The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 34

User Info Menu

So i have a hard shell case already…. What brand/ models are out there that people seem to like besides Mono, Gator and Reunion Blues ? Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I just spent over 2 years looking for the right bag for my 16" archtops and flattop - and I ended up with Mono Vertigos.

You need to make some decisions and some estimations.

• To how much risk is your guitar exposed?
    • What kind - weather? things falling on or crushing it in trunks and the backs of trucks? being knocked over or dropped? do you fly with it? etc
    • How often and how hard do you use it - multiple gigs per wek, a few rides per month to friend's houses to play?
    • How much is the guitar worth and is it readily replaceable?

There are 3 basic kinds of gig bags - soft and unreinforced, less soft with some reinforocement, and seriously reinforced. Better ones have dedicated neck support, and really good ones have padded ends with recesses to protect against damage if the loaded bag is dropped on its end. Some are weather-resistant, and a few even come with covers. The Gator Icon is one tough bag that comes with a cover and is truly resistant to crushing, dropping, poking etc. These industrial strength bags are also larger by far than the rest, but there's no substitue if your guitar is truly exposed to frequent, serious risk of injury.

Gator, Road Runner, RB, Levys, Cronkhite, Mono, and several others make bags in one or more categories. They're all good and they all have high end bags that do a great job for a lot of money. You get what you pay for, with weatherproof, reinforced highly protective bags costing upwards of $250. I had a Levy's leather bag for years and thought it was really cool, although I rarely used it. But they're now both very expensive and less protective than the best modern alternatives. Probag makes great leather bags for reasonable $ if that appeals to you - but I don't think they're as durable and protective and the best Gators, Monos, RBs etc. I still think they're cool, though.

The Ibanez PowerPads are great gigbags for their prices. They're not heavily padded or weather-protected, but they're well made and inexpensive if you're a low risk guitarist. I have one for my 16" guitars and use it for casual carrying to a friend's place in decent weather. PowerPad Ultras are much better and about twice as expensive - but they're well protected against rain etc and I like them.

I've had a few Road Runners, and their top line is among the best of the intermediate strength bags that I've seen. I use a RR for my LP and after 25 years, it's still intact and without holes or broken parts (although it does have the patina of use ). The Gator Transit line is also great value in a very nice bag that provides better than average protection.

Mono makes an entry level line called the Sleeve for about $170 that's durable, but it's not reinforced. It's rain-resistant, has good neck support, is easy to carry, and is great for frequent, low risk use. The next level of Monos is a bit of a mystery to me right now because it costs almost as much as the Vertigo line and there don't seem to be many models. The Vertigo is their top line bag - it's tough, highly protective, easyto carry, and very very well made. I have both the thinner semi-hollow size for my thinner archtops and an acoustic sized bag for full body archtops and flattops (all 16"). At $269, I think it's well worth the $ if your guitar is at all valuable. I'm still deciding which to get for my 17" archtop, which I do not take on gigs.

I love Mono, and I've had great service from Ibanez, Road Runners and Levys. I hope that's helpful.

User Info Menu

I use this one: Ritter RGP8 Super Jumbo Guitar BWK – Thomann UK

I haven't tried but I'm almost certain you could let the instrument tip over top-down and it'd come out find. It's definitely enough in situation where you don't risk anything falling on top of it or piercing it.

1 thing that may plague other brands as well: it comes folded up and there are still 2 spots where I need to take care the zip doesn't skip a tooth. That would probably cause zip damage in the long run and it means water could seep in there.

User Info Menu

Hi Pedro,
    If you're seriously looking for any gear, it's always helpful to let us know your budget; gig bags -- like everything else! -- can run from pennies to serious money, so what can you afford?? "Nevershould.." made a good list above (and he has a nice case available here, too!). If money were no object, though, I'd get a leather Cronkhite!

Happy hunting!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    f money were no object, though, I'd get a leather Cronkhite!
    Marc, I almost always agree with you - but on this, I don’t. I’ve always loved leather gig bags and have come very close to ordering a Probag many times. They’re cool, luxurious, and well made. But the bass player in my jazz trio (a colleague for decades) has a Probag that went well beyond the patina of use after 10 or so years. The trim was torn, the big pocket was ragged, and the leather looked like an old pizza. He finally sent it back for R&R and it cost him $350 for a new zipper, some leather conditioning, and a new outside pocket. It’s not waterproof and it has no reinforcement or serious neck support.

A Mono Vertigo is a third the cost of a good leather gig bag, provides far more protection, and will last far longer. It might not be as cool, but my guitars don’t care about coolness.

User Info Menu

I'm w Marc but we've always agreed on this. I've had my Crokhite leather bags for 15 yrs and they look fine. Imo, scratches and wear on gear add character. I cant speak to other manufacturers but Glenn's bags have never failed me and w a little leather conditioner should last decades. My drummer still has his leather Reunion Blues (Glenn's 1st company) cymbal and stick bags and they look great after 50 yrs.
    I'm not into minty equipment unless it's my shoes. If I'm carrying around a 10K L-5 a couple hundred extra for its protection is well worth it imo. Not everything comes down to saving a few bucks buy ymmv....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Marc, I almost always agree with you - but on this, I don’t. I’ve always loved leather gig bags and have come very close to ordering a Probag many times. They’re cool, luxurious, and well made. But the bass player in my jazz trio (a colleague for decades) has a Probag that went well beyond the patina of use after 10 or so years. The trim was torn, the big pocket was ragged, and the leather looked like an old pizza. He finally sent it back for R&R and it cost him $350 for a new zipper, some leather conditioning, and a new outside pocket. It’s not waterproof and it has no reinforcement or serious neck support.

A Mono Vertigo is a third the cost of a good leather gig bag, provides far more protection, and will last far longer. It might not be as cool, but my guitars don’t care about coolness.
    Thanks!

Now hold on, if we're talking about "Probag vs Cronkhite," that's a whole other discussion! [I've owned both, and there IS a difference!]

FWIW, my latest gig bag purchase was a Mono Vertigo for my 16" Holst -- cool guitar, and cool gig bag! [and my guitars do care about lookin' cool!]

M

User Info Menu

btw, the Probags leather isn't even close to the quality of RB or GC's bags. You normally get what you pay for...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I'm w Marc but we've always agreed on this. I've had my Crokhite leather bags for 15 yrs and they look fine. Imo, scratches and wear on gear add character. I cant speak to other manufacturers but Glenn's bags have never failed me and w a little leather conditioner should last decades. My drummer still has his leather Reunion Blues (Glenn's 1st company) cymbal and stick bags and they look great after 50 yrs.
    I'm not into minty equipment unless it's my shoes. If I'm carrying around a 10K L-5 a couple hundred extra for its protection is well worth it imo. Not everything comes down to saving a few bucks buy ymmv....
    I have no problem with patina - I’d still love to have a Cronkhite or an original RB. But there’s no reinforcement in them. I just don’t think they come close to the physical protection of the top modern bags against major trauma. I’ve been rear-ended twice on the way to gigs with my gear in the trunk - it’s a jungle out there.

The molded rubber sole around the bottom end of the Vertigo and the end pin cradle on the inside are great protection against damage from a drop on the end or into a puddle or snowbank. The neck cradle provides 360 degree support from the first few frets for serious protection against neck and headstock breaks. It’s a much stronger bag. And the Gator Icon’s even tougher - but it’s huge.

I agree that the cost of protection is well worth it. And I love leather gig bags. But I really don't think the best Cronkhite bag offers the protection of a Mono or Icon. With their 25% off deal for new customers, a bag from Glenn is a bit under $600. If I thought it came close to the Vertigo, I’d have bought one. I may buy one anyway - but I’ll still use the Vertigo to get to most gigs.

User Info Menu

Agree the support might not be as good in an older leather bag (though I've seen some modern leathers that have pretty decent support) But even w out the support I've worked gigs where a drummer threw their hard cases on top of my bag w my L-5 inside on a table, or a heavy amp tipped over on it w no damage. Leathers aren't probably the ideal choice for protection but Glenn's cases are very heavy leather and will stand up to a blow pretty well in most instances w a guitar inside. But they do weigh as much if not more than a hardcase (if weight is an issue)
    My Cronkhite bags were $325 shipped new, but once Glenn sold the company the new owners doubled the price.
    I'd still probably pay it, but the 2 bags I have will certainly outlive my gigging days and I don't see changing guitars before then.

Small aside, when my bandleader the great saxophonist Sam Reed was about to turn 80 I got the other 2 members of our longtime quartet to chip in for a Cronkhite leather for his tenor. I knew he always admired his friend the great tenor Bootsie Barnes' old Reunion bag and my Cronkhite and he was using an old clunky Selmer case that was almost as big and heavy as him. Sam gave us so many gigs over the years I thought it was the least we could do.. We distracted him on our weekly Sun gig and put it on his stool between sets as a surprise. He loved it so much he had me order one for his alto. Sadly he only was able to use them for 5 yrs but I could tell he felt a little more important walking onto a gig w his horn in that bag.

User Info Menu

An amp fell on your guitar in its bag??? I can feel the angst as you opened it! And that’s one more reason to go class D I’m glad no damage was done, but that’s pure luck - and trusting your luck is not a very good plan.

Nevertheless, I’d love to get a Cronkhite leather bag for my 17” Eastman. I haven’t gigged with it, but I’m planning to go back to solo dates and would use it for that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    An amp fell on your guitar in its bag??? I can feel the angst as you opened it! And that’s one more reason to go class D
    I'd say class A - for acoustic

Here's another name that cannot be ignored in a thread like this: BAM. There cases aren't really that soft (and I think they also have hard cases), but very lightweight (and bulky). Many of my Dutch former violin colleagues used their foam cases and never hesitated to schlep them around on bicycle. I had one of their double-violin cases which I also biked with. I did add some thin aluminium sheets between the foam and outer cover though, over the instrument bodies, in order to increase puncture protection. I sold the case without loss more than 20y later.

User Info Menu

I ordered a Gator (i like/already have the transit line) next line up that looks like it will fit given the measurements I took on the 16”. Thanks for the insights on this!

User Info Menu

Go for one of them styrofoam softcases. SKB, Gator, Ibanez... lots of brands. Much cheaper than Mono and all leather bags and they offer better protection imho.

They have all the benefits of a gigbag (lightweight, backpack straps, storage for cables, ipads, fx-pedals and realbooks) while offering allmost the same protection as a hard case. A dreadnought model will fit a 16" archtop.

I happily take my 1950 Gibson ES-125 in one of those to gigs and jamsessions without fear for damage.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Go for one of them styrofoam softcases. SKB, Gator, Ibanez... lots of brands. Much cheaper than Mono and all leather bags and they offer better protection imho. They have all the benefits of a gigbag (lightweight, backpack straps, storage for cables, ipads, fx-pedals and realbooks) while offering allmost the same protection as a hard case.
    I trust and value your opinion, LJ - your input has always been very helpful and enjoyable. But on this, I respectfully disagree - and so do others. EPS foam is nowhere near as protective against major trauma as the reinforcing materials in the top line gig bags. Here’s a quote from a review of the Gator GL bag from thisisclassicalguitar.com :

Gator Lightweight Classical Guitar Case (GL-Classic)
    Made with EPS Foam and nylon covering. Weights around 5.5 pounds. Great gig case as it’s between a soft gig bag and a hard case and super affordable. Just don’t expect too much protection and don’t use it for any risky situations. The good: it’s super light, inexpensive, and protects better than a bag-style case. The bad: It falls over when you take the guitar out, the backpack straps are cheap and might break, no ‘real’ padding, not good for high risk situations, does not fit all classical guitars (be careful).
    Overall: I like using it because I walk everywhere and it’s super light. Not bulky, won’t break other people’s kneecaps on the bus. You might get on a plane with it as it seems soft but do not check it (for crying out loud)! Quality is ‘meh’ but nice low price.”

I think the quality is better than “meh”, but assembly and materials on these $150 bags (list price in dreadnought size) aren’t up to those of Mono, Cronkhite, etc or of the top lines from Gator et al. The simple webbing handle is nowhere near as comfortable to carry as the thick, padded one on Monos, for example.

Worse, the impact resistance and crush strength of an inch or less of foam is not very high. Anyone who’s ever used a styrofoam cooler knows this - I’ve snapped the tops in half on a few just loading or carrying them in the back of the car with anything on top of them. If someone had knocked a Twin over onto a foam case containing Wintermoon’s L-5, , he’d still be mourning it.

Having said that, I’d gladly use a Gator GL for careful, casual, low risk carrying. But I think the added protection and durability of a Mono or other top line bag are easily worth another $100 to me. I’ve seen too many cased guitars dropped, tipped over, caught in closing car / bus / subway doors or tailgates, kicked / stepped on / dropped on when left on driveways and sidewalks, knocked off the keyboards / tables / stools etc on which they were foolishly left “for just a few seconds” etc. Watch a car drive over a Gator Icon with a guitar in it in the video on their site. Watch one being abused beyond anything most of us will ever do to our cased guitars, starting at 2:45 in this video:

This level of protection is worth the cost to me, and no foam-based bag can provide it. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

User Info Menu

The Reunion Blues RBX small acoustic is great for a 16' archtop, I use one for my Taylor 512 and Elferink tonemaster

User Info Menu

Everyone has to decide where to compromise. How much risk of damage, how precious is the guitar, how much is an acceptable price, how much weight is acceptable, etc. A Calton flight case is great for preventing damage, but the cost and weight make it unacceptable for many. A foam case is light and inexpensive, but likely won't survive a trip through a trip as checked airline baggage. It all depends on the use case and the cost. A Calton probably isn't necessary for a quick trip to a friend's house a few blocks away. A cheap gig bag isn't enough for checking on a plane. What works for one person won't work for another. Horses for courses, and all that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    The Reunion Blues RBX small acoustic is great for a 16' archtop, I use one for my Taylor 512 and Elferink tonemaster
    Me too. I prefer the RBX above the Mono, which I also have. For my classical guitar I use a Ritter gigbag, an old one before the original company was sold. New ones are not the same. If I needed a leather one I would go for a Harvest bag from Germany. BAM in France also makes great gigbags and cases. Thomann sells them.

User Info Menu

Go for one of them styrofoam softcases. SKB, Gator, Ibanez... lots of brands. Much cheaper than Mono and all leather bags and they offer better protection imho.

They have all the benefits of a gigbag (lightweight, backpack straps, storage for cables, ipads, fx-pedals and realbooks) while offering allmost the same protection as a hard case. A dreadnought model will fit a 16" archtop.
    I've been using one of those (made by gator) for my eastman for several years. I've also been gigging a lot with it. It's fallen over several times, and has been in the back of many vans, even with other Equipment stacked on top, and my guitar hasn't taken any damage (yet?).
    So far I feel quite save, but these are just my two Cents.

User Info Menu

If you want to go really cheap , but really good

Thomann Acoustic-Steel Gigbag Premium – Thomann UK

I love mine

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu

I love mine
    Wow! I just looked at it - it's $35 USD, which is absolutely amazing if it's even 10% as fine as it looks. It's apparently not reinforced at all, but neither are most of those in the $100 USD range from other makers. My only concern is the "leatherette" with which it's covered. I've had briefcases, carry bags, furniture etc covered with plastic leather over the years, and it's never lasted very long without ripping. But for casual carrying, that looks like a great choice.

User Info Menu

'Leatherette' isn't the most tasteful material, but it's relatively robust, and waterproof except for the seams and other openings. I would expect that bag to be good enough for casual transport, maybe better than some, and for the price you can replace it many times as it wears out before you reach the cost of most of the more expensive bags. Maybe there's something similar available here in the US, but I haven't seen it, mostly because I haven't looked. I don't really need another gig bag, but if I did, I would consider something like this, even at a somewhat higher price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu

I love mine
    I have that bag for strat/tele and it’s really good, heavier and a bit bulkier than most bags. The leatherette material feels very sturdy.

But for an acoustic or an archtop I would want something stiffer. This Harley Benton seems great for the price:

Harley Benton LightCase-Dreadnought – Thomann UK
    Last edited by Little Jay; 02-03-2023 at 10:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ElPedro
    So i have a hard shell case already…. What brand/ models are out there that people seem to like besides Mono, Gator and Reunion Blues ? Thanks!
    I saw someone ask about your budget for the bag but didn't see a reply. If you're looking to spend top $ for a beautiful leather gig bag then check out this post in the Forum "For Sale" thread Calling All Archtop Jazz Guitarists! It Sucks Getting Old.... Professor Bob has a top qualify Benedetto soft leather gig bag for sale. I saw it in person last week and it's everything you could want: the finest leather, looks great and provides great padding to protect your guitar.

User Info Menu

I have that bag for strat/tele and it’s really good, heavier and a bit bulkier than most bags. The leatherette material feels very sturdy.

But for an acoustic or an archtop I would want something stiffer. This Harley Benton seems great for the price:

Harley Benton LightCase-Dreadnought – Thomann UK
    Yes it's not structurally stiff ....
    As to wear , I've had mine for maybe 8 years
    And it's still going great ....

A bargain