The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Jason are you using double ball, or did you convert to ‘normal’?

Steinberger String Adapters Headpiece - Headless Hohner Cort - Bass or Guitar | eBay
    Good question....I almost forgot about that as I've had them both for several years. I bought adapters (different than the link you shared...it supports both double and single ball... STEINBERGER - JCustom Guitar Combo Headpiece - HeadlessUSA ) for both of them so I could put on 12 gauge flat wounds and they work great.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    The original travel guitar

Erlewine Guitars | Chiquita Travel Guitar

I bought one over 30 years ago; sold it about 10 years ago wish I wish still had it. Decent sounding humbucker with a coil tap. Some intonation issues especially on the low E up the neck.

I’ve been using a Rainsong parlor guitar 12 fret. Fits in the overhead no problem. Not silent though.

I’ve brought a Yamaha GL1 guitalele on trips which helps scratch the itch but obviously not
    the same as practicing on a real guitar.

The Washburn Rover is surprisingly playable and not too loud but it is acoustic.

Amazon.com
    I had a Rover. I wouldn’t recommend it. Neither fish nor fowl. It is not well balanced so requires playing with a strap. Thin sound.

If you are going to go for a flattop acoustic with a full-size neck for travel, the Voyage Air is the way to go, IMO.

User Info Menu

I just ordered and received the Traveler Ultra Light Acoustic. Currently $299 at Sweetwater. Came out of the box in tune. Feels and plays great and makes enough of a sound unplugged to serve its purpose. I can hear it yet not loud in a hotel room or a balcony. It can be plugged in but I have not even tried that yet.

I’ve had several travel guitars but this fits the bill perfectly. A lightweight small instrument with a full sized fingerboard. Fits in an overhead bin or even under the seat. Nice little padded case.

Scratches the the itch when away on short trips.

It’s not for gigging or playing with others unless they have the same axe or you have an amp.

User Info Menu

I bought a Hofner Shorty as a travel instrument.

• inexpensive, I bought it used for €80 with a travel bag
    • travels well on airplanes
    • full scale length
    • bridge pickup actually sounds great for distortion
    • i put on a floating jazz pickup for the neck tones. Replaced the tone knob with a 3-way switch
    • it required a complete fret leveling. It was awful before.
    • requires a strap and i had to get used to the way it hangs.
    • cheap enough that I don't care if it gets banged up

I thought about the cheap telecaster with a removable neck, but one can't take screwdrivers on airplanes. The Shorty isn't the greatest guitar, but the best guitar is the guitar you have with you.

User Info Menu

If you can get a Hohner/Steinberger type headless guitar, there's a guitar lift made by Performaxe in Italy. It attaches to an electric guitar, and on a Steinberger, it raises the guitar to the height of a Klein guitar, which is a pretty comfortable geometry for me.

User Info Menu

My recomendation Zaletelj Amelia. Check it.