The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Hello,

Can someone help me with this Ibanez?

Ibanez Identification-242812868_1089149641889431_4319982044343487086_n-jpg

The picture represents Benjamin Sauzereau, a very interesting Belgian Jazz guitarist, (jazz and beyond).
    I heard him play this guitar and he sounded wonderful (I presume he sounds wonderful on other guitars to...)

I tried the ibanez wiki fandom but to no avail.
    Any help appreciated.

Stefaan

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's an older spec AS93.

User Info Menu

Thank you!

And older specs mean better quality?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitaarklas
    Thank you!

artcores are the budget range for Ibanez. There is likely little difference in quality at this price point. Unless it is a special edition, which I doubt.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    artcores are the budget range for Ibanez. There is likely little difference in quality at this price point. Unless it is a special edition, which I doubt.
    Older probably means made in Korea or China and not.......INDONESIA!

User Info Menu

I've no idea I'm afraid. I merely mean that the AS93 model as it exists today has some cosmetic differences. I can't speak to any other differences in iterations of the model over time.

User Info Menu

Thank you!

Not necessarily. Ibanez could change factory and even country of manufacture for a given model even within a year. Sometimes it's because a factory had issues, and then newer specs could be better. Sometimes it may be the result of a factory making genuinely significant improvements but the moment those improvements resulted in a cost increase at the factory production level, those plants would be supplanted by a new factory building to the old (not as nice) specs, or simply not as good for cheaper would win out. I've seen a particular model steadily get better only to see a dramatic rollback in quality, with a different factory of origin on the newer boxes.
    While I worked for Ibanez, I kept a personal log of quality and factory of origin...just so I could know the pulse of what the best guitars had in common.
    Early 80's however, they were trying really hard to make the best across the board at that point. In my mind they did it.
    The Artcores were an interesting story. Many of the first artcores were the first guitars to be built to the same specs as the Fujigens, and they were quite good. Not the same but really good. But then they became a branding name and they could get away with more inconsistencies as people saw that name as synonymous with quality. I've seen artcore dogs. Some got sent back as a lot after massive issues with acclimatization. That's another story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Many of the first artcores were the first guitars to be built to the same specs as the Fujigens, and they were quite good. Not the same but really good. But then they became a branding name and they could get away with more inconsistencies as people saw that name as synonymous with quality. I've seen artcore dogs. Some got sent back as a lot after massive issues with acclimatization. That's another story.
    Which of the Artcore models would these be? I was aware of this with "Artstar," (some of which were MIJ, some MIK) but not with "Artcore".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Which of the Artcore models would these be? I was aware of this with "Artstar," (some of which were MIJ, some MIK) but not with "Artcore".
    Mea Culpa, you're absolutely right. I'd confused the names. Oops. Take that statement I made back, the names get me mixed up. (I was confused by the similarity of names. Gosh. Hope that doesn't happen to anyone else.)
    Thanks for pointing that out, hope I didn't add to the confusion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Mea Culpa, you're absolutely right. I'd confused the names. Oops. Take that statement I made back, the names get me mixed up. (I was confused by the similarity of names. Gosh. Hope that doesn't happen to anyone else.)
    Thanks for pointing that out, hope I didn't add to the confusion.
    Thanks for clearing it up. For sure, the similarity of the two is confusing. If Ibanez is blurring the line on purpose that would be a shame.