The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

He advertises the Semi-Hollow as being designed to excel at jazz, archtop-like tones.

My question for people who have actually played one: does it do noticeably better jazz tones than other high-end laminate semi-hollows w/ a center block, like custom shop ES-335s or Collings I-35LCs?

My gut would say that when you've got them on the neck pickup with the tone at 6, probably these guitars all sounds pretty similar. Which is to say, great! And great for jazz.

But if anyone has experience with the Sadowsky SH and can say otherwise, that it's jazz tone blows other semi-hollows out of the water, I'd love to hear your feedback. [Edit: I've read most of the threads on the Sadowsky SH, and most people rave about it ... but haven't really seen much in the way of direct comparison of jazz tones vs. other high-end semi-hollows.]

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I can chime in on this. I have had Sadowsky Semi-Hollow as my main axe for a while now. For it's size and weight it has quite amazing tone. It is closer to ES175 than ES335 in my opinion. It has beautiful open sound. It has less midrange and output than my ES-175 but I much prefer the tone of Sadowsky to the Gibson. Of course it has less bass and thunk so if you are looking for that you need to go for full hollow. Then again it is not far off.

Playability is sooooo good on those.

In fact I might as well put the ES-175 for sale so I can GAS some other gear instead.

User Info Menu

I think the answer is yes, but I'm just a hack, so don't pay any attention to me. But these two folks seem to think it makes a fine jazz guitar, and they're much better players than me.............

Go to the 15 minute mark on this one:

This one has the SH from the start:

User Info Menu

That is Sadowsky‘s focus and selling point.

I have yet to come across negative stuff said about his guitars. I also have not really researched either. I have never had a chance to play one, and my jazz chops would not be able to meet the challenge.

However, I have played a high end Tom Anderson strat type guitar. I would of thought, a good strat is a good strat… it is a simple design. That Anderson was amazing. In my limited experiences, much better the any old strat, I have ever played.

How much better is similar to other high end stuff. Once you pass, really good and move into excellent, the differences become somewhat less critical, to just preforming a normal task.

My question to myself is, “ does this guitar really fit with my personal approach, habits, musicality, and will it allow me to really do what my inner musical voice wants”?

I always wonder, maybe one (scary) expensive guitar is better the 12 professional level guitars. However, I would always feel awkward. That has to do with psychological stuff and economic concerns.

Those are just my thoughts and could be completely useless.

User Info Menu

They sure can Play...... Love Lolivone's tone too....
    But, I simply am amazed at Emmet's talent and artistry. This guy has dazzling chops, incredible timing and a keyboard knowledge that astounds.Check out the Wes tune at 1hr.20'.00 Russel just listens and shakes his head and smiles .....

Thx for posting

S

[QUOTE=kevmoga;1246974] these two folks seem to think it makes a fine jazz guitar, /QUOTE]
    Last edited by SOLR; 02-06-2023 at 05:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Agreed, the Live from Emmet's series is one of the best things I've stumbled upon in ages. Check out some of the others he's done, I haven't found one that disappoints yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kevmoga
    Agreed, the Live from Emmet's series is one of the best things I've stumbled upon in ages. Check out some of the others he's done, I haven't found one that disappoints yet.
    I watch regularly . I just haven't heard a guitarist that could really keep up with Emmet....yet. Grasso did a fine job as did Gilad...but, it just misses the energy that guy puts in his playing...

S

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by st.bede

However, I have played a high end Tom Anderson strat type guitar. I would of thought, a good strat is a good strat… it is a simple design. That Anderson was amazing. In my limited experiences, much better the any old strat, I have ever played.

Many years ago, I had my first opportunity to try out a pre-CBS Fender Strat.

It was, quite possibly, the worst Strat I've ever played. Stiff, lifeless, just awful. I've played Squier Strats that played and sounded better.

Anyway, on that same day, I also had an opportunity to try out a Tom Anderson Strat. I still remember it, because I was completely blown away by it. Absolutely amazing guitar, probably to best Strat I've ever played...

User Info Menu

ive had a Sadowsky Semi since 2010, Yes gets a really good jazz tone..used it for years and still do for jazz gigs but i also have a Moffa Lorraine and a Victor Baker that i take for jazz now but the Sadowsky can cover a a lot of ground. Ive done rock gigs on this thing, variety bands. etc..ive changed the pickups out to Lindy Fralin pure PAFs which are nice. but i recommend one...i love the neck on it too...BTW i just recently bought a Sadowsky T-Style..this exact instrument that Chuck Loeb played here,

User Info Menu

The playability and fingerboard ease of the Sadowsky guitars are just head and shoulders great! Just perfect. I don’t know what they do, but I presume it has something to do with the fact that do the final setup in house, after the guitar arrives from Japan. They don’t seem to let any clunkers out the door. (I have a Jim Hall and have played the semi).

Sadowsky always marketed themselves as making an affordable guitar for the gigging guitarist, but, like everyone else, their prices pretty much doubled in the past 10-15 years. That’s not a knock on them, seems to be industry wide.

User Info Menu

I thought Sadowsky were only custom made. Either I am so old that at one point there were only hand made Sadowsky guitars, or I never knew. I remember reading an article in Guitar Player magazine with Mike Stern talking about his Sadowsky tele type guitar. I think I priced the guitars at that time and they were outside of my price range. I also priced Alembic. I even called them. They were also past my price abilities. Next thing people will be telling me that Gretsch guitars are not made in the US anymore.

User Info Menu

Its just the archtops that are made in Japan and then shipped to NYC for setup etc...all the S & T - style guitars and all basses are made in NY.

..but there is also the cheaper Metro line i believe its called. that are made in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by st.bede
    I thought Sadowsky were only custom made. Either I am so old that at one point there were only hand made Sadowsky guitars, or I never knew. I remember reading an article in Guitar Player magazine with Mike Stern talking about his Sadowsky tele type guitar. I think I priced the guitars at that time and they were outside of my price range. I also priced Alembic. I even called them. They were also past my price abilities. Next thing people will be telling me that Gretsch guitars are not made in the US anymore.

User Info Menu

I was watching a Marcus Miller interview a few weeks ago and he said Sadowsky was the best tech for setting up basses in NYC back in the 70s ... maybe guitars, too.

I guess he built his reputation on his tech work, fantastic set ups and his preamps for his basses, which Marcus Miller is known for using on his Jazz bass, and then started offering his own basses and guitars.

Would love to try one of his guitars, but I've run out of room for new guitars. LOL