The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

These rather rare 350 variants from their introduction in the mid 50’s until the discontinuation not 10 years later have steadily increased in value but I never see them mentioned here nor in the hands of any (visible) player. The Byrdland - solid woods, more bling, same „concept“ - seems to be more popular but it’s also rarely seen on stage. Anthony Wilson uses one occasionally…. What’s your take on these guitars ? The ones I‘ve sampled were all good ….

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

i have played one for 10mins only acoustic in a shop

bit narrow at the nut but
    loved it ....

User Info Menu

Granted, the small neck is a dealbreaker for many players but I‘ve never had any problems with all these narrow 60‘s necks. As long as the right depth is there…

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    Granted, the small neck is a dealbreaker for many players but I‘ve never had any problems with all these narrow 60‘s necks. As long as the right depth is there…
    They're also a shorter scale length (23 1/2" vs 24 3/4" or 25 1/2"), which is likely the reason they were never as popular as the other models (and hence discussed less).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    They're also a shorter scale length (23 1/2" vs 24 3/4" or 25 1/2"), which is likely the reason they were never as popular as the other models (and hence discussed less).
    But you can go up a string gauge to get a fatter sound without more tension.

User Info Menu

I bought new one of the re releases in 1992.
    It was from the Gibson “sticky neck” period, so I would warn anyone off the reissues.
    Mine went back to Nashville three times under warranty. As you played the neck finish it actually got notable warm, then sticky! Really sticky. ( It’s a known problem Gibson publicly never owned up to, one of my reasons for going to Ibanez.) The third time they completely refinished it, and TBH I eBayed it with a ‘buyer beware’ warning. Lost half what I paid.
    Otherwise I REALLY liked the 350T playability and comfort. I prefer thin necks so no loss for me.
    good luck
    jk

User Info Menu

I had this one years ago:

Vintage Gibson ES-350T-6c323b89-4bd4-4722-be90-8e32d12e186b-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    But you can go up a string gauge to get a fatter sound without more tension.
    I suppose, but the neck will still be a different length, and the frets will still be spaced differently.

User Info Menu

I had a 57 Byrdland (PAFs) for a week, a 1956 ES 350T (p90s) for a year, and a 1958 ES 350T (PAFs) for a few months. Of the three, I'd say the Byrdland was undoubtedly the most special in sound. Really beautiful. The 58 ES 350T was very close. The 56 with p90s was a distant 3rd. The main reason I didn't bond with any of them ultimately was the scale length/neck carve. Also, the lower tension made it challenging to play the way I like--felt like the strings didn't give my right hand enough resistance compared to the acoustic archtops I'm accustomed to.

But seriously awesome sound.