The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

hey
    I have a 2004 es165 and need a replacement tailpiece. I want to go with an original one to retain as much of the value of the guitar as possible. Was it made in house or by other manufacturers?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a genuine Gibson gold tp, three parallelogram style, not zigzag. Lemme know if you’re interested.

Aaron

User Info Menu

If you need a re-plate (not sure if your TP is damaged or if a re-plate will do), Advanced Plating does the plating for Gibson. I had them redo the gold plating on my Super 400 tailpiece because I wanted it to be exactly the right color and quality. I don't know if they make the actual tp.
    Advanced Plating Inc.

User Info Menu

Advanced Plating makes various tailpieces for Gibson, including archtop tailpieces.
    These days, most of Gibson's hardware is made by Ping, in China.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 11-30-2022 at 03:30 PM.

User Info Menu

WD Music has the wider spaced zig zag style as opposed to the tight zig zag of the late '50's and early '60's. They recently replenished their stock. They should have a gold one which is what I had on my '92 ES-165.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitpicker
    If you need a re-plate (not sure if your TP is damaged or if a re-plate will do), Advanced Plating does the plating for Gibson. I had them redo the gold plating on my Super 400 tailpiece because I wanted it to be exactly the right color and quality. I don't know if they make the actual tp.
    Advanced Plating Inc.
    Good to know, as I’ve lost a bunch of the gold plating on my L5’s tailpiece, but I had heard that replating covers a bunch of the engraving definition, which is apparently done last. Did that work out well for you? What was the price range for the plating, if you don’t mind me asking? I see NOS tailpieces for L5’s on reverb in the $300 to $400 range.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    ... I see NOS tailpieces for L5’s on reverb in the $300 to $400 range.
    L-5 archtop tailpieces? Only one listing in that price range that I can see, for a NOS tailpiece with a missing badge. Screamingly good deal, IMO. Otherwise, much more expensive.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 12-13-2022 at 04:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    L-5 archtop tailpieces? Only one listing in that price range that I can see, for a NOS tailpiece with a missing badge. Screamingly good deal, IMO. Otherwise, much more expensive.
    And there is a replica badge offered as well !! Together would probably work and requires only a couple of screws and nuts.
    NB I still have a mint L5CT tailpiece lying around somewhere from an abandoned earlier project in case someone needs one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    That one, and occasionally others, but often much more, up to $800 or so. Could obviously swap the badge.