The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

New release. Not for me but there may be some interest.

Roland announce 50th anniversary limited edition JC-120 amp

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    New release. Not for me but there may be some interest.

Roland announce 50th anniversary limited edition JC-120 amp

I remember when you could get a JC 120 for like $500. And they'd even help lift it into your trunk.

User Info Menu

Once I got over my infatuation with the stereo chorus effect there really wasn’t much else to love. I sold it for $300 and was glad to get rid of it. And, no, I didn’t help him schlep it into his trunk.

User Info Menu

Some folks sound great through it. Others don’t. Either way it’s a classic jazz amp. Personally I prefer tubes but I do have its smallest sibling, the JC22. I never use the chorus but I like its transparency, reliability and portability. It’s a happening little amp. Oh, and $1900 for the anniversary model? Pass.

User Info Menu

Someone once described JC cleans as the feeling you get when rubbing alcohol is evaporating off your skin.

Variety is good, but my favourite cleans are warmer.

User Info Menu

2k$ for a SS amp, that weighs as much as a tube amp, but doesn't sound like ?
    I kind of understand why they issue that as a limited series of 350, no chance they ever sell more !

User Info Menu

Wow...50 years??? I'm old LOL

User Info Menu

These are common backline amps here, and this edition appears to be the same with fancy decor, so a heavy pass.

User Info Menu

I had a JC-60 for years. I liked the cleans, hated the hiss. And unlike the JC-120 and other models, it only had one speaker, so I'm not sure how much spread I got from the chorus. I mostly ran it stereo with a Mesa Boogie .22 Caliber, which was a great little tube amp. Together, I could get most of what I wanted. But both are long gone now. It did have its place if you can have multiple amps or run the right pedals, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzPadd
    These are common backline amps here...
    JazzPadd: I'm in
    Hamamatsu for a while and totally agree: I see them all the time in this town. (Roland has a big R&D facility here. And perhaps oddly, I see a lot of Orange amps for the rockers.)
    Last edited by Flat; 12-10-2022 at 01:23 AM.

User Info Menu

There are many vids of Martino using one live. Never sounded better.

User Info Menu

The 2x10" model JC-40 came out on the 40th anniversary, I believe. I tried one and liked it. All the JC power I'd need.

If you really want a 120, there are lots of them available used. This new special model is for the real fanbois

User Info Menu

I have a JC-55 and a Little Jazz in my band room. Sometimes I use them together. But, mostly I use the LJ. It sounds warmer.

If I need a lot of volume or there's an issue with sound dispersion, I may bring both, but, even in big band situations, I'm mostly playing the LJ.

I don't have to be as loud as 15 horns. I just have to be a little bit less loud than the piano. Or, when there's no piano, around the volume level of the bass or a little less.

User Info Menu

'The amp was originally released in 1975...'

Why celebrate so early? Roland's confidence in the future of jazz back then was admirable, but do they not expect it to last three more years?