is the beauty.
    The "€" on the pickguard fell off at once !

User Info Menu

Acoustic volume is not the Broadway's (or I dare say, any 2-pickups-top-mounted archtop) forte'. It was really meant to be used electrically. However- for acoustic volume....

1) I have found the wood bridge gives the best acoustic volume/most woody-acoustic sound.

2) string gauge needs to be at least 12's to drive the top for any decent acoustic volume.

I like the acoustic volume my B'way has, but I am under no illusion: it's nice to hear sitting on the couch, but that's it... you're not going to be jamming with any other acoustic instruments unless you are plugged in.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all of the responses. I am still very interested in one of these or the Emperor Regent. A '04 Emperor Regent came up on my local craigslist this weekend. I emailed the guy (or girl) right away, less than an hour after they posted it, I got no response until last night telling me that someone beat me to it. I'm heartbroken. It is entirely possible that the person who beat me to it is in this forum. If so..You Bastard! Only kidding of course. So, now I am on the hunt for a 17" archtop. And, I really like the Epiphones.
    I am wondering if Epiphone might be doing a treatment to the Broadway or revisiting the Emperor Regent like they did with the ES-175. I played one a couple of days ago at Guitar Center. It is really nice. I already have an Eastman AR371. If I didn't, I would seriously be looking into this guitar. I am biased, but, I wish that Epiphone would do more with their archtops. It is, after all, their history and heritage.
    And, The Broadway with the P90's is very sweet looking.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    I just bought a new Broadway. Got a nice price on it !
    I'm still on the learning curve with it, as it is my first big jazz box (I'm more used to thinlines)
    It is made in Korea, Unsung factory, July 2014.
    It is nicely made, but coating is rather thick and frets need polishing.
    Acoustically, it sounds much better balanced, but not louder than my '59 ES125T. In fact, I expected more volume from such a big box, compared to a thinline, but I still have to find the strings that will suit the best. Will it open up with time and playing ?
    Plugged-in, I didn't succeed in getting the tones I want yet, but I didn't have enough time to tweak these days. I suspect electronics on general, not only pick-ups, to be worth a change in the coming year ! Danno's suggestion to switch to P90 is rather tempting.
    For the price, that is a good guitar. It will need some work and (little) money to become a very good guitar, at least one which will suit my modest needs and capabilities.
    But try before buying (as always !)
    Epiphone Broadway?-dsc_0002-jpg
    Here is the beauty.
    The "€" on the pickguard fell off at once !
    The roughness to the frets seems to be common with Epiphones. Tried a couple of different models at the local GC and they all had the same roughness to them. You think they would take care of that before sending it out. Finish thickness also seems to vary with the model. As for the E falling off, is that a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by miken
    Thanks for all of the responses. I am still very interested in one of these or the Emperor Regent. A '04 Emperor Regent came up on my local craigslist this weekend. I emailed the guy (or girl) right away, less than an hour after they posted it, I got no response until last night telling me that someone beat me to it. I'm heartbroken. It is entirely possible that the person who beat me to it is in this forum. If so..You Bastard! Only kidding of course. So, now I am on the hunt for a 17" archtop. And, I really like the Epiphones.
    I am wondering if Epiphone might be doing a treatment to the Broadway or revisiting the Emperor Regent like they did with the ES-175. I played one a couple of days ago at Guitar Center. It is really nice. I already have an Eastman AR371. If I didn't, I would seriously be looking into this guitar. I am biased, but, I wish that Epiphone would do more with their archtops. It is, after all, their history and heritage.
    And, The Broadway with the P90's is very sweet looking.
    Wow I am surprised the Emperor Regent went so quick! My 2005 model that I bought last month was advertised for almost 2 weeks before I bought it. The seller was only asking $450 w/case OBO for it. As soon as I had the money I offered the seller $400 and left his house with it. Now you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands...lol.

Have patience I am sure another will show up for sale again! Best of luck!
    Last edited by OldGuitarPlayer; 02-09-2015 at 12:36 PM.

User Info Menu

To the OP as alternative to the Broadway in that price range there is also the Samick "Greg Bennett" JZ4 and the Aria FA70 that could be an option on the second hand market.
    What I wish Epiphone would do is an elitist laminated maple top 17 inch body/25.5 scale with a single P90 or even better a CC riser
    I am probably dreaming
    Last edited by vinlander; 02-09-2015 at 01:08 PM. Reason: precision

User Info Menu

I have had an Elitist Broadway since I got it new in 2006. They don't make them any more, but if you run across one for sale, buy it. It's a whole other animal from the standard Broadway (which isn't bad).

Other guitars have come and gone (including a Gibson L7-C and L-5 Wesmo), but I kept the Epi, if that means anything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuitarPlayer
    Wow I am surprised the Emperor Regent went so quick! My 2005 model that I bought last month was advertised for almost 2 weeks before I bought it. The seller was only asking $450 w/case OBO for it. As soon as I had the money I offered the seller $400 and left his house with it. Now you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands...lol.

Have patience I am sure another will show up for sale again! Best of luck!
    I know. I even said to my wife "This guitar ain't going anywhere fast.". I had full mental ownership. I was even shopping online for a new tail piece. I am in Milwaukee, so, it's not a small city, but there is not a huge jazz guitar scene either. I can check Madison and Chicago's market as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Al Br.
    As for the E falling off, is that a bad thing?
    In fact, no, not at all !
    It will be more difficult on the truss rod cover ...

Forgot to mention the filing on the nut :
    Epiphone Broadway?-dsc_0020-jpg
    But to me, it's not a major issue at that price
    (I had to rework the nuts of my Gibsons too)

The fretboards inlays are really nice looking

User Info Menu

Chazmo, I'be been lusting after an L5 for a while, but I've just not quite managed to part with the large amount of cash necessary to buy one. Does your statement mean that you would consider the Elitist Broadway on a level with a Wesmo, and perhaps I should be content with what I have?

P.S. I had a Greg Bennet too. that was a good guitar, surprising acoustic sound, but it needed the wiring rearranging as the tone controls didn't do anything.

Epiphone Broadway?-samick-5-jpg
    Last edited by plasticpigeon; 02-10-2015 at 07:14 AM.