The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 80

User Info Menu

That’s a beautiful guitar - congratulations!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Easy2grasp, lovely Black 92. Could you describe what the classic 57 pickup did for the sound?
    thanks Dave

User Info Menu

If this is what yours sounds like, I wouldn't be changing pickups. And I realize some of the tone we hear is due to the amp, the microphone, DAW, etc. But still,...

Recorded this a few hours ago. My wife walks thru and makes a comment.

Quote Originally Posted by va3ux
    If this is what yours sounds like, I wouldn't be changing pickups. And I realize some of the tone we hear is due to the amp, the microphone, DAW, etc. But still,...

he’s really great and a wealth of knowledge. I watched a ton of his videos when I was guitar hunting

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jetrexpro
    Lawson Stone could you describe what the Seth Lover did for the sound?
    I'm not very good at this. I always found the installed pickup a little on the harsh side. The SDSL is very warm and transparent. I know that's vague, but while I liked the original pickup a lot and could have stayed with it, the Seth was just sitting in a box and I decided to try it. Maybe it's how the pickup sounds when I'm playing it? Maybe the range or whatever fits my touch and style better? It might be that the Seth is un-potted and the original was potted, so maybe I'm picking up on the microphonics of the pickup.

At any rate, I do like it better. Whether I'd go out and BUY the SDSL just to install in this guitar is hard to say since the original was actually quite good.

Thanks very much for the description of the Seth Lover!

User Info Menu

Good choice, jetrexpro. Here's my red (lefty) '92 with Herb's signature already added to the headstock. The pick guard later came loose on a flight and I haven't got around to refitting it.

Gibson ES-165 - I’m in Love-165-jpeg

Hi PBM, looks like you are having a blast, thanks for reaching out!
    Dave

User Info Menu

Sounds fantastic. Thanks for sharing and enjoy making music with it!

User Info Menu

Congrats on the 165, may she inspire your playing for many years to come! I think the L-4CES bridge base looks great on your guitar. If it were mine, I would keep the stock 490R pickup, as every 165 that I have played with those pickups was a superb sounding guitar. I would try an Ebony bridge saddle if I were you. I think you will be surprised at how much "woodyness" that brings to the table. And with that color and the L-4CES Bridge base, a Tortoise L-4 pickguard would complete the package.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Congrats on the 165, may she inspire your playing for many years to come! I think the L-4CES bridge base looks great on your guitar. If it were mine, I would keep the stock 490R pickup, as every 165 that I have played with those pickups was a superb sounding guitar. I would try an Ebony bridge saddle if I were you. I think you will be surprised at how much "woodyness" that brings to the table. And with that color and the L-4CES Bridge base, a Tortoise L-4 pickguard would complete the package.
    Agreed on the 490. I have replaced a 490r with a '57 classic in a 335 guitar and the difference was negligible, not enough to make it worth the time and money. Depending on the amp and player's technique the 490r might be the superior pickup. It has a great "air" to it.

thanks for those suggestions Stringswinger. I was also thinking of the Ebony bridge at some point. Seems like an easy thing to try and keep both of them. I’ll look,at the tortoise pick guard too. At this point I’m liking it with no pickguard
    Thanks again for everyone’s contributions. Lots o fun
    dave

Thank you all for the pick up suggestions too. I am loving the sound right now so no pick up changes for the time being. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it

User Info Menu

Congrats!

The 165's/175's are all the guitar a jazz guy needs, let's be honest.

I like your playing as well. I was listening to Bright Size Life this morning, and thinking how much I liked early Metheny's tone with his 175. Your tone sounds similar.

User Info Menu

Yes, you beat me to it, I would definitely try an ebony saddle.

User Info Menu

Apart from the appointments and fittings , pus etc etc

Is an es165 from the same year
    the same as a one pickup es175 ?

or are they a lighter build , with different woods etc ?

User Info Menu

in 1994 I wasn't even in the market for a guitar when I bought my Herb.

Saw it hanging - beautiful, felt fine, sounded good acoustically and better plugged in.

My first hollow body. A real sturdy workhorse.

I’m going to buy an ebony saddle after all of your prodding ).
    Seeing at StewMac for around $40.

thanks, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Congrats!

The 165's/175's are all the guitar a jazz guy needs, let's be honest.

I like your playing as well. I was listening to Bright Size Life this morning, and thinking how much I liked early Metheny's tone with his 175. Your tone sounds similar.
    thanks Dr Jeff. I like Bright Sized Life. Lots of crazy modulations all over that record with jaco.

im 60% composer and 40% player. I really appreciate an instrument that while I’m playing it helps me in that moment of inspired composition. This 165 is one of the very few guitars that I’ve played does this. This guitar sounds and feels so good that it’s a compositional partner. I’ve had so many cool ideas since buying it that I keep my iPhone close by so I can record the ideas I want to work with later.

User Info Menu

Easy2grasp, lovely Black 92. Could you describe what the classic 57 pickup did for the sound?
    thanks Dave
    With the Classic '57 it sounded slightly brighter. To my ears the 490 has muted brightness. I can't say it was a vast improvement, though. If I still had it, I would try a Throbak 101 SLE 101+, or find a Peter Florence VooDoo '59 pickup. I have those as replacement PAF's in a couple of my late 50's ES-175's and they sound great, although the ES-165 is a slightly more heavy build than those guitars.

I’ve been searching for the ebony saddle and not finding it. On stew Mac it’s a different size. Please help, thank you

User Info Menu

I’ve been searching for the ebony saddle and not finding it. On stew Mac it’s a different size. Please help, thank you
    If you have a good luthier at your location, ask them to make you one. If he/she is a really good luthier, you can give them a new set of the strings you use and they can compensate the wooden bridge so the intonation isn't subject to the usual shortcomings of an uncompensated saddle.
    You will only need to do this once so IMHO it'd be worth the effort.

This ad gives dimensions. Compare to your guitar's stock bride

Gibson ES-165 - I’m in Love-screenshot_20230121-0800362-pngGibson ES-165 - I’m in Love-screenshot_20230121-0800142-pngGibson ES-165 - I’m in Love-screenshot_20230121-0801002-png

Thanks Archie Hollow, this bridge looks perfect.