The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

Hey folks. Sorry if this has been covered. I’m about to do some serious vacationing and won’t be bringing a guitar. I need something small I can take as a carry on. Quiet. I don’t want anything acoustic. Electric so I won’t bother anyone. I’ve had a few but the body of the guitar, where I rest my right picking arm, is always awkward. I’ve seen some that you can assemble. Any suggestions? It’s just for practice. I won’t be performing for anyone on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Probably not what you're looking for, but I have this guitar on order (just waiting on a case), AJL-Guitars | Quiet and portable. I only play the Gypsy stuff, and wanted a guitar that I could take on a plane and practice in a hotel without bothering anyone. Hope to have it this month!

User Info Menu

Hi Henry.

If you want a real guitar, the Voyage Air travel guitar is, IMHO, the way to go. I have the solid-top acoustic OM guitar, which of course is acoustic and not silent (though I do have a pickup for it). I have taken my to Hawaii and Jamaica, in fact as my only luggage. I literally packed all my clothes around the guitar--put socks and shorts in the soundhole. It will even fit under the seat in a pinch.

OM-Style guitar that folds in half for easy travel in a backpack VAOM-04G2

They also make an electric model. Not super cheap, but they are real, full size guitars. No compromises.

TransAxe Series are compact electrics, stored in the included backpack case, the size of a laptop, gives up nothing in tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JSanta
    Probably not what you're looking for, but I have this guitar on order (just waiting on a case), AJL-Guitars | Quiet and portable. I only play the Gypsy stuff, and wanted a guitar that I could take on a plane and practice in a hotel without bothering anyone. Hope to have it this month!
    That's beautiful and looks like what I'm talking about! Wow. But do they build it from scratch? How come it takes so long to get it? It's more than a month so now would be a good time to order it. LOL. Thank you. Still searching.

User Info Menu

Oops. I didn't look at the prices first! LOL. It's a little a lot for a travel guitar I think! LOL. I'm just practicing on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Hi Henry.

If you want a real guitar, the Voyage Air travel guitar is, IMHO, the way to go. I have the solid-top acoustic OM guitar, which of course is acoustic and not silent (though I do have a pickup for it). I have taken my to Hawaii and Jamaica, in fact as my only luggage. I literally packed all my clothes around the guitar--put socks and shorts in the soundhole. It will even fit under the seat in a pinch.

OM-Style guitar that folds in half for easy travel in a backpack VAOM-04G2

They also make an electric model. Not super cheap, but they are real, full size guitars. No compromises.

TransAxe Series are compact electrics, stored in the included backpack case, the size of a laptop, gives up nothing in tone.
    Cool! Nice. Checking it out! Thank you Jeff.

User Info Menu

I have a Cort Steinberger copy from the 80's and a Rockman that works as a little practice rig (although I could/should probably find a phone app to replace the Rockman). The double ball strings are kind of a pain, maybe there's an adapter to use regular ones but I never seem to get around to research. It doesn't bother my right arm, but you need a strap for sure

PK

User Info Menu

Henry
    Theres a new really nice alternative to the Cort. Back in my consulting days (I.e. travel travel - 1985) I looked for something portable but not so expensive I had to worry about it. I found a Cort copy of a Steinberger, fit into overheads easily. Balancing on a leg is a joke but a strap cures. The Cort copies were abysmal. Baseball bat neck, shrill pickups, and only double ball end strings.IMHO.
    Gibson now owns Steinberger, and has this Asian build at a good price. It’s a very different beast, the neck is similar to a Les Paul 60’s and is quite playable. The stock pickups are OK. But… I put in Fralin Modern PAFs, and on eBay there’s a brass replacement nut that lets you use regular strings. So I have the TI flats on it.
    (I got it as I’m looking at three months in hospital sometime in the next six months.)
    I picked mine up used for 290, new discounted to 399.
    YMMV, all that jazz.
    Jk

User Info Menu

Steinberger Spirit is what I take with me when I travel. It is built like a tank, sounds decent and costs only $400. I liked it so much I bought a second one as a backup.

User Info Menu

Henry, check out the Danny Gatton tip that Julian Lage uses. It involves taking the neck off of a tele. He just customized the tele by putting metel screw inserts in the neck.

Julian Lage shares pro tip for traveling with a Telecaster – remove the neck completely | Guitar World

User Info Menu

Jason are you using double ball, or did you convert to ‘normal’?

Steinberger String Adapters Headpiece - Headless Hohner Cort - Bass or Guitar | eBay

User Info Menu

Used Soloette!

User Info Menu

Great choice for a finger picker/classical player, but way too expensive. I went with the Aria copy)))

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    Oops. I didn't look at the prices first! LOL. It's a little a lot for a travel guitar I think! LOL. I'm just practicing on it.
    He does build them from scratch, and usually just a couple of months wait. I have been waiting a bit longer because the case manufacturer unfortunately passed away quite suddenly.

Totally a practice guitar for me when I'm on the road for work or fun, but to have something that feels like a Gypsy guitar from a great builder was worth the cost to me. It does have the added benefit of being able to plug in directly with the Big Tone piezo, or use my Stimer pickup if I find myself in a jamming situation.

Good luck on your search!

User Info Menu

Steinberger Spirit for me also. I've had one for years, use it for lessons and some theatre gigs. Problem free, and it's violin size, you can easily take it everywhere.

Steinberger Guitars GT-Pro Deluxe BK – Thomann

User Info Menu

Perhaps a Squier Tele would serve. Maybe have metal inserts put into the neck bolt holes and use machine screws to hold the neck in place and to make removal/reattachment easier. Remove the neck before travel.

User Info Menu

Dropped some better pickups in a Steinberger Spirit years ago, works well. Still have to put on the adapter I purchased, to be able to use standard strings (the stock double ball, if you can still get them, are only 9's or 10's).

Also have a Yamaha Silent in nylon.... The onboard pre-amp is handy, but doesn't sound nearly as good as a Godin, but it's a good guitar to practice your technique, classical neck, flat radius, action is a little high, but still a good workout while on vacation. Decent headphone amp sounds better than the onboard electronics, but definitely doable.

Listen to what Leo Amuedo can do with one!

User Info Menu

PM sent.

User Info Menu

I have a Hohner Steinberger Spirit copy I got used and I'm very happy with it
    Nothing to add to what has already been said about the Steinberger
    Except double ball strings are also available in 11's from d'Addario :
    Daddario ESXL110 – Thomann France
    and I have the adapter but still have to install it

Edit : Sorry the link leads to a 10's set of strings. I can't find the 11's anymore on sale but it used to be availble : I still have one set (from d'Addario)

2nd edit : Sorry again, not d'Addario, but La Bella STP11, but they seem to be discontinued now.
    But I found some 11's and even 12's in Germany (Optima strings)
    4028.R.DB E-Gitarre CHROME STRINGS Satz regular, Double Ball | Optima - Strings Made in Germany
    Last edited by 339 in june; 12-08-2022 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Mistake in the link

User Info Menu

Don’t be afraid of the converter to non double ball strings…. Getting away from the limited selection is cool plus lets you use flats if you’re so inclined.
    Easy to install.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Don’t be afraid of the converter to non double ball strings…. Getting away from the limited selection is cool plus lets you use flats if you’re so inclined.
    Easy to install.
    I'm lazy!

User Info Menu

Haha so am I… couldnt get used to thin non flats

User Info Menu

Another option might be the Traveler guitar. It uses normal strings. I have taken it on many trips for hotel practice.

Traveler Guitar Escape Mark III (Mahogany) Full-Scale Acoustic Guitar

User Info Menu

Headless Guitars, Portable Electric Guitar

I have a Strobel Rambler which is a great travel guitar. It’s still a small space to rest your right arm but I love how compact it is and actually practice with it quite a lot at home because of the convenient size.

I put chromes on it so it takes normal strings and is Gibson scale length. The neck comes on and off easily using thumb screws and a string catcher if you want to make it really small and put it in luggage. It comes with a tenor uke case so is easy to carry on to a plane if you keep the neck connected.

This combined with the boss waza air is the ultimate hassle free compact practice rig ( no cables !)
    The stock humbuckers are pretty decent. I purchased it for 400$ used on reverb (about 5 years ago so the price might be more now but it’s not that much more expensive for a new one). Of course not a perfect guitar but really really good for the money and purpose.

User Info Menu

The original travel guitar

Erlewine Guitars | Chiquita Travel Guitar

I bought one over 30 years ago; sold it about 10 years ago wish I wish still had it. Decent sounding humbucker with a coil tap. Some intonation issues especially on the low E up the neck.

I’ve been using a Rainsong parlor guitar 12 fret. Fits in the overhead no problem. Not silent though.

I’ve brought a Yamaha GL1 guitalele on trips which helps scratch the itch but obviously not
    the same as practicing on a real guitar.

The Washburn Rover is surprisingly playable and not too loud but it is acoustic.

Amazon.com
    Last edited by alltunes; 12-09-2022 at 09:45 AM.