The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Be careful to check the length. Some archtops are a tad longer than acoustic cases, because of the rounder lower bout and often a longer headstock than a flattop.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    The leatherette material feels very sturdy.
    I read or heard somewhere recently that PU leather isn't ignifuge like real leather is, rather the contrary. Something I'd double-check personally!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Be careful to check the length. Some archtops are a tad longer than acoustic cases, because of the rounder lower bout and often a longer headstock than a flattop.
    You also have to consider the headstock angle, especially for softer cases or those with fairly rigid neck support. There are many reports in various forums of pressure against the tip of the headstock when Gibsons and others with 17 degree angles are put in bags that don’t have clearance between the back edge of the top of the headstock and the case. A few report breaks when the bag was dropped on its back.

This is a frequent criticism of the Mono Sleeve. Even with 7 string archtops, I haven’t encountered it in my Mono “semi hollow” Vertigo bag. The headstock has about 1/2” of clearance at the tip. But this is one of the main reasons I spent the extra $ for the Vertigo over the Sleeve.

User Info Menu

I have a gig bag made by company called Music Area. The model is called Wind 30. It’s a fantastic bag, as good as a Mono M80, and it was only $110. It seems to be out of production, but similar models sometimes pop up on Amazon (with highly variable pricing). They also sell via their own website. This model looks to be most similar to what I have

RB30 Acoustic Guitar Case
    – Music Area

For the price ($189 + shipping), probably not worth it vs a Mono, but if you can find one for less, I’d say jump on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I have a gig bag made by company called Music Area. The model is called Wind 30. It’s a fantastic bag, as good as a Mono M80, and it was only $110. It seems to be out of production
    Yes! I have two of those, the acoustic bag and the electric bag. Awesome protection and storage compartments, built like a tank, and a cool classy pale green color. Sold my ProGo bag. I wanted to get the 15" classical version too, but when I got around to it they were no longer available. I keep scouring reverb and ebay and random google.

User Info Menu

I use a Mono Vertigo (the acoustic guitar version for my archtop) and I'm happy with it. Besides very good protection (like other high end soft cases) the top loading feature is what really sets it apart. Just so convenient – especially on a tight stage – that I have these now for electric, semi and archtop/acoustic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guavajelly
    I use a Mono Vertigo (the acoustic guitar version for my archtop) and I'm happy with it. Besides very good protection (like other high end soft cases) the top loading feature is what really sets it apart. Just so convenient – especially on a tight stage – that I have these now for electric, semi and archtop/acoustic.
    And the size of bags by the same name (eg semi-hollow, dreadnought, acoustic etc) can be very different between brands. it’s critical to read the specs on the manufacturer’s website for each bag under consideration, because those numbers are often either wrong or missing from the vendors’ descriptions.

The Mono Vertigo “semi-hollow” is 16 x 4” deep, but the Gator Icon “335” bag is 17 x 3 1/2”. And the Vertigo “acoustic” bag is 16 x 4 1/2” while the Gator Icon “Dreadnought” is 16 1/2” x 5 1/2”. A few “acoustic” bags are 17” at the lower bout and will properly carry and protect L-5s etc. But the Mono Classic “jumbo acoustic” Vertigo is 17 x 5, the Gator “jumbo acoustic” is 17 x 5 1/2, and the Road Runner RR4TAG “acoustic” bag is 17 x 4 1/2. An extra inch of depth can be necessary for a given archtop. But it can also compromise protection for guitars that are thin enough to shift upward and let the bridge slam against the inside of the bag if dropped on its top.

I found it best to contact the manufacturer and ask which of their bags fit my guitars. Mono answered within a day by email. Gator is a phone call away, and the guy who answered the phone really knew his stuff. The right bag will protect your guitar to its fullest. But if the guitar can shift around inside, protection is compromised and the cost of a better bag is wasted.

You even have to be careful dealing with the custom makers. A few months ago, I wanted a leather bag for my 16” Eastman and the Cronkhite website showed a bag in stock for a “Benedetto x700 / 7 string Bravo Deluxe”. These are clearly not the same size - the X700 is a 17” guitar and the Bravo is a 16. So I called and asked for the physical measurements of the bag. It’s for a full body 17. That’s when I ordered my second Mono Vertigo (a semi hollow).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I found it best to contact the manufacturer and ask which of their bags fit my guitars. Mono answered within a day by email. Gator is a phone call away, and the guy who answered the phone really knew his stuff. The right bag will protect your guitar to its fullest. But if the guitar can shift around inside, protection is compromised and the cost of a better bag is wasted.
    +++
    I've also found Thomann very helpful in this regard; they even gave me a list with cases that would be suitable for my LH650, after I gave them the dimensions. Good thing too; I needed that case so a friend could go buy & pick up the guitar for me.

User Info Menu

When I bought the Vertigo for my GB200 (which is a little bit bigger than 16") I just asked the retailer (tfoa.eu – recommendable). Actually I asked them to try it before sending the guitar and they were kind enough to try. I used the hardcase in the subway once (still have to bring my arm back to normal length ;-) and then ordered the bag. I think it's a good idea to try if there is any doubt if the guitar fits.
    The problem with big hardcases is not the weight IMHO, but bulkiness in public transportation and the fact that you have to carry them with the hand that you want to play with right after that. If you're going by car, Uber, cab that's not a problem. I often take the subway or my bike going to local gigs or rehearsals. Or someone from the band collects me and often has his own gear in the car. A more compact and softer bag is beneficial in this situation as you don't want to put more stress into loading and unloading.
    But I can understand that some still prefer a hardcase. I just learned about this solution to carry that on you back anyway: Fame Guitar Case Carrying System – Fame Guitar Case Carrying System (Black) | MUSIC STORE professional