The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 47

User Info Menu

Just got my new guitar and very excited! It's not often that I even feel the urge to share a guitar but Roger Borys really knocked this one right out of the park. Don't let his age fool you he hasn't lost a beat. This is my second Borys the first one being a Wyble model that I bought from Roger already completed. The sound of the Wyble totally sold me on his guitars and it hasn't left my hands since the day I got it.I have owned (still own) more than my fair share of archtop guitars but this one is the first that I custom ordered. I am pretty impatient and never was fond of the waiting for something, I couldn't see but this one was totally worth the wait. I am not a previous friend of Roger Borys and have no connection to him whatsoever. I'm just a guy that sent him a e-mail a little over a year ago. There has been a lot of chit chat over the years about Roger and communication. I researched both sides and talked with several people that had good and bad experiences. We communicated via Phone, text and email depending on the situation. I found Roger totally accessible if not a little slow to respond. He is a man of very few words but I can tell you this He listens very well to you and because you get so little input you might not see that. Anyway my B-120 is a stock model and the only thing we had to hammer out was color and inlays. Probably took the better part of a week to come to agreement. Both of us took our time with this part. I wanted a blonde but something a little different than the colors I had seen of his. I did not communicate with him during the build. I found no need, it was always ahead of schedule at the draw time and completion time. I simply let the man do his work. This guitar has far exceeded any expectations I ever had! It's absolutely beautiful and although I've played it very little,the set up fret work and action height is exactly the way I would want it. Very low, jet straight neck and no buzzing anywhere. For me Roger has been a pleasure to work with doing exactly what he said he would in less than 10 months! I have to strongly recommend Roger Borys!
    Borys B-120-dsc_8552-copy-jpgBorys B-120-dsc_8555-copy-jpgBorys B-120-dsc_8542-copy-jpgBorys B-120-dsc_8549-copy-jpgBorys B-120-dsc_8550-copy-jpgBorys B-120-dsc_8548-copy-jpgBorys B-120-dsc_8546-copy-jpgBorys B-120-dsc_8554-copy-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A real beauty. A big Congrats and do enjoy.
    Nice early Christmas present for sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    A real beauty. A big Congrats and do enjoy.
    Nice early Christmas present for sure.
    Thank you Vinny. I hope you end up loving yours as well.

User Info Menu

Looking good!
    I like the color...

User Info Menu

That finish is awesome. It’s in between a blonde and a sunburst.
    Very nice touch.

User Info Menu

I guess all is well in the world of the JGF!

User Info Menu

Skiboyny,
    Wow ! I love the color - it really accentuates the flame ! So glad to hear that you had a wonderful experience with this build. It’s always more exciting when the outcome exceeds your expectations. Additionally, sharing this experience provides some insight for others who might be interested in one of Rogers guitars.

I was playing my B120 earlier today, and I’m always amazed at the tone. It has that natural reverb vibe - and awesome balance found in many high end carved guitars.

Thanks so much for sharing ! Wishing you many years of enjoyment ……

User Info Menu

Skibony,

What a beauty! I can almost hear and feel the instrument from those pictures. It’s posts like this that flame the ever glowing embers of GAS with which I suffer. Please delete this post!

AKA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Looking good!
    I like the color...
    Thank you Roger and I exchanged a few photos of his past builds but none were exactly what I was looking for. I described it and let him improvise. I feel like he really tuned in to what I was after.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA
    Skibony,

What a beauty! I can almost hear and feel the instrument from those pictures. It’s posts like this that flame the ever glowing embers of GAS with which I suffer. Please delete this post!

AKA
    Thanks so much! This post stays. The guitar sounds maybe better than it looks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Skiboyny,
    Wow ! I love the color - it really accentuates the flame ! So glad to hear that you had a wonderful experience with this build. It’s always more exciting when the outcome exceeds your expectations. Additionally, sharing this experience provides some insight for others who might be interested in one of Rogers guitars.

I was playing my B120 earlier today, and I’m always amazed at the tone. It has that natural reverb vibe - and awesome balance found in many high end carved guitars.

Thanks so much for sharing ! Wishing you many years of enjoyment ……
    Thank you! These guitars have all the attributes of a laminate with the response and ring of a carved top. Really the best of both worlds! When I sent the deposit I wrote a little note: Deposit for B-120 flamed to death with sound from the gods. Roger delivered.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    That finish is awesome. It’s in between a blonde and a sunburst.
    Very nice touch.
    I'm pretty proud of that, but the truth is Roger took a description and improvised. I really think he's very proud of his work. He should be.

User Info Menu

Skiboyny,

That is one fine looking archtop! Wow!
    Really gives meaning to beauty!

Congratulations! I'm happy for you! And I'm trying not to be jealous!

Very cool.

Steve

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Skiboyny,

That is one fine looking archtop! Wow!
    Really gives meaning to beauty!

Congratulations! I'm happy for you! And I'm trying not to be jealous!

Very cool.

Steve
    Steve, Thank you!

User Info Menu

That is a beautiful variation of a light sunburst finish. The guitar is stunning to look at and is put together with the right appointments. To me this is an example of the perfect number of appointments and gingerbread for jazz guitar. Inlay in the neck this is pointed without getting away from tradition and function. I personally want inlay in the neck no question here at all. The binding appears to be wood binding and is simply put together wonderfully.

If you cannot play jazz on something like that it has nothing to do with the guitar. I am curious of the acoustic output even though that is not the design. Just play the frets off this puppy.

User Info Menu

Congratulations! That is a beautiful color indeed!

Doug

User Info Menu

Hopefully when Vinny gets his new tp installed he can post a ngd of his if he chooses.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitpicker
    Congratulations! That is a beautiful color indeed!

Doug
    . Thank you Doug hope your enjoying yours as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Hopefully when Vinny gets his new tp installed he can post a ngd of his if he chooses.
    I thought it looked really nice. The sound is the real catch. I sincerely hope he falls in love with it, they are a great guitar.

User Info Menu

Nice :

PBS video at about 2'.30"
    Crossroads | Borys Guitars | Season 8 | PBS

S

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    That is a beautiful variation of a light sunburst finish. The guitar is stunning to look at and is put together with the right appointments. To me this is an example of the perfect number of appointments and gingerbread for jazz guitar. Inlay in the neck this is pointed without getting away from tradition and function. I personally want inlay in the neck no question here at all. The binding appears to be wood binding and is simply put together wonderfully.

If you cannot play jazz on something like that it has nothing to do with the guitar. I am curious of the acoustic output even though that is not the design. Just play the frets off this puppy.
    Thanks so much for the compliment. Acoustically it’s surprisingly good. I have the Wyble model also (very similar tone) and play it without an amp quite often. I haven’t spent enough time with this one but I always listen to a guitars Accoustic voice for quite a few hours before I ever plug it in. I’m very satisfied so far.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SOLR
    Nice :

PBS video at about 2'.30"
    Crossroads | Borys Guitars | Season 8 | PBS

S
    seen this one thanks for posting

User Info Menu

Wow Ski!! Nice color! Mine's due to arrive...any... minute... now. My fear is I'm gonna look at my Amber and be disappointed I don't have your finish!! :-0

Same goes for Vinny's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Wow Ski!! Nice color! Mine's due to arrive...any... minute... now. My fear is I'm gonna look at my Amber and be disappointed I don't have your finish!! :-0

Same goes for Vinny's.
    Thanks! I’m excited for you. You won’t care if your guitar has a finish at all once you play it for a bit. He seems to have turned out a nice batch this run. Be sure and post a ngd would love to hear your impressions.

User Info Menu

The guitar really looks great. Enjoy it!