The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I would like to hear any first hand experiences with carved Borys archtops. It seems his laminates are very popular and sound great. I haven't found much info about the carved instruments.

I wonder if they are carved and tuned in the D'Aquisto fashion.

Any insight or links to videos or reading would be appreciated.

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure a couple of folks here have played them. QAman Sgcim maybe. I have not but I'll give this a bump for you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarcarver
    I would like to hear any first hand experiences with carved Borys archtops. It seems his laminates are very popular and sound great. I haven't found much info about the carved instruments.

I wonder if they are carved and tuned in the D'Aquisto fashion.

Any insight or links to videos or reading would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Guitarcarver,
    I have played 3 carved Bory’s over the past few years. This was during visits to Rogers shop. The most recent carved guitar I played - is the blonde with the old DeArmond, which might still be available.

Here are my observations:

The arch on the top and back plate is higher than typically found on either a D’Angelico or D’Aquisto. The angle coming off bridge to tail pc is slightly steeper than a D’Aquisto, but more in line with a D’Angelico. Tonally the guitar was powerful, but in a refined manner. Very balance with a powerful b and high e string. I would characterize the sound as more on the D’Angelico side of things. When I played it - it felt on the tight side, but It was obviously not setup to my specs. The tap tuning was very good , very responsive top, and low frequency back, which imparts that great warmth with the top. The plates worked well together- and the bass was nice.

When I plugged it in - it was incredible ….fat and warm. If the guitar was set up to my specs during that visit , I may have come home with it, but instead came home with another B120.

Hope this gives a little insight …..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Borys carved archtops-borys-b420-big-red001-jpg

Borys carved archtops-borys-b420-thin-001-jpg

Roger built these carved guitars for me 30+ years ago. They were beautiful instruments but I haven't owned them in 23 years so I can't comment on particulars.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Danny,
    Thanks for sharing photo’s from your past collection. I’m always impressed by the countless examples of premier Archtops you’ve owned.

These Bory’s examples are fine work from Rogers earlier years of building. They rarely appear on the used market, and sell quickly when they do. I liked the earlier F hole shape - very unique.

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Guitarcarver,
    I have played 3 carved Bory’s over the past few years. This was during visits to Rogers shop. The most recent carved guitar I played - is the blonde with the old DeArmond, which might still be available.

Here are my observations:

The arch on the top and back plate is higher than typically found on either a D’Angelico or D’Aquisto. The angle coming off bridge to tail pc is slightly steeper than a D’Aquisto, but more in line with a D’Angelico. Tonally the guitar was powerful, but in a refined manner. Very balance with a powerful b and high e string. I would characterize the sound as more on the D’Angelico side of things. When I played it - it felt on the tight side, but It was obviously not setup to my specs. The tap tuning was very good , very responsive top, and low frequency back, which imparts that great warmth with the top. The plates worked well together- and the bass was nice.

When I plugged it in - it was incredible ….fat and warm. If the guitar was set up to my specs during that visit , I may have come home with it, but instead came home with another B120.

Hope this gives a little insight …..

Thank you. That was very insightful. "Fat and warm" are great attributes. I also like that the b and e strings were strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W.
    Borys carved archtops-borys-b420-big-red001-jpg

Borys carved archtops-borys-b420-thin-001-jpg

Roger built these carved guitars for me 30+ years ago. They were beautiful instruments but I haven't owned them in 23 years so I can't comment on particulars.

Danny W.
    Thanks Danny,

I should have known you had experience with these instruments. By the way, the vibrolux is played almost daily. I really love it...thanks again

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Danny, Thanks for sharing photo’s from your past collection. I’m always impressed by the countless examples of premier Archtops you’ve owned.
    I am lucky to have been able to own and play all those outstanding guitars over the years but the important point is that they are mostly photos of guitars I no longer own.

On the subject of the Borys carvedtops: as nice as they were, if I could pick two of Roger's guitars to own again I would not choose those, but instead the blonde B120 and custom B222 he made for me. The carved guitars competed in my collection with Citations, LeGrands, Super 400s, Super Vs, Smiths, Cremonas--I was not starved for choice of fine guitars with floaters. In contrast, the laminate and chambered guitars were unique in how good they were in their much-less-populous class, as well as being a better size for me in my much-more-advanced years.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarcarver
    Thanks Danny,

I should have known you had experience with these instruments. By the way, the vibrolux is played almost daily. I really love it...thanks again
    Thanks, I'll pass that on to my neighbors. I can't remember if I told you that the husband was thinking of replacing it with a Vox AC15. When I pointed out to him that it was the same size and weight of the Vibrolux he told me he wanted to have an amp "suitable for your talents" when I was over at their house and wanted to play. I assured him that I had no intention of coming over to their house to play, and that the Fender Champion 20 or 40 I had recommended (based on comments I'd seen here) would be perfectly fine as well as much smaller, lighter and cheaper. Sadly, they've both been having serious ongoing health issues and I don't know if they've done much guitar playing at all since then.

Danny W.
    Last edited by Danny W.; 12-08-2022 at 01:06 AM.