The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 47 of 47

User Info Menu

Happy NGD.

I hope you didn’t go through all the trouble that others have dealing with Borys?

It’s a shame that when Vinny had his b120 recently made, Borys didn’t answer any of his attempts to make contact; on receipt of the guitar the electronics didn’t work, the case and guitar were covered in sawdust and wood chips, the tail piece, even though Vinny had specifically asked Borys not to give him that style of finish, was wrong and the nut width was wrong, making the guitar essentially unplayable for those wanting/needing the smaller nut width.
    All of this joyful experience for a cool 6k.

It’s also sad that to top it off, some people on the forum who are big fans of Borys, essentially told a Vinny it was his fault and that he should apologise to a Borys for even telling anyone. It seems some fans of Borys can be as difficult to deal with as the man himself.

Enjoy your guitar B120. I’m sure it’s a wonderful sounding instrument.
    Last edited by Archie; 12-02-2022 at 05:47 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

if she sounds like she looks, wow !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fabiansey
    The guitar really looks great. Enjoy it!
    Thank you!

User Info Menu

For me it was no trouble at all. His communication can be slow to be sure, I've always talked to him after the sale (own 2 of his guitars) he's answered the phone promptly. Guess I've been lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    Happy NGD.

I hope you didn’t go through all the trouble that others have dealing with Borys?

It’s a shame that when Vinny had his b120 recently made, Borys didn’t answer any of his attempts to make contact; on receipt of the guitar the electronics didn’t work, the case and guitar were covered in sawdust and wood chips, the tail piece, even though Vinny had specifically asked Borys not to give him that style of finish, was wrong and the nut width was wrong, making the guitar essentially unplayable for those wanting/needing the smaller nut width.
    All of this joyful experience for a cool 6k.

It’s also sad that to top it off, some people on the forum who are big fans of Borys, essentially told a Vinny it was his fault and that he should apologise to a Borys for even telling anyone. It seems some fans of Borys can be as difficult to deal with as the man himself.

Enjoy your guitar B120. I’m sure it’s a wonderful sounding instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itsmyname
    if she sounds like she looks, wow !

I don't think anyone makes a better sounding laminate. The sound is really what I was after. It came out so nice looking I guess that's why I've been so excited. Thank you..

User Info Menu

Beautiful. I like the inlay at the first fret, which most Borys guitars don’t seem to have. It’s a small thing, but to me it just looks right to have that. And…I think I like the relic’d tailpiece. I feel like I want a Borys now.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Beautiful. I like the inlay at the first fret, which most Borys guitars don’t seem to have. It’s a small thing, but to me it just looks right to have that. And…I think I like the relic’d tailpiece. I feel like I want a Borys now.
    Keith
    Thank you Keith,
    Starting the inlay at the first fret was actually an afterthought on my part. I sent Roger a text a month or 2 after placing my order. I simply asked can we start the inlay at the first fret. I got no response so I had no expectation. When he sent me a midway progress picture the fingerboard showed message received. I have other instances of that. The man listens. To me though honest to god, I just love the sound his guitars make, and the aesthetics of this one is icing on the cake. Get one before it's too late!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    That finish is awesome. It’s in between a blonde and a sunburst.
    Very nice touch.
    honey. Really cool.

User Info Menu

Yes that is what I was steering Roger towards. His blondes were more on the brown side which I didn't like. He added red almost a burst because he knew I wanted flame wood and he believes flame looks blotchy one color. I let him do his thing and really it didn't matter. I wanted the guitar for it's sound and feel. Did come out really cool though!

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    honey. Really cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    ...Mine's due to arrive...any... minute... now...
    Ha! Truck pulled up about 15 mins after posting. I'm very happy so far. It'll be a while before I can take the time for pictures and posting, but it'll happen.

The B. will stay, but I need to do some careful comparisons to decide who's going to be shown the door :-)

User Info Menu

I don't know that I can really add anything to the congratulations already offered by others. I have jonesed for a B120 ever since I saw a photograph of Emily Remler playing one many years ago. I like the proportions, the curves, the headstock, the shape of the F holes, the shape of the tailpiece a lot. The guitar looks very unified aesthetically. Borys's finishing skill is outstanding as well. And in all the examples I've ever heard, the tone is outstanding. This one is a beauty! (So is Vinny's, for that matter). Congratulations and enjoy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Ha! Truck pulled up about 15 mins after posting. I'm very happy so far. It'll be a while before I can take the time for pictures and posting, but it'll happen.

The B. will stay, but I need to do some careful comparisons to decide who's going to be shown the door :-)
    That is great! I knew you would like it. Wait to you play if for a while "personalize" it. It's the sound for me at least.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I don't know that I can really add anything to the congratulations already offered by others. I have jonesed for a B120 ever since I saw a photograph of Emily Remler playing one many years ago. I like the proportions, the curves, the headstock, the shape of the F holes, the shape of the tailpiece a lot. The guitar looks very unified aesthetically. Borys's finishing skill is outstanding as well. And in all the examples I've ever heard, the tone is outstanding. This one is a beauty! (So is Vinny's, for that matter). Congratulations and enjoy.
    Thank you! Your right Vinnys is great as well. I know we are all different but I'm hoping that he will really like the sound. If you enjoy what you are hearing, you enjoy your playing and not much else matters.

User Info Menu

This is the older brother. Jimmy Wyble model.
    Borys B-120-dsc_8563-jpg
    Last edited by skiboyny; 12-02-2022 at 07:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    This is the older brother.Borys B-120-dsc_8563-jpg
    Is that a B420, or a Jimmy Wyble model? He and Jimmy were very close. When Jimmy died, he decided to make model for him.

Another thing about Roger that irks some people is that he never advertises, or goes to any of the guitar shows like all the other luthiers. He also turns down any big name players who call him up, and ask him for a free guitar if they endorse it.
    He mentioned that Herb Ellis tried to pull that crap with him, and he told Herb to screw off. Same thing with Paul Asbell.
    He's always relied on word-of-mouth to sell his guitars, not hype, which irks some other luthiers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Is that a B420, or a Jimmy Wyble model? He and Jimmy were very close. When Jimmy died, he decided to make model for him.

Another thing about Roger that irks some people is that he never advertises, or goes to any of the guitar shows like all the other luthiers. He also turns down any big name players who call him up, and ask him for a free guitar if they endorse it.
    He mentioned that Herb Ellis tried to pull that crap with him, and he told Herb to screw off. Same thing with Paul Asbell.
    He's always relied on word-of-mouth to sell his guitars, not hype, which irks some other luthiers.
    That is a Jimmy Wyble model It really got me on the Borys bandwagon. Not a day gone by that I haven't played that guitar. Till yesterday

User Info Menu

That is a Jimmy Wyble model It really got me on the Borys bandwagon. Not a day gone by that I haven't played that guitar. Till yesterday
    Actually, isn't the Wyble model B160? Mine isn 't in front of me right now.

Curious about the difference between the two sound and playing wise. I am kind of used to the 25" scale at this point, have longer on Fenders and shorter on a Gibson.

I don't find there to be much of a problem switching between them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill

Curious about the difference between the two sound and playing wise. I am kind of used to the 25" scale at this point, have longer on Fenders and shorter on a Gibson.

I haven’t spent much time comparing. They both have the borys vibe. Touch sensitive, the notes hang and bloom with attack rather then compress. The scales are different (b120 shorter)but I really can’t notice while playing. The necks feel different the b120 seems just a bit chunkier. I’m not really thinking it’s a model difference just a deviation in build. The b120 has a deeper cut away and I believe the very high notes ring out better that may just be the better access though. Right now the guitars have different strings on them. I have to get set up exactly the same to really give you a better description. I will work at that.

User Info Menu

... I believe the very high notes ring out better...
    I don't know how that compares between 120 and Wyble, but it's a thing. I commented on it when Doug posted his NGD. Check out the last note, and it gets cut off:

Of course, we have to take into account what a great player he is!!

User Info Menu

I think I have a better answer for you. The Wyble is a little louder acoustically and the timber is just a little lower. I've put lots of hours on the Wyble and the B-120 of course is brand new. I don't know if a laminate changes with time. You have to listen side by side to even hear this. When your playing it they seem very close. Amped up they are both big and fat.

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill

User Info Menu

To my eyes, one of the most beautiful archtops ever designed. Mr. Borys has some serious talent.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m_d
    To my eyes, one of the most beautiful archtops ever designed. Mr. Borys has some serious talent.
    I have to agree with you. I always have to add that in the past I've had some really stunning archtops. It's easy to lose interest if the sound isn't captivating. His guitars really cover that part for my ears.