The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 36

User Info Menu

I bought one of these 5 years ago but had to give it to a friend to get a guitar back that I mistakenly sold to him. It was the only way he would sell back my guitar.
    I missed that amp ever since. IMO these are the best sounding amps I ever heard even at bedroom levels. Fat, clean, articulate, and super touch sensitive.
    Yes they are heavy but go big or go home. To me the Bassman and the Twin is the wholly grail of jazz tone.

1959 Fender Bassman-ea8657aa-31a3-45b2-9f4b-a397830c1136-jpg1959 Fender Bassman-0714e68b-6cb5-4e96-839c-cb2bd3f60ca4-jpg1959 Fender Bassman-a856b81d-44f5-438e-b339-18355f58877d-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

agreed , I play through a cheapish
    bassman copy into a 2x12 cab at
    a rehearsal studios sometimes

its lovely , big round and smooth
    as silk

User Info Menu

In an age where everyone is going, light, lighter, lightest about everything from guitars to amps, I still get funny looks lugging around my old 60s L-5s and Super 400s and blackface Twins, though I'm using similar vintage Vibrolux Reverbs again.
    but yeah, big guitars and big amps sound, well, big.

User Info Menu

?Amen

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    In an age where everyone is going, light, lighter, lightest about everything from guitars to amps, I still get funny looks lugging around my old 60s L-5s and Super 400s and blackface Twins, though I'm using similar vintage Vibrolux Reverbs again.
    but yeah, big guitars and big amps sound, well, big.

User Info Menu

While I agree they sound great and the tone is wonderful, I have no desire to lug them around. Give me a little small amp they gets sound and I am happy. My Claris and RE twin 8 s do sound as good and actually amplify a guitar based on how that guitar responds, that is better and much, much lighter. If I had a roadie and crew possible bring one would work for some things.

User Info Menu

Tough to beat! Lots of power and paper. Do you add reverb?

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    Tough to beat! Lots of power and paper. Do you add reverb?
    Actually with the light big pine cab you get a natural reverb with it.

User Info Menu

Nice contrast to the portable amps threads around. I’m not gonna pretend any of my little amps sound anywhere near as good as a bassman.

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    While I agree they sound great and the tone is wonderful, I have no desire to lug them around. Give me a little small amp they gets sound and I am happy. My Claris and RE twin 8 s do sound as good and actually amplify a guitar based on how that guitar responds, that is better and much, much lighter. If I had a roadie and crew possible bring one would work for some things.
    I was a lineman for 30 years. Climbing poles with 75lbs strapped to me was a daily occurrence.
    50lbs is a sack of potatoes for me. Regardless it is a home use amp. My Henriksen’s do the traveling out.
    I am a HUGE Henriksen fan but the Bassman kicks sand in its face.
    The bigger the car the better the ride.

User Info Menu

You just can’t avoid eternal truths…

Size matters.

Right guys?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Actually with the light big pine cab you get a natural reverb with it.
    Ohh. I got it. Disregard the question I asked about this earlier. That must be better.
    Very cool.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I was a lineman for 30 years. Climbing poles with 75lbs strapped to me was a daily occurrence.
    50lbs is a sack of potatoes for me.

User Info Menu

You won't get an argument out of me!

Back in the late '70's my rig was a 1959 and 1960 (mint) bassman, with a Roland Chorus tape echo in between.

Granted, not a jazz rig, more of a fusion/progressive rock gig.

Oh, '60 ES345 and '63 strat, or a '66 telecaster Custom.

Those were some tones. And yes, nice jazz tones when played quiet.

User Info Menu

Of course bigger is better...my modified Fender Super Twin Reverb. Dumble style preamp section with six 6L6 tube output section. 180W.

1959 Fender Bassman-final-front-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    Of course bigger is better...my modified Fender Super Twin Reverb. Dumble style preamp section with six 6L6 tube output section. 180W.

1959 Fender Bassman-final-front-jpg
    when a twin just isn’t enough !

User Info Menu

Big bottom
    Big bottom
    Talk about mudflaps
    My girls got them
    Big bottom drives me out of my mind
    How can I leave that behind?

BIG BOTTOM
    SPINAL TAP

nice score Vinny

User Info Menu

Ah, Spinal Tap. Masters of the single entendre.

User Info Menu

Congratulations! I got the same amp four years ago. It is my favorite amp hands down - and I have a couple nice ones. Yes it sounds great at low volumes. I’ve never had mine up loud enough to break up. I use pedals for that stuff. The amp has such a wonderful clean sound. String separation and articulation is superb. Playing it is like driving a car with 400 hp under the hood, but not necessarily having to floor it at every light. And there is something about amps with multiple speakers that give the sound an extra dimension and ability to fill a space, without necessarily being louder. Sounds great with the 7 string too.

User Info Menu

Great amp! Congrats and may she inspire you for many years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigracer
    Congratulations! I got the same amp four years ago. It is my favorite amp hands down - and I have a couple nice ones. Yes it sounds great at low volumes. I’ve never had mine up loud enough to break up. I use pedals for that stuff. The amp has such a wonderful clean sound. String separation and articulation is superb. Playing it is like driving a car with 400 hp under the hood, but not necessarily having to floor it at every light. And there is something about amps with multiple speakers that give the sound an extra dimension and ability to fill a space, without necessarily being louder. Sounds great with the 7 string too.
    You are 100% correct

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Ah, Spinal Tap. Masters of the single entendre.
    Every amp needs a set of these........

1959 Fender Bassman-knob_to_11-jpg

User Info Menu

Vinny will you jump channels to get your tone?
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick71
    Vinny will you jump channels to get your tone?
    Nick
    No I love just the normal channel. My tone is right there.

User Info Menu

I agree with every testimony given here in this thread. I miss my BF Twin that I used with an extra Bassman 2 -12 cab. You know, it was necessary back in the 70's! We didn't play loud, but in dance clubs, I was the one filling out the rhythm section because we didn't have a keyboard player. Or so I thought!

The BF Twin was better than the SF Twin I bought (to be au-current). Mint condition for a "used" price.

You know, I bought some really good used stuff back then from guys who had to liquidate because they got married, and some wives wouldn't allow bands in their lives!!!

anyway, back to Vinnyv1k, I'm not sure, did you get a newer "59" BM to replace the one you let go? Or is this just reminiscence? But I do agree, I played one at GC, and thought..."this IS the amp". Of course, they also had a real '59.
    But, I was downsizing. However I did buy the L5 CES that I tried that day!

Yes this one I just got from Sweetwater. Brand new Black Friday deal $1650.00.