The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 80
    Ordered the Ebony bridge/saddle from Luthiers.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Interesting hat it sounds so much better considering that except for the L4, they a similar instruments. I would think the L4 would sound better..

That ebony bridge can be ordered with gold hardware, since the rest of your hardware is gold

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieHollow
    That ebony bridge can be ordered with gold hardware, since the rest of your hardware is gold
    thanks Archie Hollow, I did order the bridge with gold hardware. Thanks! And thanks again to everyone’s help.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Interesting hat it sounds so much better considering that except for the L4, they a similar instruments. I would think the L4 would sound better..
    hi woody sound, if you are referring to my chance to try four guitars all in one sitting, it was clear to me that the 165 sounded sweeter and more musical than the other guitars. My wife who is also a musician, she’s an orchestra conductor, was also in agreement that the 165 was the guitar she liked. It wasn’t even a close decision. I came there ready to try and buy the 175…it just shows how important trying an instrument before you buy is. I guess I tried over 25 guitars during my two year search. Last night I was playing it unamplified while watching football and she made a comment about how good it sounds.
    Dave

Oh I didn’t mention that he had a really great sounding amp to use for trial- mesa boogie California Tweed.

User Info Menu

Gorgeous guitar, congratulations!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Very classy color. I agree with the guitar looking better without the pic guard.
    Agreed. But I cannot possibly play without a fingerrest. My right fingers end up curling under the strings.

User Info Menu

Here are my Gibsons. Love 'em to death!Gibson ES-165 - I’m in Love-img_2323-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Here are my Gibsons. Love 'em to death!Gibson ES-165 - I’m in Love-img_2323-jpg
    Beautiful guitars Lammie200

Here’s some more compositional inspiration from my es 165

User Info Menu

The red really suits that guitar beautifully, it should be more common.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jetrexpro
    hi woody sound, if you are referring to my chance to try four guitars all in one sitting, it was clear to me that the 165 sounded sweeter and more musical than the other guitars. My wife who is also a musician, she’s an orchestra conductor, was also in agreement that the 165 was the guitar she liked. It wasn’t even a close decision. I came there ready to try and buy the 175…it just shows how important trying an instrument before you buy is. I guess I tried over 25 guitars during my two year search. Last night I was playing it unamplified while watching football and she made a comment about how good it sounds.
    Dave
    Maybe I wasn't clear. I was referring to the fact that the L4 has a solid carved top.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Maybe I wasn't clear. I was referring to the fact that the L4 has a solid carved top.
    I was thinking that’s what you meant.
    the 165 had a sweetness and lively sound that I didn’t hear in the L4. I’m sure another player could pick up those guitars and feel totally differently from me.

User Info Menu

$3100. Probably a bit too much. The seller had me right where he wanted since he knew how much I liked it. Actually it was a very enjoyable morning. We had a great time trying guitars and he was very nice so spending that much wasn’t the worst thing. His time is worth something too.

dave
    Let's say you play it 30 years. That's about a quarter a day. Then you can sell it and get your money back. Sounds like a very good deal.

User Info Menu

It's beautiful guitar and congratulations. Is there any difference between this and an ES 175 besides the single pickup?
    I feel the same about my L4CES. It's an extension of myself. Effortless, perfect feel and sound, the look etc. While I have several others that I enjoy, my L4 isn't a compromise in any way.

Gibson ES-165 - I’m in Love-ll-jpg

Sleeko, looks like your L4 and my 165 are about the same color. Don’t know for sure but I think the only difference between the 175 and the 165 is the pick up. Beautiful guitar you have there so happy that it makes music with you.

User Info Menu

Sleeko, looks like your L4 and my 165 are about the same color. Don’t know for sure but I think the only difference between the 175 and the 165 is the pick up. Beautiful guitar you have there so happy that it makes music with you.
    Appreciate it and thank you. When you were describing yours, I was saying to myself yup. I enjoyed your compositions and playing. You have lucky neighbors indeed.

Tried the Ebony bridge for a few days and put back on the tuneomatic. This guitar has a vibe just as it is and putting on the Ebony lost some of that vibe. It’s a special sassiness in the high frequencies that this guitar has. Can’t loose that. Fun to try though…
    Last edited by Jetrexpro; 01-30-2023 at 12:36 AM.

Here’s a piece I just wrote that showcases the diversity of my 165. Some of the rich low end and the sweat highs. This is not really a jazz piece.

User Info Menu

Congratulations, the guitar is very beautiful.

Thanks. It’s still a joy to play everyday

User Info Menu

In the early 1990s a friend had a red ES-165 that he did not use much. I wanted to buy it from him to go with my other red guitars but he did not want to sell. Many years later I went on a quest for a red ES-165 but found out the ES-175 was nearly the same price. So I wound up getting a ES-175 instead.

One thing I miss on my 2007 ES-175 is the traditional ES-175 tailpiece that your guitar has.

Gibson ES-165 - I’m in Love-es175-jpg

Hi ICR,
    Some beautiful red Gibsons you have! Sure would be nice if you found a red 165. I was so taken with the sound and the playability of my 165 I would have bought it no matter what condition or color it was.The red color has grown on me over the past few months. Between the color and the sound it’s easy to love.
    do I see an es135 lurking about?
    Last edited by Jetrexpro; 03-12-2023 at 11:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KingKong
    Looks like you've got a decent rug also.

A man needs a nice rug to sit and play his guitar on.
    It really ties the room together.