The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    That's what I'd do. The fact that it goes away when you use an external cabinet could mean a number of things. It could be a mechanical resonance in the combo cab itself, e.g. a loose screw, an extraneous piece of something that's fallen against the cone or frame, etc. It could also be a microphonic tube that's excited by the internal speaker but not an external one.

If you've never experienced this before, it could be instructive for you to tap the preamp tubes with a pencil or chopstick to see if they're micorphonic. But regardless of the cause and how easily it's fixed, a 3 day old amp should function perfectly. Unless you're far from an authorized dealer and you find a simple, easily fixable cause that you're comfortable handling, I'd ask for a replacement.
    I'd have to unscrew the back to get at the tubes and don't want to chance scratching it although I'm tempted to do the experiment!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woodstove
    I'd have to unscrew the back to get at the tubes and don't want to chance scratching it although I'm tempted to do the experiment!
    If you'd have to dismantle something to get to the tubes I also would say that's not worth to do. Send it back and ask for exchange of the amp.
    That's the safe way. Just my 2c.

User Info Menu

Unscrewing things to get to tubes is becoming part of life. Different countries have different directives in terms of protecting people from danger. I've seen plenty of combos with a wire cage around the tubes, but older designs of the same where you used to just reach in and grab. The uninitiated got their fingers burnt. Head units are the same. If your not confident though, just take it in to the store you bought it from.

And I wouldn't write off an amp based on the performance of a microphonic tube. Tube quality for any amp manufacturer is getting more hit and miss by the day. There's an old saying going around that if it lasted 3 weeks it should last 3 years without issue. For any appliance.

Curious- How is the output power managed? Is there still an output transformer or is the weight saving primarily in the use of a switch mode power supply and digital reverb? Or did they do some clever reactive load coupling between the output tubes and the speakers as well?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote61
    If you'd have to dismantle something to get to the tubes I also would say that's not worth to do. Send it back and ask for exchange of the amp.
    That's the safe way. Just my 2c.
    thanks bluenote, that’s exactly what I’m gonna do. I’m hoping that this problem does not represent some quality control issue with Blackstar, but I know that this could happen to any tube amplifier by any maker. And I do really like the way it sounds when it’s not honking at me!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EastwoodMike
    Curious- How is the output power managed? Is there still an output transformer or is the weight saving primarily in the use of a switch mode power supply and digital reverb? Or did they do some clever reactive load coupling between the output tubes and the speakers as well?
    Yes, there is an OT. However, it is not the biggest one I've seen on a 50W amp...

User Info Menu

The replacement arrived a few days ago. Sweetwater is good to deal with for sure. So this one seems cherry. Really is a very good sounding amp. While I got it for the clean channel I started checking out channel 2 with rock and hard blues. It’s very dynamic and responsive.

User Info Menu

Hi again- So the replacement sounded great and then started blowing the main power fuse over and over 2 weeks ago. Probably a bad rectifier tube but unknown. Just before this happened I ordered a cover made for the St James at Custom Amp Covers
    I really like the amp but feel snake bitten and returned it and got fender tonemaster (digital) deluxe reverb., exactly the same weight. It's quite good and I have a great dumble clone Overdrive Reverb for that still unmistakable tube vibe. But, to quote Arlo Guthrie that's not what I came here to talk about, I came here to talk about the draft.... nope not that either. I came here to see if anyone here would like the cover! It's very nice, thick with good size pockets, black color. Doesn't fit the deluxe reverb. They'll charge 30% restocking (fair since they make them when ordered). I paid $75 so I'd get roughly $50 back. I'd love to see it on a fellow Jazz Guitar member's amp. I'll ask $40 plus shipping before I send it back.

User Info Menu

Just before this happened I ordered a cover made for the St James at Custom Amp Covers
    Unfortunately, I can't use the cover. But you got me curious about its maker (of whom I'd never heard). So I checked their website and found a great deal (50% off!) on a heavy vinyl cover for my Blu 6. Apparently, this one was ordered and returned, hence the sale price.

I emailed them about the size, since it only said "Henriksen Bud" without specifying which Bud. I got a very nice answer from Glen within an hour, including their spec drawing with dimensions. It's for the Bud / Blu 6 and it's now on its way to me. With such quick and personal communication and what looks like a decent product line, I'll gladly order from them again. Thanks for letting us know about Custom Amp Covers!

I still love StudioSlips and have bought 9 or 10 custom bags from them since they opened years ago. And I'd use them again for special needs. They've put extra heavy carrying straps on my bags that go all the way around the bottom, custom sized handles, reinforcement at stress points for heavy gear, etc. But for simple stuff with no more embellishments than outside pockets, Custom Amp Covers is a lot less expensive.

You might want to post your cover on the JGO For Sale forum, and I suggest including the dimensions of the amplifier for which it was made. I've bought and sold a few gig and gear bags there - it's a great place to put and find unneeded stuff in search of a new home. Our little community is a lot safer and easier for buying and selling than the local and national online sales venues. And you can't beat the great people who participate in JGO! GLWTS.

User Info Menu

Bad news that the St James seems to have reliability problems right out of the box.. I was interested with it but your experience with two faulty units just dropped my enthusiasm right away.
    I tried a Fender Vibrochamp Reverb 5W, one of the preamp tube was defective right out of the box, causing white noise and unbearable crackling noises when the tremolo was engaged.
    Bought a Supro Amulet, the amp had some kind of crackling sounds at the very first powering.. It disappeared after noodling the input jack a few times (static?)
    .. After a day or 2, the amp sounded very good but quiet one day, the next one very loud, but harsh and aggressive.. Power tube failure?
    To reach the tube, you needed to dismantle the amp (they were mounted horizontally facing the front of the amp, all behind)
    I just lost confidence with the whole thing, and sent it back for refund.
    Still trying to find a good tube amp. Getting a well made and reliable tube amps is an impossible quest?
    Some of you have been satisfied with the St James reliability after a good amount of use?
    Last edited by Jx30510; 05-09-2023 at 05:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    Bad news that the St James seems to have reliability problems right out of the box.. I was interested with it but your experience with two faulty units just dropped my enthusiasm right away.
    I tried a Fender Vibrochamp Reverb 5W, one of the preamp tube was defective right out of the box, causing white noise and unbearable crackling noises when the tremolo was engaged.
    Bought a Supro Amulet, the amp had some kind of crackling sounds at the very first powering.. It disappeared after noodling the input jack a few times (static?)
    .. After a day or 2, the amp sounded very good but quiet one day, the next one very loud, but harsh and aggressive.. Power tube failure?
    To reach the tube, you needed to dismantle the amp (they were mounted horizontally facing the front of the amp, all behind)
    I just lost confidence with the whole thing, and sent it back for refund.
    Still trying to find a good tube amp. Getting a well made and reliable tube amps is an impossible quest?
    Some of you have been satisfied with the St James reliability after a good amount of use?
    Uh. Unbelievable bad luck is happening more often than before.

Here is some background around the tubes of the world in this article:
    Don’t Sell Your Tube Amps! - Premier Guitar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    Uh. Unbelievable bad luck is happening more often than before.

Here is some background around the tubes of the world in this article:
    Don’t Sell Your Tube Amps! - Premier Guitar
    Very informative read, thanks. Applying it to my situation it does appear that Blackstar may have an issue with the quality of the tubes that they are purchasing. Given my experiences of 2 brand new amps with tube problems. One reason I went all in for an Amplified Nation overdrive reverb is that they’re made an hour from where I live in Massachusetts, and Taylor Cox is very responsive. I am confident that he would steer me to good quality tubes when and if needed.

User Info Menu

Maybe I'll take my chance with the Blackstar St James EL34.
    If I have a problem I can send it back after all. Really like the features and design, and it seems a lot of people love the way it sounds

User Info Menu

I do think it’s worth it jx. I like the sound so much I almost got another. If I didn’t have another tube amp I would have.
    Back to the cover. I feel the forum in general has given so much to me including on this thread I’d like to give back and make it available to someone here for free. I’d enjoy that very much in fact.